Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Multiple interviews

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 31 2024, 10:06 am
I recently sent out my resume through a recruiter and so far have two interviews scheduled a couple of days apart.

One of the openings is with a company I really want to work with, and that interview is first. The other one is less ideal but still one I'm considering.

My question is, if the first place makes me an offer, should I cancel the second interview or is it ok to tell them I need some time (until I hear back from the second place)?

Also, is it appropriate to tell them (either one) that I'm interviewing at another place at the same time?

Elfrida

Post Wed, Jan 31 2024, 10:23 am
amother OP wrote:
Also, is it appropriate to tell them (either one) that I'm interviewing at another place at the same time?

No need to volunteer the information, but if they ask, there's no reason not to tell them. You are going to an interview because you are looking for a job. Until you are employed, you have no commitment or loyalty to one place over another.

funkyfrummom

Post Wed, Jan 31 2024, 10:26 am
You don't need to cancel interview #2 if you have an offer after interview #1.... but if you ACCEPT an offer from interview #1, you should cancel the one for scheduled for interview #2-- because the understanding is that you are someone available. You would be wasting their time if you have already accepted a job offer. If you want to meet with them for professional networking reasons only, you would need to clearly communicate that.

You do not need to tell either place about the other. I would think they assume that if you are job seeking you are speaking to various people simultaneously because that is part and parcel of a job search. (It's not like shidduchim where you deal with the one person in front of you until it is either a yes or a no.)

There are certain strategies in regard to salary negotiations where you say you have another offer... but I don't think that was the intent of your question.

I don't know what industry you are in... in my industry you go for multiple interviews and then there is some vetting/reference checking, and only after that would there be a solid offer (and then there is negotiations around the offer).

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 31 2024, 10:28 am
funkyfrummom wrote:
You don't need to cancel interview #2 if you have an offer after interview #1.... but if you ACCEPT an offer from interview #1, you should cancel the one for scheduled for interview #2-- because the understanding is that you are someone available. You would be wasting their time if you have already accepted a job offer. If you want to meet with them for professional networking reasons only, you would need to clearly communicate that.

Right, I understand that. But if they make me an offer during or shortly after the first interview, can I tell them I need some time to think about it (I.e. until after the second one)?

funkyfrummom

Post Wed, Jan 31 2024, 10:53 am
amother OP wrote:
Right, I understand that. But if they make me an offer during or shortly after the first interview, can I tell them I need some time to think about it (I.e. until after the second one)?

Yes, you are never obligated to answer on the spot (and if they want an immediate answer that would be suspect).

I usually say something like... (assume this is receiving a firm offer on a Monday)... "That's wonderful-- I truly appreciate the offer. I want to ensure I can review the offer fully before making a decision. Please allow me 48 hours to review and I will be in touch with you Wednesday."

funkyfrummom

Post Wed, Jan 31 2024, 10:55 am
PS - I think 48 hours is pretty standard, and that would be business days, not including weekends.... but if that is not enough time to get the second interview in, and you strongly feel that the 2nd one is going to be of more interest... you would wait 48 hours and somehow counter their offer-- which would buy you more time. But you need to be careful and ethical in how you do that.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 31 2024, 11:10 am
funkyfrummom wrote:
PS - I think 48 hours is pretty standard, and that would be business days, not including weekends.... but if that is not enough time to get the second interview in, and you strongly feel that the 2nd one is going to be of more interest... you would wait 48 hours and somehow counter their offer-- which would buy you more time. But you need to be careful and ethical in how you do that.

Thank you! Any advice on the bolded?

funkyfrummom

Post Wed, Jan 31 2024, 1:08 pm
amother OP wrote:
Thank you! Any advice on the bolded?

Well, again, it is a matter of personal ethics and there may be halachic considerations (AYLOR), but I know people (in secular workplace) who when negotiating salary will disclose that they have another offer and they ask the place with the lower offer if they can meet that... the ethics comes into place because sometimes that is just hot air and they don't have an offer. Sometimes they just make it up... or say that when they let the current employer know that they were leaving for better opportunity, then the current employer has offered a better salary to stay-- and then asking the people offering the job to match that. (Again, that may be true or it could be just something that people say to try to negotiate higher salary.)

It is not something I would be comfortable doing, but it is certainly something that some people do.

I think the "a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush" adage is applies. You could wind up with zero offers if you box yourself into a corner.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics