Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Monopoly is WAY too long!
Previous  1  2  3

amother
Sapphire

Post Wed, Oct 25 2023, 3:03 pm
זוללים (slamwich)
פרצופונים (dweebies)
חתחתול (rat a tat cat)
היער הקסום (enchanted forest)
שחמט Chess
דמקה Checkers
ששבש backgammon
ארבע בשורה Connect Four
סטרטגו stratego
צוללות battleship
דאבל (dobble)
פרצופים מצחיקים (like a really funny version of go fish with a twist)
תאקי Taki, it is like uno but has different special cards, we have both and play both
ג'ונגל ספיד jungle speed
דוקים (pick up sticks)
מפולת לבנים (like jenga)
עץ הקופים (I think it is like kerplunk but with monkeys instead of marbles)

#BestBubby

Post Wed, Oct 25 2023, 3:06 pm
seeker wrote:
I feel like giving out the cards like that makes it even more boring. You don't even get the suspense of seeing what you'll land on. Or the aggravation of landing on "just visiting" all the time.

So don't give out properties but use a timer.

But you will have to play longer to recoup your investment of buying the properties.

asmileaday

Post Wed, Oct 25 2023, 3:19 pm
I know you asked for non monopoly suggestions but we love monopoly speed. The whole game takes 10 minutes, it's chaos and so much fun. We're always laughing hysterically by the time we're done. Maybe younger kids can't be as fast but might be worth looking into.
Q-bitz is a great game as well and you can play differently according to skill level. It's shapes so no reading required.

amother
Gray

Post Wed, Oct 25 2023, 3:26 pm
seeker wrote:
BTW even if the kid does really want monopoly, it can sometimes go faster if you go strictly by the rules:
If you don't buy the property you land on, it goes to auction. It never just stays unowned.
You may not be nice. If someone doesn't have enough money, their only option is a bank mortgage. You can't forgive what another player owes you, extend credit, give tzedakah, or anything of the sort or the game will never end because it literally requires most of the players to go bankrupt.

You can also set a number of turns for the whole game to take and then just count who has the highest net worth after, say, 20 turns.

I was going to say similar. I have a kid on the spectrum that loves monotony. I'm not forgetting that line.

2 players is much faster. Noone wants to play with us lately so that helps.

I do zero bonuses and play to the letter of the law.

Way less miserable.

His old favorite board game was settlers of Catan. And the game he stayed obsessed is chess.

amother
Gray

Post Wed, Oct 25 2023, 3:27 pm
amother Sapphire wrote:
זוללים (slamwich)
פרצופונים (dweebies)
חתחתול (rat a tat cat)
שחמט Chess
דמקה Checkers
ששבש backgammon
ארבע בשורה Connect Four
סטרטגו stratego
צוללות battleship
דאבל (dobble)
תאקי Taki, it is like uno but has different special cards, we have both and play both
ג'ונגל ספיד jungle speed
דוקים (pick up sticks)
מפולת לבנים (like jenga)

קטאן. Settlers of Catan

amother
OP

Post Wed, Oct 25 2023, 5:23 pm
amother Sapphire wrote:
זוללים (slamwich)
פרצופונים (dweebies)
חתחתול (rat a tat cat)
שחמט Chess
דמקה Checkers
ששבש backgammon
ארבע בשורה Connect Four
סטרטגו stratego
צוללות battleship
דאבל (dobble)
ג'ונגל ספיד jungle speed
דוקים (pick up sticks)
מפולת לבנים (like jenga)

Wow, thank you so much for taking the time to write that up for me! It's a huge help!

And thank you everyone for all of the advice! I now know there are tons and tons of games they're likely to love. I'll have to go browse the toy store and hopefully make some good picks!

Is anything here like a slightly more complicated/interesting Uno? (Is Taki?) Both kids really enjoy Uno, but get bored of it quickly. But not a racing game because those frustrate dd as she doesn't really move/think too fast, especially compared to ds. They do have Battleship and I think they do both enjoy it somewhat. I think I'll remind them about that one. Perpetual Commotion I played a few years back and really enjoyed it. I think I'll get it for our family even though dd might find it a bit overwhelming. Hopefully she'll grow into it Smile

amother
Lightgray

Post Wed, Oct 25 2023, 5:27 pm
My kids that age are currently obsessed with battleship

amother
Gray

Post Wed, Oct 25 2023, 5:55 pm
השועל החמקמק outfoxed is popular here. A drop babyish for the 9 yo but only a drop (my 9 yo loves it) and the younger kids can play too. My 4 yo loves it. It's all the players vs the fox not each other.

amother
Babypink

Post Wed, Oct 25 2023, 6:49 pm
My son likes mille bornes card game

amother
OP

Post Thu, Oct 26 2023, 2:18 am
amother Babypink wrote:
My son likes mille bornes card game

Ooo that I actually have somewhere from when I was a kid! I liked it so much that I took it when I got married! I'm going to go hunt for it and try to relearn and teach my kids. Thanks!
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children