Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Looking for mesivta for my 8th grader

amother
OP

Post Mon, Feb 19 2024, 7:48 pm
Has anyone heard of the mesivta in Denver called torahs Chaim, also I was told about the yeshiva in Naugatuck, if anyone can tell me what they know about these places what they are like..
or if anyone can recommend another option, it’s our first kid going to mesivta so we’re new to all this.
Looking for a yeshiva that is to the right, frum, warm, into the learning but also relaxed in the sense that the kids are into sports. With form option

Thanks Smile

amother
Black

Post Mon, Feb 19 2024, 9:10 pm
What you're describing sounds pretty generic. There are very few places that DON'T meet the requirements you describe (and you probably know about those "big name" places anyway, and arent looking into them....) You are going to need to figure out more specific needs for your son in order to narrow a place down...

Think about these questions:
Is your son more self motivated, or does he need a place that has lots of incentive programs/ external motivation?
If you live out of town, will he be okay with a more "new york/lakewood" style crowd (I have a kid in an out of town place that has a more "in town" vibe).
Honestly, what type of supervision does he need? Will he be okay being in the center of things, or would he do better being in some place that's the middle of nowhere? Or does it not matter?

Regarding Naugatuck and Denver,: . My understanding is that Naugatuck is turning out to be more of an intense learning place...., and a lot of the kids are not super into sports and stuff.

However, nothing will really replace a visit, and if that's not possible, talking to parents who have kids there NOW, not 3-4 years ago. These smaller, newer places change a LOT so talking to a mom from 3 years ago is (potentially) just going to give you misinformation. (My information on Naugatuck is based on my son fahering there 2 years ago, it could be different now)

My understanding is that Denver is more laid back, chilled, but the boys are still serious about learning. We looked into for a different kid about 4 years ago, and that's what we saw. Denver is much older, and established, so there is less likely to be so much change in the overall direction.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Feb 19 2024, 10:14 pm
Thanks! He’s great and gets into learning but I think motivation is a good question he would prob do well if they were more motivating programs, and it can be an in town place that is out of town, also in the middle of no where or in a regular city would be fine either way,

Last edited by amother on Tue, Feb 20 2024, 3:55 am; edited 1 time in total

busy mommy

Post Mon, Feb 19 2024, 11:04 pm
orp18 wrote:
Thanks! He’s great and gets into learning but I think motivation is a good question he would prob do well if they were more motivating programs, and it can be an in town place that is out of town, also in the middle of no where or in a regular city would be fine either way,

Your last post is not anonymous. Not sure if you want to change it...
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics