Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
How would you handle this AirBNB policy?
Previous  1  2  3

amother
Birch

Post Tue, Feb 13 2024, 8:37 am
tichellady wrote:
I have stayed in many airbnbs and never had this, that would annoy me

I was required to strip linen and leave house "broom clean" in:

NY (Aiderondacks, (non Jewish) Catskills, Niagara, Finger Lakes, lake george ), NH, VT, AZ, CA, PA (poconos and others), all over NJ.

Maybe these states arent typical.

This was over the past 15 years or so. More recently had one that didn't require and read that airbnb vrbo are discouraging getting this.

amother
Nasturtium

Post Tue, Feb 13 2024, 8:47 am
All they asked was to put the used towels in the laundry room and the garbage bags too.
We left the house spotless because we were just 2 adults on vacation and we didnt use anything in her kitchen or hardly ate in the house.

amother
Pistachio

Post Tue, Feb 13 2024, 8:49 am
amother Birch wrote:

NY (Aiderondacks, (non Jewish) Catskills, Niagara, Finger Lakes, lake george ), NH, VT, AZ, CA, PA (poconos and others), all over NJ.

This was over the past 15 years or so. More recently had one that didn't require and read that airbnb vrbo are discouraging getting this.

I stayed this summer in an airbnb in the Adirondacks. All that was asked was to take out the trash and place all used towels on the bathroom floor.

Same goes for 3 years ago in another location in the Adirondacks. Ive also stayed on Canada, NH and other locations and was never asked for more.

amother
Feverfew

Post Tue, Feb 13 2024, 8:49 am
amother Birch wrote:

Wow I've never seen that and we've rented plenty of times. Was it listed on the page before you booked the house? Cuz I might be a little ticked off if it was sprung on me after

amother
Birch

Post Tue, Feb 13 2024, 8:52 am
amother Birch wrote:

To echo what I said before, all these places allowed me to stay until 11/12, even 1 or 2 pm.

With teens especially, I would not stay anywhere I needed to be out by 10. Even if im ready, they would not want to be.

Usually they referenced when their cleaning crew was coming about how late I could stay. The afternoon ones were probably because thet didnt have guests the next day and I was probably granted that length of an extension last minute.

However, im always aware they can say no. Thats why like op, I ask before I book for a minimum of 11 or 12. I dont think ive been told no, but im aware it can happen.

Op, glad you asked. They can say no and now you know. Now you have to decide how that colors the entire package. Maybe this house isnt as perfect as you hoped. Thats disappointing.

amother
Birch

Post Tue, Feb 13 2024, 9:37 am
amother Feverfew wrote:
Wow I've never seen that and we've rented plenty of times. Was it listed on the page before you booked the house? Cuz I might be a little ticked off if it was sprung on me after

I dont recall if its on the web page or not. But I woukd think that they are. To be honest, I expect these rules at rhis point and its not a sticking point with me (cameras, neighbors, noise restrictions, and checkout time Very Happy and things like that are much more important to me).

Its on the rental contract and house rules for sure, thats what I reference when leaving about how much to clean up.

When I started using rental houses this was certainly the downside over hotels (reallly more likev 18/19 years ago, I just realized how old the kid we started this with almost is Surprised ). Upside is space to spread out, cook, store food, and not have to worry about kids noise.

The one this past summer thar did NOT require cleaning had some indication thay made it clear and promoted on their page because I pointed it out to my husband and said there's been press on this and airbnb is responding.

Is it possible you can now filter for guest cleaning requirements now? I haven't looked for a house since last july.

kenz

Post Tue, Feb 13 2024, 11:18 am
tichellady wrote:
That’s uncommon unless there is no or a low cleaning fee

Nope, typical cleaning fee.

Raisin

Post Tue, Feb 13 2024, 2:16 pm
If its a management company they likely have one cleaning crew doing multiple homes, so they need to clean a few houses in a 4 hour window, thats why they can't make it shorter.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Feb 13 2024, 2:50 pm
Okay, y'all convinced me. We found another place.

As far as the morning plans, the house has a hot tub, pool table, ping pong, etc.
I would like to wake up at 8, daven and eat till 9, got in the hot tub till 10, (kids play pool and ping pong for an hour, clean up and get organized, and then go.
10 really doesn't work.

Remember, the house is the only thing we are doing the whole trip. There is no activity on the way there or back. I'd like an hour of it on Tuesday morning.

octopus

Post Tue, Feb 13 2024, 3:09 pm
amother Offwhite wrote:
Warning- you might find this harsh.
I think it's totally valid for you to ask the first time, but then to persist and ask a 2nd time for an extra half hour??? Please, stop "Jewing" them. You are giving them reason to despise Jews. This is not what Hashem wants.

What on earth is wrong with you? Yes, op should stop being so hung up on the check out time, but your language is abhorrent and disgusting. Haters don't need a reason to hate. And you should be ashamed of yourself.my Italian neighbors are super cheap. They think they are being clever when I think they are bunch of cheapskates sometimes and what's the big deal to spend a few extra bucks! But they would never say amongst themselves "stop italianing them ". What a horrible way to malign your own people. And I will say it under my SN.

amother
Sand

Post Tue, Feb 13 2024, 3:14 pm
amother OP wrote:

As far as the morning plans, the house has a hot tub, pool table, ping pong, etc.
I would like to wake up at 8, daven and eat till 9, got in the hot tub till 10, (kids play pool and ping pong for an hour, clean up and get organized, and then go.
10 really doesn't work.

Remember, the house is the only thing we are doing the whole trip. There is no activity on the way there or back. I'd like an hour of it on Tuesday morning.

In this scenario, I would book the house the extra day and leave much later on tuesday, sometime in the afternoon.
And it was totally reasonable to ask for a later checkout. We've asked many times, and often they're flexible. It is really challenging when on vacation and have to be up and ready early. One of my favorite parts of vacation is not having to get up so early. And with teens, it's impossible to get them out of bed before midmorning at the earliest.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Feb 13 2024, 3:52 pm
amother Sand wrote:
In this scenario, I would book the house the extra day and leave much later on tuesday, sometime in the afternoon.
And it was totally reasonable to ask for a later checkout. We've asked many times, and often they're flexible. It is really challenging when on vacation and have to be up and ready early. One of my favorite parts of vacation is not having to get up so early. And with teens, it's impossible to get them out of bed before midmorning at the earliest.

Thank you! We don't have a budget for another 1/2 day. It's already a stretch to pay for the house.
But thank you for being nice and not attacking me as a rude, entitled person!

B'Syata D'Shmya

Post Tue, Feb 13 2024, 11:40 pm
amother OP wrote:
We are planning on a short family vacation in the next few weeks. The goal is to go somewhere away from where we live, find a nice house with some amenities, and just chill and relax together.
We found a perfect listing at a very good price. We would leave our house on Sunday, get there after 4 pm check-in and then leave Tuesday morning to come back home.

The checkout time listed is 10 am. I asked the owner if we can extend it slightly as we take good care to clean up after ourselves and don't want to get up at the crack of dawn to do so.
She responded that this is not possible because they are booked back to back and their cleaning crew needs sufficient time to clean the whole place. (it's a huge house so I can understand).

I then responded that I get it; would they make a fuss if we ended up walking out closer to 10:30/10:45?
She said, "if you really want that late checkout, book an additional night and we'll give you a 50% discount."

Eh, what about them being booked back to back? According to the AirBNB listing, the house is not reserved again until a week after we leave.

I really want the house; it's gorgeous and meets all our requirements. It's expensive and really beyond our budget but we would splurge because it looks awesome.
But I REALLY don't want to feel like I have to run out promptly at 10 am.

I'm annoyed at the owner, to be honest. (it's a management company; maybe that's the difference?)

Their Air BNB , their rules. Please dont make a chillul Hashem.. You asked your question, you got your answer. If they rate you poorly, you will have trouble booking via air bnb in the future.
Hope you have a nice vacation.

amother
Tuberose

Post Wed, Feb 14 2024, 1:07 am
Op,
I think you’re very smart to have switched.

We recently stayed in a VRBO.

Checkout was 11 sharp or pay an extra $200.

There was a lot to do in the morning to get ready, even with getting partially ready the night before.

And then suddenly my husband got an attack of vertigo that morning.

Which caused delays. BH they didn’t charge us for checking out late.

But a 10 checkout is really too early imo.

amother
Narcissus

Post Wed, Feb 14 2024, 4:59 am
amother OP wrote:

10 really doesn't work.

Interesting. We do a lot of rentals. We have a policy not to swim or use the hot tub the day we leave because of dealing with wet bathing suits, and the amount of time it takes to transition out and closing up the pool or hot tub. But it's up to you- just leave time for dealing with both.

devo1982

Post Wed, Feb 14 2024, 10:33 am
tichellady wrote:
I have stayed in many airbnbs and never had this, that would annoy me

We rented a home over NYE with others - very nice home, spacious, tons of amenities - we were required to strip the linens and put them in the bathrooms, take out the trash, sweep, and run the dishwasher. On top of the cleaning fee. Yes, it was irritating, but c'est la vie, I suppose.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics