Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Lunch issue

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jan 11 2024, 2:30 pm
My 12 year old son is not really a picky eater per se, he likes a wide range of foods. He's picky about how the food is prepared. Basically it has to be fresh, and he can't handle certain mushy textures. I have him on hot lunch because he hates packed lunches, and most of the time it's fine, he likes most of the school lunches. But about once a week or so, he doesn't like the lunch (and at this point he knows what he doesn't like, so we look at the menu and know in advance when a bad lunch is coming). He has tried in the past to make it work with other things. The school always has plain noodles available, which is the go to for any kid who doesn't like what's on offer, but he said the school noodles are somehow bad. I've also tried encouraging him to try the salad bar if he doesn't like lunch, but that's hit or miss. Sometimes the items work and he can make a meal of it, sometimes they don't. It seems we have to send him with a packed lunch on "bad lunch" days, but he hates packed lunch! Will not eat sandwiches, leftovers, nothing. These are all things he eats just fine if they're freshly made, but won't eat them if they've been packed for a few hours. He gets so hungry though. Any ideas I'm missing?

amother
NeonPink

Post Thu, Jan 11 2024, 2:33 pm
In my book a 12 year old is way old enough to problem solve this with you. If he’s refusing to give you ideas then the doesn’t mind being hungry as much as I do

BrooklynBee

Post Thu, Jan 11 2024, 2:33 pm
would he take bread, a plastic knife, and you can send a portion container with whatever spread he likes? Many spreads come in mini containers (butter, cream cheese, pb, and jelly for sure)

AllThings

Post Thu, Jan 11 2024, 2:35 pm
Can you send hot food (noodles, vegi soup, anything really) in a thermos?

YounginBP

Post Thu, Jan 11 2024, 2:45 pm
Yogurt and banana
I find it really filling to take those large greek yogurts, portion myself a large amount (more than a 6oz serving) and add a sliced banana or an apple with granola.

You can also make healthier muffins for a quick snack. Blueberry, oatmeal and choco chip.

Cheese sticks (or slices) with crackers

Pita and chummus/eggs/tuna, separate containers so it's not mushy or a sandwich

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jan 11 2024, 2:55 pm
He doesn't eat tuna (it's the one and only type of fish he doesn't eat), hates chummus. School is nut free, so no pb allowed. Doesn't like cheese unless it's on pizza or ziti or something. Hates yogurt. He loves fruit, but won't take it to school because he claims it's unappetizing by the time he would be eating it. We tried the thermos thing, he says it didn't keep. I'd let him live with the consequence of being annoying and go hungry, but he is very difficult to deal with when he's hungry and I'm getting pressure from the school to figure something out because it affects his behavior. They want me to just send takeout on those days, but just...no. That's ridiculous.

AllThings

Post Thu, Jan 11 2024, 3:03 pm
Can he get hot water in school and you can send instant oatmeal, instant mashed potatos, Tradition soup etc (not necessarily the healthiest but at least it's something to keep him going)?

amother
Periwinkle

Post Thu, Jan 11 2024, 3:08 pm
I'd send snacks. Pretzels or crackers or popcorn or cookies. Better than not eating all day.

amother
Yolk

Post Thu, Jan 11 2024, 3:29 pm
My kids are the same way about texture, freshness, etc. At that age they are responsible for packing their own lunches though. They let me know what they want me to buy when I'm making a shopping list, I make sure it's in the house, and they prep the night before.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jan 11 2024, 3:32 pm
I guess I can ask about the hot water. We do the extra snacks thing on Friday when there's no hot lunch and school ends early and he can eat a real lunch at home. We can try it on a longer day, but probably tougher to pull off. Thanks.

amother
Butterscotch

Post Thu, Jan 11 2024, 3:32 pm
I invested in a plug in lunchbox. My child takes left overs from the previous nights supper everyone wins (available from Amazon)

Ema of 5

Post Thu, Jan 11 2024, 3:33 pm
I agree with the other poster who said he is old enough to help you problem solve. Let him come up with a few things that you can try, and see if anything works. If not, send him with extra snacks.

Ema of 5

Post Thu, Jan 11 2024, 3:33 pm
amother OP wrote:
I guess I can ask about the hot water. We do the extra snacks thing on Friday when there's no hot lunch and school ends early and he can eat a real lunch at home. We can try it on a longer day, but probably tougher to pull off. Thanks.

Why? He can eat some snacks when everyone else is eating lunch.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children