Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Toddlers!!!!! Argh!!

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 03 2024, 3:48 pm
I'm losing my sanity.

I have one very rambunctious toddler. She's adorable but such a handful.

Whatever I ask her to do, she does the opposite. I ask her nicely to keep the water in the bath instead of pouring it on the floor... she pours it on the floor. I ask her not to jump on the couch, she jumps on the couch. There are so many examples.

I obviously don't expect her to listen - she's TWO! But, I'm really going nuts here. I just want to clibm into my bed and hide from her.

Help!!

smss

Post Wed, Jan 03 2024, 4:11 pm
Oyy so frustrating!!

At that age redirection can be helpful. So for example "let's pour the water in this bowl!" Or "let's jump on the trampoline!" Or even distracting her with something unrelated but exciting. The word "don't" usually doesn't help much, the idea is still being kept front and center in their minds. Better to focus them on something different TO do.

amother
Violet

Post Wed, Jan 03 2024, 4:13 pm
I’m going nuts from my similarly acting 2 year old, but I’m going crazier from my adhd 7 year old and my 9 year old who’s being treated for pandas currently 🙈
Can I scream please??

amother
Cherry

Post Wed, Jan 03 2024, 4:18 pm
Toddlers are impossible. I have twin toddlers and am on the brink of insanity. I’m with you, sister!

Bleemee

Post Wed, Jan 03 2024, 4:20 pm
amother Violet wrote:
I’m going nuts from my similarly acting 2 year old, but I’m going crazier from my adhd 7 year old and my 9 year old who’s being treated for pandas currently 🙈
Can I scream please??

Let’s hear it!!

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 03 2024, 4:43 pm
smss wrote:
Oyy so frustrating!!

At that age redirection can be helpful. So for example "let's pour the water in this bowl!" Or "let's jump on the trampoline!" Or even distracting her with something unrelated but exciting. The word "don't" usually doesn't help much, the idea is still being kept front and center in their minds. Better to focus them on something different TO do.

This is very smart. You are right, sometimes this works. I should try to be better at coming up with ideas. I find that no matter what, there's always some negative "side effect" to every activity lol. I'm really a go with the flow mom generally and don't care too much about mess. Sometimes though, I just can't keep her entertained in an easy way for me.

For example, today she got busy with something she wasn't supposed to have. So I set her up with some crayons and paper at her table. She colored nicely for about 2 minutes before she started throwing things everywhere and shredding the paper for fun Banging head

It's like no matter what, she finds a way to take a normal activity and make it destructive.

This stage is not for me!!!!

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 03 2024, 4:44 pm
amother Cherry wrote:
Toddlers are impossible. I have twin toddlers and am on the brink of insanity. I’m with you, sister!

OMG!! Twins must be crazy. You must be one strong mama.

amother
Thistle

Post Wed, Jan 03 2024, 4:53 pm
Going through the same with my 2.5 YO. It’s beyond. Tonight was especially hard so the misery loves company is extra appreciated Smile

amother
Bisque

Post Wed, Jan 03 2024, 4:53 pm
Omg! I had to Google if stubbornness in toddlers is normal just for validation! Yes I knew it is but my 2 yr old is taking me for a ride! I'm so with u! Sometimes she uses up all my mental, emotional and physical energy before it's even close to bedtime!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics