Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Physical Therapy?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Nov 07 2023, 2:10 pm
I am trying to figure the best way to help my DD. She is 2.5, no developmental delays as a baby. She had a harder time climbing but was able to do it, running is a little slower. She has some tip toe walking which comes and goes, W sitting and she slouches when she sits. I have been noticing that she doesn’t like to sit on floor, she is always looking for a little chair or step stool to sit on.

All of this is not glaringly obvious but as her mother I am noticing it and I feel it is effecting her ability to sit and play (which she doesn’t do very much). Because it’s not so obvious I feel that she won’t be eligible for services through EI. I am in Lakewood.

I feel she would really benefit from help but not sure how to go about it.

amother
Rose

Post Tue, Nov 07 2023, 2:46 pm
You can still try for an eval through EI but given that she is 2.5 and they will terminate services at 3 it won't cover very long. Sometimes there is also a backlog in getting PT services
It's great that you noticed. As a PT I would recommend addressing it now. Postural control doesn't only affect play but when sitting is harder it means sitting at circle time will be more difficult, translating into increased difficulty when more sitting is expected in school. Also, when sitting takes so much focus and energy it's harder to pay attention to the material actually being taught.
It will also make subsequent skills like jumping, standing on one foot, alternating feet on stairs, riding a tricycle a little bit harder
Would you consider going for an outpatient PT eval? Testing should show her weaknesses and give eligibility through insurance

amother
OP

Post Tue, Nov 07 2023, 2:53 pm
amother Rose wrote:
You can still try for an eval through EI but given that she is 2.5 and they will terminate services at 3 it won't cover very long. Sometimes there is also a backlog in getting PT services
It's great that you noticed. As a PT I would recommend addressing it now. Postural control doesn't only affect play but when sitting is harder it means sitting at circle time will be more difficult, translating into increased difficulty when more sitting is expected in school. Also, when sitting takes so much focus and energy it's harder to pay attention to the material actually being taught.
It will also make subsequent skills like jumping, standing on one foot, alternating feet on stairs, riding a tricycle a little bit harder
Would you consider going for an outpatient PT eval? Testing should show her weaknesses and give eligibility through insurance

Firstly, thank you so much for your response!

I would definitely consider going for an outpatient evaluation- who would you recommend? What should I look out for or ask in regards to experience etc.?

amother
Rose

Post Tue, Nov 07 2023, 3:30 pm
amother OP wrote:
Firstly, thank you so much for your response!

I would definitely consider going for an outpatient evaluation- who would you recommend? What should I look out for or ask in regards to experience etc.?

Are you looking to pay privately or go through insurance? Jerseycare or private insurance?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Nov 07 2023, 3:33 pm
amother Rose wrote:
Are you looking to pay privately or go through insurance? Jerseycare or private insurance?

Private insurance

amother
OP

Post Tue, Nov 07 2023, 3:34 pm
amother OP wrote:
Private insurance

I would consider private pay if necessary

amother
Rose

Post Tue, Nov 07 2023, 5:06 pm
I've heard that people are happy with Rochel feinstien and rena lederer. Idk what insurance they take.
Also, depending on your benefits/coverage etc it may pay to consider if ot may also be able to address your concerns as there is a lot of overlap.

amother
Lime

Post Tue, Nov 07 2023, 6:34 pm
amother Rose wrote:
I've heard that people are happy with Rochel feinstien and rena lederer. Idk what insurance they take.
Also, depending on your benefits/coverage etc it may pay to consider if ot may also be able to address your concerns as there is a lot of overlap.

But what op is mentioning would be better addressed by a PT.

amother
Rose

Post Tue, Nov 07 2023, 6:47 pm
amother Lime wrote:

Yes, but insurances can be funny sometimes so I figured I'd put the thought out there to consider if needed

amother
Orange

Post Tue, Nov 07 2023, 7:14 pm
amother Lime wrote:

In general, yes, but some OTs have enough training and experience to fully address this as well.

amother
Clover

Post Tue, Nov 07 2023, 8:13 pm
OT works on core strength

m2

Post Tue, Nov 07 2023, 10:06 pm
My four year old daughter is getting PT to help with core strength and she displayed some of the things as your daughter, such as slouched back. I assume it can be addressed by OT or PT.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Nov 07 2023, 11:20 pm
amother Rose wrote:

Thank you everyone for your input.

When is it worth it to go to a private pay therapist? I don’t want to go through a whole process of finding a therapist, working with DD for 6 months and not seeing any results. Is a private pay therapist for sure better than one who takes insurance?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Nov 07 2023, 11:22 pm
m2 wrote:
My four year old daughter is getting PT to help with core strength and she displayed some of the things as your daughter, such as slouched back. I assume it can be addressed by OT or PT.

If you don’t mind answering- how long is she in therapy for? If you are in Lakewood can you share who you are using?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics