Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Opting out of homework- 3rd grade
Previous  1  2  3

mommyhood

Post Wed, Oct 25 2023, 12:50 pm
amother OP wrote:
According to who and what? According to who will she not be able to succeed in school? She’s doing great and her parents didn’t have homework like this when they were in school and she we are BH doing well now too

You’re not sending her to the same school you went to so it’s not such a relevant argument. The fact is that right or wrong her school values homework which means even if she can get away with passing tests without studying that’s not going to be enough. She’s going to have assignments, reports etc that will require work at home.

amother
Burntblack

Post Wed, Oct 25 2023, 1:12 pm
Bnei Berak 10 wrote:
Stupid school work? You got some attitude.

Yes making my son rewite spelling words a million times at home is stupid. He is a good student and works hard a whole day in school. Let him have his time in the evening to play.

And btw I work in education myself.

Most of the homework given is ridiculous. I don't mind a few minutes practicing skill based subjects. But the worksheets are stupid and unfair. The kids have been sitting all day doing dumb worksheets. Give then a break at home. They are not robots.

Sewsew_mom

Post Wed, Oct 25 2023, 1:22 pm
amother Chartreuse wrote:
I agree with the teacher about the taking responsibility piece. I honestly don't get why a 3rd grader that comes home from school at 4:15 can't do 20 minutes of HW? Especially if she's not a struggling student.
My second grader gets home close to 5:00. I mostly enjoy sitting down for a few minutes a night and doing Homework with her. I get to be a part of what she's learning in school.
On the other hand I have a sister that despises doing HW with her kids. She was a kid that hated homework assignments and it makes her blood boil.
I think it's the attitude towards HW more than anything else.

I never understood this responsibility piece. Why is it that teachers are the ones to teach responsibilities. And why is homework their way. I mean you trust me to teach my kids how to wipe their butts, how to brush their teeth, how to communicate with friends.. But you can't leave me to teach them how to be responsible?
Makes zero sense.
I'm not pro homework. But I tell me kids they can choose to do it or not. I don't do it with them. And if they don't and the teacher gives an outrageous punishment - I speak up.
I do let the teachers know before hand my policy. Let the child decide how they want to handle it.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics