Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
I'm so scared.
Previous  1  2

amother
Dandelion

Post Sun, Feb 11 2024, 8:54 am
amother OP wrote:
OK. You're writing of course so I guess you know. But I'm thinking, just trying to understand, if the cbc shows perfect numbers, where's the number for strep? Do you understand my question? Like where is the strep? Of course in the throat. But why wouldn’t the cbc show it?
Cbc doesn't test directly for strep. It tests different blood counts. Sometimes certain white blood cells rise in response to bacterial infections, but not always. So an elevated white count means there's likely an infections somewhere, but a normal cbc doesn't rule out infections.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Feb 11 2024, 8:55 am
amother Maroon wrote:
Has your child ever complained about this before? One of my dc’s would randomly have pain in their legs, I was told it’s growing pains. I also had it as a kid.

Randomly wouldn't bother me. The fact that it happened so many days in a week suddenly when dc is already on medication is what's concerning. I have another DC that could have it like 3/4 times a month random days. I'm not concerned about that.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Feb 11 2024, 8:56 am
amother Dandelion wrote:
Cbc doesn't test directly for strep. It tests different blood counts. Sometimes certain white blood cells rise in response to bacterial infections, but not always. So an elevated white count means there's likely an infections somewhere, but a normal cbc doesn't rule out infections.

Thanks for explaining.

Success10

Post Sun, Feb 11 2024, 8:57 am
amother OP wrote:
I have an appointment tomorrow. I guess time will tell. I'm pretty sure dr will order a regular blood test to check for a variety of things. The waiting game is the worst.

I can also get really nervous with my kids health, but the situation here really doesn't sound like it's anything serious. Try hard to look at your situation like an outsider. How would you advise someone else in your situation? You'd probably tell them to relax, it's probably nothing.

amother
Grape

Post Sun, Feb 11 2024, 9:08 am
You're getting worked up which is understandable but also really unnecessary. It's 90% strep that never went away.
I just had all my kids on strep medicine back to back for exactly this reason. Complained his whole body hurts even after doing amoxicilon, did another culture, came back positive. You need stronger antibiotics.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Feb 11 2024, 9:13 am
amother Grape wrote:
You're getting worked up which is understandable but also really unnecessary. It's 90% strep that never went away.
I just had all my kids on strep medicine back to back for exactly this reason. Complained his whole body hurts even after doing amoxicilon, did another culture, came back positive. You need stronger antibiotics.

I hope so. When it comes to my kids I go crazy. I volunteer for an organization. The stories are heartbreaking. One crazier than the next. So naturally my mind races to crazy places for anything that is out of the ordinary. (I'm not giving it up so nobody suggest that. It's my passion. My heart and soul goes into what I do)

amother
Maroon

Post Sun, Feb 11 2024, 9:15 am
amother OP wrote:
I hope so. When it comes to my kids I go crazy. I volunteer for an organization. The stories are heartbreaking. One crazier than the next. So naturally my mind races to crazy places for anything that is out of the ordinary. (I'm not giving it up so nobody suggest that. It's my passion. My heart and soul goes into what I do)

I hear you but as the saying goes, when you hear hoof beats think horses not zebras.

amother
Babyblue

Post Sun, Feb 11 2024, 9:37 am
It could just be an effect on the body post strep.
A few years ago my son had a nasty virus and after he recovered he suddenly complained about his legs and couldn't walk anymore literally. We went to the hospital, had a battery of test... Obviously I was freaking out and he was in a wheelchair for a few day, but it turned out it was nothing big b"H it apparently happens to the body sometimes after recovering from an illness.
You can google it. It's scarier than it is. Disappeared on its own.

amother
Whitesmoke

Post Sun, Feb 11 2024, 9:41 am
amother OP wrote:
He just had strep. Just finished with medication. It started a few days in. Cbc was supposedly perfect. Please read my entire post.
Dr also said he throat looks fine compared when I took dc originally it was awful.

My child never had strep throat that we knew of but it showed up in his blood titers. Needed longer antibiotics

amother
OP

Post Sun, Feb 11 2024, 9:44 am
amother Whitesmoke wrote:
My child never had strep throat that we knew of but it showed up in his blood titers. Needed longer antibiotics

Some of my kids had that too. But I thought the amoxicilon would take care of that. My most concerning point is that it started mid medication. Dc was smack in the middle. But I hear what people are saying here. Only time will tell.

amother
Hawthorn

Post Sun, Feb 11 2024, 9:51 am
amother OP wrote:
Some of my kids had that too. But I thought the amoxicilon would take care of that. My most concerning point is that it started mid medication. Dc was smack in the middle. But I hear what people are saying here. Only time will tell.

One of my kids always gets leg pain with strep. Often it only starts during the antibiotics course.
One time it was really bad with limping and Dr was concerned for septic arthritis. We did lab work with inflammatory markers which were high. Happens to be the wbc was also super high and infectious disease dr said we go more by how kid is acting/feeling than by number.
We also saw Orthopedic surgeon who said it was post strep myalgia.

I wouldn’t be overly concerned if it’s just at night. Maybe reswab to make sure strep is gone. And if it lasts a while of course check out more intensely, but for now you can totally calm down.

Also, cbc, as others have said is not an indicator of strep.

amother
Clover

Post Sun, Feb 11 2024, 10:33 am
amother Maize wrote:
Never want away. The medicine masked it but didn’t cure it.

This. Look into holistic or homeopathic remedies otherwise the strep will stay in the body.

amother
Poinsettia

Post Sun, Feb 11 2024, 10:42 am
amother OP wrote:
OK. You're writing of course so I guess you know. But I'm thinking, just trying to understand, if the cbc shows perfect numbers, where's the number for strep? Do you understand my question? Like where is the strep? Of course in the throat. But why wouldn’t the cbc show it?

To my knowledge, cbc checks for viral, strep is bacterial.

amother
Hawthorn

Post Sun, Feb 11 2024, 10:44 am
amother Poinsettia wrote:
To my knowledge, cbc checks for viral, strep is bacterial.

CBC is a complete blood count.
Sometimes you can see based on the way the numbers shift if it leans more towards viral or bacterial markers. With that said, it doesn’t always mean one or the other as per my Dr.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Feb 11 2024, 10:51 am
amother Hawthorn wrote:
Sometimes you can see based on the way the numbers shift if it leans more towards viral or bacterial markers. With that said, it doesn’t always mean one or the other as per my Dr.

Yes. I learned that. The cbc was very 50/50. Like really both numbers in the Hugh 40s

amother
OP

Post Sun, Feb 11 2024, 12:45 pm
amother Hawthorn wrote:

Because of this number shift my dr actually found a uti in dd years ago. Her wbc was elevated not high. In the 11/12k but was slowly climbing. It's started out as 7/8k. Over a 10 day period it got to 11/12. Symptoms were on/off fever and stomach aches. One particular dr I kept going too in the practice dismissed my concerns. I went to a different Dr and told him I ain't leaving until he figures out what's going on. He took one look at the cbc and ordered a urine culture. Rapid was strong positive for uti.

amother
Tangerine

Post Sun, Feb 11 2024, 7:36 pm
amother Clover wrote:
This. Look into holistic or homeopathic remedies otherwise the strep will stay in the body.

like what?
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics