Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Feeling poor
Previous  1  2  3

justforfun87

Post Mon, Oct 23 2023, 2:06 pm
amother Chartreuse wrote:
300k and still poor just doesnt add up. Were at 230 a family of seven and while we live frugally we are not poor. We choose to live simply, wear hand me downs, have a modest home, dont indulge in fancy foods, use the food pantry, rarely have cleaning help and occasional take out, occasionally go on cheap vacations (1-2k). This way we can save to renovate our home iyh, save for modest simchas, pay for tutors, extra curricular, and therapies for our kids to help them be the best they can be and pay almost full tuition (37k). Yes I can call myself poor because I cant get everything I want and still need to have pancakes and sandwiches for suppers and take handme downs to make my budget work.

But I'm not poor. I'm trying to make smart financial decisions. I am investing in my children's wellbeing and our future financial stability.

Stop calling yourself poor if you live in a huge house! Sell the house, buy something you can afford and invest in your future so that one day you can actually afford a beautiful home!

Just curious, your food pantry isn't income based? I would think if you have what to scurry away for future spending then you wouldn't qualify for food banks.

amother
Diamond

Post Mon, Oct 23 2023, 2:45 pm
300k and still poor just doesnt add up. Were at 230 a family of seven and while we live frugally we are not poor. We choose to live simply, wear hand me downs, have a modest home, dont indulge in fancy foods, use the food pantry, rarely have cleaning help and occasional take out, occasionally go on cheap vacations (1-2k). This way we can save to renovate our home iyh, save for modest simchas, pay for tutors, extra curricular, and therapies for our kids to help them be the best they can be and pay almost full tuition (37k). Yes I can call myself poor because I cant get everything I want and still need to have pancakes and sandwiches for suppers and take handme downs to make my budget work.

But I'm not poor. I'm trying to make smart financial decisions. I am investing in my children's wellbeing and our future financial stability.

Stop calling yourself poor if you live in a huge house! Sell the house, buy something you can afford and invest in your future so that one day you can actually afford a beautiful home!

37k for tuition for 5 kids is not a lot for almost full?? are your kids young? I pay about that for 4 kids on a lot of tuition assistance, half the schools are giving us around 50% off. (We make less than 230. I was just commenting on the tuition bec I'm surprised it can be so low. If your kids are young and that's why, just be prepared for tuition to jump for highschool/yeshivas) And kudos to you for making smart financial decisions!

amother
Hosta

Post Mon, Oct 23 2023, 2:47 pm
amother Diamond wrote:
37k for tuition for 5 kids is not a lot for almost full?? are your kids young? I pay about that for 4 kids on a lot of tuition assistance, half the schools are giving us around 50% off. (We make less than 230. I was just commenting on the tuition bec I'm surprised it can be so low. If your kids are young and that's why, just be prepared for tuition to jump for highschool/yeshivas) And kudos to you for making smart financial decisions!

If divided evenly it is $7,400 per child which I think is the norm for tuition in Lakewood. Not sure if this person lives in Lakewood but just saying. Housing is expensive in Lakewood compared to out of town but out of town tuition is so much higher than Lakewood’s.

amother
Almond

Post Mon, Oct 23 2023, 4:58 pm
amother Blushpink wrote:
I'm not an "aliya is for everyone at this point" fan. But if you're asking about other countries, living here in Israel is way, way cheaper.
Schooling is cheap or free.
Medical insurance is very minimal cost.
Most times you don't need to run two cars.
You can get excellent therpay on insurance.
CHildren who need extra help in school can get it government funded.
There is way, way less competition and social pressure.

On a 300 000 you would be rich here.

I dont make 300k a year, that would be nice haha. I have to start a new thread about this, but what would you say is an OK budget to have in e"y for a chareidi family? I know its community dependent but on average... like my SIL told me that making 15k-20k NIS a month is "amazing" - in America that doesnt get us far....

Highstrung

Post Mon, Oct 23 2023, 5:42 pm
amother Diamond wrote:

This . Just one highschool kid of mine , his tuition is $19k

amother
Chartreuse

Post Mon, Oct 23 2023, 5:56 pm
amother Hosta wrote:
If divided evenly it is $7,400 per child which I think is the norm for tuition in Lakewood. Not sure if this person lives in Lakewood but just saying. Housing is expensive in Lakewood compared to out of town but out of town tuition is so much higher than Lakewood’s.

We live oot but tuition is comparable to Lakewood maybe a drop higher. One baby and one preschool kid the others are school age. High school jumps to about 12k. Hopefully our income will continue to increase to meet the demands of older kids. I'm not saying it's easy. I'm saying it's ridiculous to call yourself poor at 300k. Sorry you don't belong in this thread. Make another thread about how it's hard not to 'have shefa' as another poster put it.

And no the food pantry is not income dependent. In our city it is specifically for those who do not get food stamps or community food assistance.

mig100

Post Mon, Oct 23 2023, 6:10 pm
amother Begonia wrote:
After taxes, she's probably coming home with more like $200k. Plus no subsidized health insurance, no tuition discounts, no government assistance whatsoever.

I know it's hard to imagine, we were making $40k for years and now that we're making over $100k we're not in much better shape. But in those days making $100k sounded like a dream. In reality you don't end up with $60k of discretionary income though.

theres also something called inflation. a few years ago 40k got you a lot further than it does now

amother
Turquoise

Post Mon, Oct 23 2023, 6:48 pm
For some reason using community tzeddakah funds in a food pantry to be able to renovate your home is just in poor taste. And not in the spirit of tzeddakah unless of course you told them when you show up why you want to save money on food.

amother
Watermelon

Post Mon, Oct 23 2023, 6:52 pm
I'm making 2,500 a month with 2 kids and managing but tight

amother
Moccasin

Post Mon, Oct 23 2023, 8:07 pm
[quote="amother Chartreuse"]300k and still poor just doesnt add up. Were at 230 a family of seven and while we live frugally we are not poor. We choose to live simply, wear hand me downs, have a modest home, dont indulge in fancy foods, use the food pantry, rarely have cleaning help and occasional take out, occasionally go on cheap vacations (1-2k). This way we can save to renovate our home iyh, save for modest simchas, pay for tutors, extra curricular, and therapies for our kids to help them be the best they can be and pay almost full tuition (37k). Yes I can call myself poor because I cant get everything I want and still need to have pancakes and sandwiches for suppers and take handme downs to make my budget work.

Stop calling yourself poor if you live in a huge house! Sell the house, buy something you can afford and invest in your future so that one day you can actually afford a beautiful home![/quote

I actually live in a tiny home. Bh we bought before inflation hit. It’s 1700 for 7 ppl. We have protein every night because we just don’t fill up otherwise. Do u have bucherim that are fine with pancakes for dinner?? Where do I get hand me downs? We have no one to take from. Everyone gives to their own family. Our families live out of the country. And btw I do thrift shop for myself and if I find appropriate for the kids as well. Honestly I’m not sure why I’m answering u but u are extremely judgemental. U have no clue what kind of out of pocket expenses we have and are crucial to our wellbeing. U have no clue what kind of debt were in because we get zero breaks from anything and have to pay full for everything. Right now I’m wearing a sweatshirt from target from 2 yrs ago. Slippers from Walmart. Socks that I’ve seen holes up in. A skirt with a rip from shell station last yr. And this is kind of my entire wardrobe. Cheap cheap stuff nothing high end. Pls stop with ur assumptions

amother
Chartreuse

Post Mon, Oct 23 2023, 8:53 pm
[quote="amother Moccasin"]

Stop calling yourself poor if you live in a huge house! Sell the house, buy something you can afford and invest in your future so that one day you can actually afford a beautiful home![/quote

I actually live in a tiny home. Bh we bought before inflation hit. It’s 1700 for 7 ppl. We have protein every night because we just don’t fill up otherwise. Do u have bucherim that are fine with pancakes for dinner?? Where do I get hand me downs? We have no one to take from. Everyone gives to their own family. Our families live out of the country. And btw I do thrift shop for myself and if I find appropriate for the kids as well. Honestly I’m not sure why I’m answering u but u are extremely judgemental. U have no clue what kind of out of pocket expenses we have and are crucial to our wellbeing. U have no clue what kind of debt were in because we get zero breaks from anything and have to pay full for everything. Right now I’m wearing a sweatshirt from target from 2 yrs ago. Slippers from Walmart. Socks that I’ve seen holes up in. A skirt with a rip from shell station last yr. And this is kind of my entire wardrobe. Cheap cheap stuff nothing high end. Pls stop with ur assumptions

I'm sorry I really didnt mean to judge. Maybe my reaction was just fear. I'm afraid that when we get to 300-400k we will be in the same boat? Still struggling and using the food pantry and community clothes gemach? Still with all my second hand worn furniture? Still with the paper shades???
Most communities have a clothing gemach also can you ask your friends for clothes? I really only get a few pieces each season but whatever I dont have to buy is money saved for something more important. Of course I also serve more robust suppers mostly ground meat, hotdogs, and chicken on the bone. On pancake night there is more scrounging for yogurt and cereal later. You're right I don't know about your out of pocket expenses. And debt from the days of scrapping by can be a real killer.

May we all be gebentched with parnassah breach and health and wellbeing so that we dont need to spend it on expensive treatment and therapy!!

amother
Acacia

Post Mon, Oct 23 2023, 9:00 pm
[quote="amother Moccasin"]

Ppl hv no idea.
Insurance can be 3k a month or more.
Deductibles can be 16k a year
Therapy- I used to pay 1500 a mth. If not, school wld kick my kid out.
Right there is 60k. And taxes don't take a lot of this into account. Insurance you can only deduct of its post tax & if it's more than a percentage of your gross income.
Older kids eat more than younger ones.
Mesivta is very expensive.
Etc etc.
I totally get how a fam of 7 can feel tight on 300k pre tax.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics