Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
Loooong voice notes
Previous  1  2  3

Perrys

Post Wed, Feb 07 2024, 4:16 pm
I’m on a WhatsApp group where one person regularly responds with 3-5 min Vn. It’s so annoying

amother
Moccasin

Post Wed, Feb 07 2024, 4:24 pm
I hate them so much, and so happy to say that other ppl hate them. I try to forgive my friends who probably send vn cause they can't spell well
I used whatsapp on my laptop and type pretty fast. I literally can't listen to your voice notes even if they're work related. I just can't. Why do you call or vn do say what time do you close today? Look it up or send a text. Or look back at your messages to 2 weeks ago when you asked the same question;-)

amother
Seagreen

Post Wed, Feb 07 2024, 4:30 pm
People are entitled to voicenote if they want and you are entitled to not use that form of communication.

I love voicenotes. Its how I communicate with close friends when busy. I also spend forever driving carpool and its how I respond quickly since I cant type.

amother
Brickred

Post Wed, Feb 07 2024, 5:24 pm
amother OP wrote:
That last part, What an odd thing to say say. It works for you and your close friends so it must work for everyone. There is literally one person I know who does this and is not a close friend.

Are you trying to get a rise out of other posters?

Your response to her stating her opinion is strange.

wabcs

Post Wed, Feb 07 2024, 5:59 pm
What is the difference between a voice note and a message on an answering machine?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Feb 07 2024, 6:12 pm
amother Brickred wrote:
Are you trying to get a rise out of other posters?

Your response to her stating her opinion is strange.

I responded to her saying “maybe wattsapp isn’t for you” I thought it was odd to write off an entire form of communication because one person sends too long voice notes.

ETA this was when I just finished listening to a 5 min voice note so I may have answered more irritable than normal

JasmineDragon

Post Wed, Feb 07 2024, 6:19 pm
I only send voice notes to friends and family that I know are fine with them. I live in a different time zone than my family, and sometimes I want to say something that's easier to say than to type, but when I'm available to talk and my sister is available to answer just don't line up, so we just each talk when we have time and listen when we have time. Or sometimes I'm talking to a friend who's getting ready in the morning, and rather than have tons of dead space in the phone call we'll send voice notes back and forth. Overall, I use voice notes more as an alternative to calling than as an alternative to texting.

I totally agree that long voice notes are an inefficient way to ask simple questions or give information that needs to be referenced later. It's not just having to listen through again at the time - I can search a conversation for a key word, like "address", rather than ask again, but I have no way of finding which old voice note has the information I'm looking for months later.

lamplighter

Post Wed, Feb 07 2024, 6:51 pm
I use voicenotes in place of phone calls not in place of texting. Texting if for a simple question. Voicenotes is for explaining something or sharing something. I love VNs because I can listen to them when I have a few minutes (earbuds is best) and my friends/family can listen when they have a time. No one talks on the phone anymore.

Mayflower

Post Thu, Feb 08 2024, 3:22 am
amother Seagreen wrote:
I love voicenotes. Its how I communicate with close friends when busy. I also spend forever driving carpool and its how I respond quickly since I cant type.

Same here! I send 10 min. voice notes to a few close friends and they send me 10 min. voice notes as well... It's our way of catching up (of course it would be nicer to call but we usually aren't available to chat at the same time).

I agree voice notes (of any length really) are annoying in group chats.

amother
White

Post Thu, Feb 08 2024, 6:15 am
amother OP wrote:
Yess, jumping out of skin feeling . Like literally can’t stand it

Me too & I don’t know why….

What is it about them that I feel are downright RUDE ?

amother
Marigold

Post Thu, Feb 08 2024, 6:30 am
JasmineDragon wrote:
I only send voice notes to friends and family that I know are fine with them. I live in a different time zone than my family, and sometimes I want to say something that's easier to say than to type, but when I'm available to talk and my sister is available to answer just don't line up, so we just each talk when we have time and listen when we have time. Or sometimes I'm talking to a friend who's getting ready in the morning, and rather than have tons of dead space in the phone call we'll send voice notes back and forth. Overall, I use voice notes more as an alternative to calling than as an alternative to texting.

I totally agree that long voice notes are an inefficient way to ask simple questions or give information that needs to be referenced later. It's not just having to listen through again at the time - I can search a conversation for a key word, like "address", rather than ask again, but I have no way of finding which old voice note has the information I'm looking for months later.

This is my situation too. I live overseas to two close friends, in majorly different timezones and we have a whatsapp chat. We often leave each other extremely long voicenotes, but we also have no expectations of anyone listening immediately or responding quickly. Sometimes one of us won't post for days while the other two continue. This is definitely a replacement phone convo and not a replacement to text. And we all know that for any emergencies, we need to text the person we want individually or call them. I love this group chat.

However, if anyone else I'm not that close to would leave me a long voicenote I'd be very annoyed. Or if someone who lives next to me would do that, I'd just be overwhelmed, even if I'm close to them. There's usually no need for a long vn if I regularly see you in person. I might also be worried they expect me to actually respond that day or the next, where I don't have that pressure in my overseas friend group.

I also try to be considerate about leaving long voice notes. It's not nice to make others listen to you for that long, especially if you're rambling on. Texting forces you to organise your thoughts, but maybe that's part of being considerate.

amother
Brickred

Post Thu, Feb 08 2024, 11:33 am
amother OP wrote:
I responded to her saying “maybe wattsapp isn’t for you” I thought it was odd to write off an entire form of communication because one person sends too long voice notes.

ETA this was when I just finished listening to a 5 min voice note so I may have answered more irritable than normal

Okay 😄

Now to chime in my preference cuz y’all r’ waiting for it- don’t deny!
I like it w/ my close friend cuz we both have zero patience for having a phone at the chin or a bud in the ear…and we discuss everything in these long van’s.

No one’s pressured to respond immediately. I just love it. We discuss big stuff all the time thanks to vn’s.

amother
Brickred

Post Thu, Feb 08 2024, 11:34 am
amother Marigold wrote:
This is my situation too. I live overseas to two close friends, in majorly different timezones and we have a whatsapp chat. We often leave each other extremely long voicenotes, but we also have no expectations of anyone listening immediately or responding quickly. Sometimes one of us won't post for days while the other two continue. This is definitely a replacement phone convo and not a replacement to text. And we all know that for any emergencies, we need to text the person we want individually or call them. I love this group chat.

However, if anyone else I'm not that close to would leave me a long voicenote I'd be very annoyed. Or if someone who lives next to me would do that, I'd just be overwhelmed, even if I'm close to them. There's usually no need for a long vn if I regularly see you in person. I might also be worried they expect me to actually respond that day or the next, where I don't have that pressure in my overseas friend group.

I also try to be considerate about leaving long voice notes. It's not nice to make others listen to you for that long, especially if you're rambling on. Texting forces you to organise your thoughts, but maybe that's part of being considerate.

Ya but we’d be just as annoyed if the person we aren’t close to phoned us. No? Ignoring a phone call is not as touchy as ignoring a vn- I hear.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette