Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries
SAHM's - Is there a need for this?
Previous  1  2

amother
Ebony

Post Sun, Jan 07 2024, 10:33 pm
amother Acacia wrote:
I love the idea and would definitely bring my toddler but realistically I don't know how much I'd interact with other parents. This is lakewood, not crown heights...

What in the world? Why would you not interact with other Lakewood people? As someone who lives here I don’t understand.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Sun, Jan 07 2024, 10:43 pm
[quote="amother Acacia" I don't know how much I'd interact with other parents. This is lakewood, not crown heights...[/quote]
And? Humans are human everywhere

amother
Violet

Post Sun, Jan 07 2024, 10:48 pm
Yes!!! Like a library but without the quiet and more toys for the kids. All these winter afternoons have us so cooped up and I would definitely bring my kids to an indoor play area!

amother
Hotpink

Post Sun, Jan 07 2024, 11:06 pm
amother OP wrote:
Yes. There would probably be a charge

So it would be a luxury. I mean, people can meet at each others homes or public spaces (parks, playgrounds). To keep up a large space would cost the owner so they would have to charge. Cleaning costs, upkeep of toys etc. Probably sell food and drink, which would put more pressure on the parents.

amother
DarkMagenta

Post Sun, Jan 07 2024, 11:28 pm
amother Hotpink wrote:
So it would be a luxury. I mean, people can meet at each others homes or public spaces (parks, playgrounds). To keep up a large space would cost the owner so they would have to charge. Cleaning costs, upkeep of toys etc. Probably sell food and drink, which would put more pressure on the parents.

Of course it's a luxury. SAHM is also a luxury in today's days.
There is no where to go in the winter or in the rain.
I do make playdates for my toddler. But he's my only child- born after many years. There's just so many ppl interested in having me over when they have other kids and other responsibilities. Also my schedule is so different than others. A neutral place to play, that my baby can see other kids is my dream. I really hope something substantial comes out of this discussion.

B'Syata D'Shmya

Post Mon, Jan 08 2024, 2:26 am
amother DarkMagenta wrote:
Of course it's a luxury. SAHM is also a luxury in today's days.
There is no where to go in the winter or in the rain.
I do make playdates for my toddler. But he's my only child- born after many years. There's just so many ppl interested in having me over when they have other kids and other responsibilities. Also my schedule is so different than others. A neutral place to play, that my baby can see other kids is my dream. I really hope something substantial comes out of this discussion.

I disagree on the SAHM being a luxury but will agree to disagree with you on that point.
And yes for you it's a solution to your problem.
Why don't you do something here?
I know someone who asked her shule and got permission to meet in their multipurpose room btwn 2 an 4pm. Each parent brought some toys to share, noshies and they hung out. Mothers said some tehillim so the gathering was le'toeles.

Rappel

Post Mon, Jan 08 2024, 3:33 am
In the yishuvim, we call that a משחקיה.

It has toys for kids from age baby - 10, and comfortable places for the moms to sit in each area.

The woman who runs it has very clear rules how to maintain it , and she's careful to keep things nice.

It's open for two hours at a time, and in the last 15 minutes the kids and moms put away everything in its place.

You can pay an entrance fee per kid. Or get a monthly family subscription.

The subscription is low enough that if you come more than two times a month, then it's worth it.

amother
Rainbow

Post Mon, Jan 08 2024, 4:28 am
This sounds like the indoor playspaces they used to have in/near lkwd. One was called junglerrifuc I think. With an indoor climbing thing snd tons of toys around. When I only had littles (going back more than 15 years) I used to go here and there after work. Even with lkwd being much much smaller then there were always several frum ladies. However only a handful of families total at any time.

I never went, bc by then had too wide a range of ages, but wasn't ice cream kids this concept?
I don t think they marketed themselves as a sahm gathering spot, but that might have been an idea.

All these places closed, or only stayed open a few years at a time. I think the not jewish owned ones made most of their money on group birthday parties which are not such a thing in lkwd. I say this as there is something about them that makes them hard to keep going.

I dont know if its that toys wear out and it becomes dingy, or it costs alot to keep cleanand hard to charge enough. Maybe its insurance and regulations?

I say this because if its a business idea it might be hard to earn enough to justify. Youd have to carefully business plan and figure out what tripped up the other places.

As simeone else mentioned, it might work better as a non profit, hopefully with some mothers willing to volunteer too. (though everyone wants "pampering" these days so who knows if youll attract"). Though it still will bave to charge. Toys are expensive.

amother
Rose

Post Mon, Jan 08 2024, 5:58 am
Ocean county mall has a small indoor climbing area that is free . My kids always have a good time there.

amother
Cappuccino

Post Mon, Jan 08 2024, 6:13 am
It doesn't necessarily need to cost anything.

One idea is a mother and toddler social where maybe a mother would give a little talk about her life and food and drinks could be offered and maybe even play a group game.

I have often thought about for those who enjoy jigsaws which are supposed to be quite relaxing to have a jigsaw club for mothers and kids.

amother
Seafoam

Post Mon, Jan 08 2024, 6:56 am
amother Rose wrote:
Ocean county mall has a small indoor climbing area that is free . My kids always have a good time there.
how would I get to that part of the mall?

imaima

Post Mon, Jan 08 2024, 7:01 am
happy7 wrote:
People would love it, but these places all charge at least $12-15 to come for an hour. No one can maintain such a place with proper equipment and clean, sanitized, up to date toys without charging.

I have seen these combined with a cafe. Moms socialize snd kids play

amother
Firethorn

Post Mon, Jan 08 2024, 7:12 am
I would love this!

yellowroses

Post Mon, Jan 08 2024, 7:16 am
happy7 wrote:
People would love it, but these places all charge at least $12-15 to come for an hour. No one can maintain such a place with proper equipment and clean, sanitized, up to date toys without charging.

A membership fee would perhaps make more sense. You could sell coffee and some cakes!

amother
Chartreuse

Post Mon, Jan 08 2024, 7:47 am
This doesn't just target SAHMs- it's mom's who work only mornings or only afternoons too, or moms who work a few days a week and not others. And moms who need this for Sundays when their dh's are out most of the day.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Mon, Jan 08 2024, 8:06 am
amother Cappuccino wrote:
It doesn't necessarily need to cost anything.

How exactly would it not cost money?

Quote:
One idea is a mother and toddler social where maybe a mother would give a little talk about her life and food and drinks could be offered and maybe even play a group game.

I have often thought about for those who enjoy jigsaws which are supposed to be quite relaxing to have a jigsaw club for mothers and kids.

Sounds like a cute club but I don't think this will work with small children, which is what OP is gearing it for I believe.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Mon, Jan 08 2024, 8:11 am
amother Aquamarine wrote:
How exactly would it not cost money?

Agreed. Aside from upkeep, there is insurance. I would have a monthly pass but also by the hour or a day pass for those who want it only occasionally, for school days off, etc. I would also have gift cards/subscriptions that could be used in chinese auctions and for mothers from outside Lakewood to gift their daughters and DILs.

amother
Rose

Post Mon, Jan 08 2024, 9:19 am
amother Seafoam wrote:
how would I get to that part of the mall?

It’s outside JCPenney and old navy

amother
Aquamarine

Post Mon, Jan 08 2024, 10:07 am
amother Chartreuse wrote:
Agreed. Aside from upkeep, there is insurance. I would have a monthly pass but also by the hour or a day pass for those who want it only occasionally, for school days off, etc. I would also have gift cards/subscriptions that could be used in chinese auctions and for mothers from outside Lakewood to gift their daughters and DILs.

Gift cards is an excellent idea!!
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries