Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Monopoly is WAY too long!
Previous  1  2  3  Next

seeker

Post Tue, Oct 24 2023, 1:15 pm
dena613 wrote:
Cover your assets no reading necessary
Ticket to ride only need to read names of cities (about 40, but they can become like memorized sight words)

There's a Jewish version of ticket to ride where it's all in Hebrew and the cities are famous places in Europe of yore. It's amazing.

bigsis144

Post Tue, Oct 24 2023, 1:18 pm
Monopoly = Monotony

honeymoon

Post Tue, Oct 24 2023, 1:58 pm
My kids love chess, slamwich, rummikub and checkers.

amother
Gardenia

Post Tue, Oct 24 2023, 2:39 pm
Buildzi is fun for the whole family.

My Israeli nieces and nephews love Sleeping Queens. They have it in Hebrew, so it must be available in Israel.

amother
Peachpuff

Post Tue, Oct 24 2023, 2:42 pm
amother OP wrote:
Since these are interesting names... anyone know if there's a Hebrew version of these and can you tell me the name?

There's a game called Parsho, like Racko but with the Parshiyos. It's in Hebrew and English and one of our favorite Shabbos games.
You don't need to know how to read for Stratego or Blokus.

dena613

Post Tue, Oct 24 2023, 11:33 pm
bigsis144 wrote:
Monopoly = Monotony

Liking wasn't enough!!!

amother
Clematis

Post Tue, Oct 24 2023, 11:39 pm
Mastermind

amother
Honeydew

Post Tue, Oct 24 2023, 11:55 pm
We love Buildzie and cover your assets

amother
Honeydew

Post Tue, Oct 24 2023, 11:56 pm
And another game called Even Steven Odd. It’s great!

seeker

Post Wed, Oct 25 2023, 12:43 am
BTW even if the kid does really want monopoly, it can sometimes go faster if you go strictly by the rules:
If you don't buy the property you land on, it goes to auction. It never just stays unowned.
You may not be nice. If someone doesn't have enough money, their only option is a bank mortgage. You can't forgive what another player owes you, extend credit, give tzedakah, or anything of the sort or the game will never end because it literally requires most of the players to go bankrupt.

You can also set a number of turns for the whole game to take and then just count who has the highest net worth after, say, 20 turns.

amother
Goldenrod

Post Wed, Oct 25 2023, 12:51 am
Qwirkle. Easy to play but fun.

a2z

Post Wed, Oct 25 2023, 1:42 am
amother OP wrote:
Life I remember from when I was a kid, but not enough. Does anyone know if there's a Hebrew version an if it would be appropriate for chareidi kids? (All I remember is the families and jobs- would chareidi kids relate to it?)

I really like those shortened versions. I'll see how the kids take them. Thanks!

We got Israeli monopoly deal

amother
OP

Post Wed, Oct 25 2023, 3:23 am
seeker wrote:
BTW even if the kid does really want monopoly, it can sometimes go faster if you go strictly by the rules:
If you don't buy the property you land on, it goes to auction. It never just stays unowned.
You may not be nice. If someone doesn't have enough money, their only option is a bank mortgage. You can't forgive what another player owes you, extend credit, give tzedakah, or anything of the sort or the game will never end because it literally requires most of the players to go bankrupt.

You can also set a number of turns for the whole game to take and then just count who has the highest net worth after, say, 20 turns.

Yeah, my son wanted to not make me pay him everything the other day, as tzedakkah. I was like "No!!! I want this game to end!!!" It was like 3 hours and I have things to do! And it was only that fast because ds got all the monopolies and I didn't stand a chance after the first 5 minutes!

Thanks all, I will look into these suggestions.

Brit in Israel

Post Wed, Oct 25 2023, 5:41 am
Banana split, they have it in ivrit.
Rubix cube 2D

mummy85

Post Wed, Oct 25 2023, 6:15 am
We love the following games. All bought in Israel with Hebrew Instructions/cards
Ticket to ride- the US cities. We have the regular version- not Jr and my kids learned it after a few games where we played open cards
קרב על המקדש- Jewish version of stratego and half the price
Mancala
חלומות- card game
אלוף החמין- card game also

Can't think of more right now All these can be played on Shabbos.

amother
Aconite

Post Wed, Oct 25 2023, 11:23 am
Battleship was not yet mentioned. No reading required.
Apples to apples if there is a Hebrew version
Perpetual commotion - only numbers.

amother
Clear

Post Wed, Oct 25 2023, 11:26 am
amother OP wrote:
Ds9 came home from cheder a while back raving about how fun Monopoly is. So I bought it for him a couple of weeks ago. And he's pretty obsessed. Only problem is he's the oldest and dd8, dh, and myself really don't have the time and/or patience for it. So I'm looking for other game suggestions, preferably not as long and that ds9 and dd8 are both likely to enjoy. Board games and card games would both be great. We have Uno, Set, Guess Who, but everything else is really more babyish games- versions of Candyland and Snakes and Ladders. So what would you suggest for these ages?

The Monopoly version I bought has credit cards and an electronic machine to use with them, which he really likes. But Shabbos game suggestions would also be great. Thanks for any ideas. They grow up so fast!

If you play monopoly by the rules, IT ISN’T LONG!!
Monopoly is only long if you don’t follow the rules and people just endlessly roll and move around the board.
Instead, you auction off properties, make side deals (as allowed by the rules), build, build, build, and bankrupt everyone. It does not take so long.

seeker

Post Wed, Oct 25 2023, 12:45 pm
It still *could* take a long time but you can always make bad trades to help it along.

I find battleship even more boring than monopoly, though more finite.

#BestBubby

Post Wed, Oct 25 2023, 1:58 pm
Here is how to shorten traditional monopoly

Shuffle the property cards and give them out BEFORE starting the game.

Set a timer for 20- 30 minutes and when the timer rings the game is over.

Whoever has the most money wins.

seeker

Post Wed, Oct 25 2023, 2:29 pm
I feel like giving out the cards like that makes it even more boring. You don't even get the suspense of seeing what you'll land on. Or the aggravation of landing on "just visiting" all the time.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children