Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health -> Allergies
Family members of highly allergic kids please help
Previous  1  2  3

amother
Obsidian

Post Sun, Dec 31 2023, 11:08 pm
One of my children did desensitization to one of his allergens.
Another one of my kids dormed for a couple of years despite his multiple allergies.
We make things work.

amother
Vermilion

Post Mon, Jan 01 2024, 10:25 am
amother OP wrote:
Has anyone here done allergy desensitization and could share their experience?

We have done allergy desensitization with my child with mutliple food allergies. We needed to treat multiple allergens, so we went with a clinic in California that specializes in multiple food allergies even though we live on the east coast, but for one severe allergen, you could probably find an allergy clinic that does OIT - oral immunization therapy.

It's a long process, but my son is safely eating multiple nuts and peanuts now.

amother
Bergamot

Post Mon, Jan 01 2024, 11:24 am
At my vort, wedding, and Shabbos sheva brachos, we requested no nuts multiple times due to a highly allergic SIL. Despite that, both my vort and sheva brachos had things with nuts served. Sheva brachos they apologized and then later brought out more things with obvious nuts!! It was insane.

It made me glad that I don't have to deal with this every day because it seems no matter how hard you try, mistakes happen.

amother
Red

Post Mon, Jan 01 2024, 12:01 pm
With three children that have multiple severe allergies including airborne allergies , this pains me so much.
My son that is highly allergic went to a few bar mitzvah s . He only ate challah ( not allergic to sesame ) because was aftarid anything in the kitchen was. It remained ( sometimes ate kugel too) when he we t to shabbos bar mitzvah s he didn’t sit at a table or eat anything and stayed far far away from the food. Breaks my heart because he had a hard time socially and this didn’t help.
He’s now in high school. He goes to camp. He takes along a lot of his own food . It’s always a struggle and I daven constantly for him. I wish wish he could out grow it. ) I’m very worried for when he will go learn in Israel with a severe nut allergy… Not much advice I’m afraid but just lots of understanding

amother
Red

Post Mon, Jan 01 2024, 12:02 pm
amother Red wrote:
With three children that have multiple severe allergies including airborne allergies , this pains me so much.
My son that is highly allergic went to a few bar mitzvah s . He only ate challah ( not allergic to sesame ) because was afraid anything in the kitchen was contaminated ( sometimes ate kugel too) when he went to shabbos bar mitzvah s he didn’t sit at a table or eat anything and stayed far far away from the food. Breaks my heart because he had a hard time socially and this didn’t help.
He’s now in high school. He goes to camp. He takes along a lot of his own food . It’s always a struggle and I daven constantly for him. I wish wish he could out grow it. ) I’m very worried for when he will go learn in Israel with a severe nut allergy… Not much advice I’m afraid but just lots of understanding

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jan 01 2024, 4:50 pm
amother Vermilion wrote:
We have done allergy desensitization with my child with mutliple food allergies. We needed to treat multiple allergens, so we went with a clinic in California that specializes in multiple food allergies even though we live on the east coast, but for one severe allergen, you could probably find an allergy clinic that does OIT - oral immunization therapy.

It's a long process, but my son is safely eating multiple nuts and peanuts now.

Wow! I’m in California Can you please share the allergist?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jan 01 2024, 4:51 pm
amother Red wrote:
My son that is highly allergic went to a few bar mitzvah s . He only ate challah ( not allergic to sesame ) because was aftarid anything in the kitchen was. It remained ( sometimes ate kugel too) when he we t to shabbos bar mitzvah s he didn’t sit at a table or eat anything and stayed far far away from the food. Breaks my heart because he had a hard time socially and this didn’t help.

Thank you for your empathy. I feel for you.

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Tue, Jan 02 2024, 6:45 pm
amother Sand wrote:
Okay. But even if it's not technically airborne doesn't do us any good when we were already super careful not to let him eat anything that could possibly have touched sesame (read: practically everything.) At the end of the day it wasn't safe for him to be in the hall.

But if I stop taking him to Simchos It will create a tremendous rift in the family. So I play with his life again and again and pray the medications keep working.

Who are these selfish people who expect loved ones to prioritize their simchas over their own children’s safety?

amother
Sand

Post Tue, Jan 02 2024, 6:49 pm
amother Saddlebrown wrote:
Who are these selfish people who expect loved ones to prioritize their simchas over their own children’s safety?

They're not selfish, they're ignorant. They honestly believe that allergies are no big deal and that nothing will happen.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics