Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Organizing
Two story foyer

amother
OP

Post Sun, Dec 24 2023, 11:27 am
Hi I am building a house and debating if a two story foyer is a good idea. I like the big open spacious feel. However, I am nervous about the lack of privacy. Also, I have active little boys and the big drop after the banister scares me.
Would love if anyone can share their experience with their open foyer?

amother
Orchid

Post Sun, Dec 24 2023, 12:39 pm
We bought a newly built house recently and was actually disappointed it didn’t have a two story foyer entrance, always liked the idea of an airy grand entrance..

But lots of ppl told me then that I will come to appreciate the privacy and these days many custom homes are going with a regular foyer and hidden staircases. I’ve come to like it this way and don’t have to worry about upstairs being a mess and passing by not dressed properly when door is open etc..

We actually still have an open staircase which adds airiness, it’s just in middle of the house, not at the entrance..

amother
Crocus

Post Sun, Dec 24 2023, 12:47 pm
I love my two story foyer! Makes my house so light, open, and airy
I also have a lot of active crazy boys and it’s not something that has ever come up as an issue

amother
Turquoise

Post Sun, Dec 24 2023, 3:06 pm
Bedtime can be hard as noise travels up easier

amother
Denim

Post Sun, Dec 24 2023, 3:10 pm
Aside from the lack of privacy keep in mind that 2 story foyers are LOUD.

amother
Ultramarine

Post Sun, Dec 24 2023, 3:14 pm
I love it. You can build in a way that sound doesn’t travel as much. Mine came with the house and I don’t retreat it.

amother
Feverfew

Post Sun, Dec 24 2023, 6:42 pm
Hi there! I work in residential architecture. Another option could be a 2 story foyer without a balcony. You get the grand and airy feel while keeping your privacy.
You can also do a 1.5 story foyer with a low reading nook/storage/mechanical room on top.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Dec 25 2023, 11:08 am
amother Feverfew wrote:
Hi there! I work in residential architecture. Another option could be a 2 story foyer without a balcony. You get the grand and airy feel while keeping your privacy.
You can also do a 1.5 story foyer with a low reading nook/storage/mechanical room on top.

Hi can you explain what you mean by without a balcony?

The reading nook idea sounds really interesting I just can’t picture it practically. Would you have another few steps going up into that area?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Dec 25 2023, 11:10 am
Also could someone explain what makes it so loud? Is it just because there are no walls to break the noise or does it echo?

listenhere

Post Mon, Dec 25 2023, 11:15 am
I love the airy look. You need to plan the house so the door to the bedrooms aren’t easily visible from the entrance, but usually the mess is inside the bedrooms, not the hallway.

You can also make the area right when you enter single story, and a separate main foyer right after that as two story.

listenhere

Post Mon, Dec 25 2023, 11:16 am
amother OP wrote:
Also could someone explain what makes it so loud? Is it just because there are no walls to break the noise or does it echo?

Because there are no walls / ceiling to break the noise. An echo isn’t caused by this.

amother
Tanzanite

Post Mon, Dec 25 2023, 11:34 am
listenhere wrote:
I love the airy look. You need to plan the house so the door to the bedrooms aren’t easily visible from the entrance, but usually the mess is inside the bedrooms, not the hallway.

You can also make the area right when you enter single story, and a separate main foyer right after that as two story.

It’s not only that. Unless there’s a bathroom in every room that means everyone needs to be dressed appropriately for ppl down below to see them when they need to go to the bathroom.
It’s really a lack of privacy.

amother
Eggplant

Post Mon, Dec 25 2023, 11:43 am
amother Tanzanite wrote:
It’s not only that. Unless there’s a bathroom in every room that means everyone needs to be dressed appropriately for ppl down below to see them when they need to go to the bathroom.
It’s really a lack of privacy.

We designed our home so that the staircase is to the far left of the house. This makes it so that the balcony is BEFORE all the rooms and bathrooms. There is literally no reason to pass the balcony unless you want to go down the stairs.

amother
Feverfew

Post Mon, Dec 25 2023, 12:11 pm
amother OP wrote:
Hi can you explain what you mean by without a balcony?

The reading nook idea sounds really interesting I just can’t picture it practically. Would you have another few steps going up into that area?

There would be walls going up to the base of the roof. You can good double story foyer without balcony and I’m sure you’ll get images.
Yes, there would be a step or two to get into the reading nook. For example, if your first floor is 9’ and your foyer is 12’, and your second floor is 9’, you would have a 3’ difference between your second floor and the reading nook. The ceiling in the nook would be 6’. They can also bring the roof slightly higher over the entrance to get a higher ceiling in the nook and draw attention to the entrance.

Talk to your architect- they likely will have their own opinion Smile
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics