Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health -> Toilet Training
Pull ups

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jan 04 2024, 6:07 am
My child's school requires him to wear pull ups until fully trained, problem is he uses them like diapers. He knows when he needs to go, but most often won't bother going. I am finding it very hard to keep on top of him, he is strong willed, and does not respond well to being told to use the toilet. I do not want this to turn into a power struggle - helps no one. I also have a hard time remembering to remind him to go after school when the house is flying.
I'm thinking the best way is to go cold turkey, so he gets used to the fact that he needs to use the toilet, but that brings me back to school...

Ok, I guess that was a vent, but I'm also looking for advice.

How are on pull ups meant to be used to aid toilet training, without hindering progress? ( I've only ever done the three day bare bottom method)
How do you get a 3 yr old to the potty when he needs to go without creating power struggles? (The goal is for him to take himself when he needs to go. I cannot take responsibility for his toileting for both of our sakes)

amother
Mintcream

Post Thu, Jan 04 2024, 6:09 am
My kids never did well with pull ups. Can you put underwear on under the pull up? Then it feels yucky when it gets wet or dirty, not like an absorbent diaper.

amother
SandyBrown

Post Thu, Jan 04 2024, 6:51 am
I kept my kids home from daycare till they were fully trained. Usually a full week, or trained the week they're anyways off. (I know that this isn't an option for many.)
We use pull up for travel or when we're out of the house for long, bh my kids did well. I tell them that it's a special car panty.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jan 04 2024, 7:11 am
amother Mintcream wrote:
My kids never did well with pull ups. Can you put underwear on under the pull up? Then it feels yucky when it gets wet or dirty, not like an absorbent diaper.

It's an idea... Sounds gross to deal with though...

Really I'm curious what the idea of pulls ups is. How are they meant to be used?
Is it a personality thing - some kids are super motivated and will use the easier access and start using the potty, while others will just use it like a diaper because it's convenient?
Or is there a trick or method to using them to teach how to use the toilet?

amother
Wheat

Post Thu, Jan 04 2024, 7:16 am
amother OP wrote:

Really I'm curious what the idea of pulls ups is. How are they meant to be used?
Is it a personality thing - some kids are super motivated and will use the easier access and start using the potty, while others will just use it like a diaper because it's convenient?
Or is there a trick or method to using them to teach how to use the toilet?

No Trick method
I introduced dd to pullups by telling her that this is panties.

amother
Blueberry

Post Thu, Jan 04 2024, 8:01 am
At home no pull-ups. You have to train him at home.

amother
Mintcream

Post Thu, Jan 04 2024, 8:37 am
amother OP wrote:

I’ve never done it but I’ve seen it recommended. It can’t be any grosser than cleaning up an accident in underwear, and at least the clothes stay dry…

AllThings

Post Thu, Jan 04 2024, 8:40 am
We trained over a vacation weekend so we had Fri, Shabbos, and Sunday (maybe Monday too?) and then we called the pullups "Morah underwear" or "shluffy underwear." That worked for us bH though there's no way of knowing if it would have been okay for this kid anyhow.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Children's Health -> Toilet Training