Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Cutting nonessentials

thegiver

Post Thu, Mar 14 2024, 4:54 pm
If you are frugal, pls educate me. (We already don’t eat takeout and usually don’t buy much processed food besides gefilte fish and snacks)

I’m talking particularly about groceries. What have you cut back on and what have you replaced it with?

I was thinking today chocolate is a nonessential. Tea. Pickles. Ketchup. But these things gets the food down (into the kids stomachs)…. Does that mean nonessential has changed definition? Are my children spoiled for taking bunch of nosh to school each day? They will not touch a fruit or vegetable in sight of their friends (how do you get them to eat it—how do you make it more enticing?)

Also what are economical lunches that you pack for the kids’ lunch? Besides cream cheese sandwiches and cheese toast… how do you train them to accept diverse choices?

Tuna and eggs is long banned “too smelly” “my friends don’t like it” what is wrong with this generation!?

Also, does Costco save you $ or are you disciplined shopper when you see good deals? What helps you stay true to the budget and not splurge on things you want but don’t need?

How does it work when shabbos pays you back—does this mean freedom to splurge $25 plank of salmon?

If you live frugally please educate me.

amother
Oak

Post Thu, Mar 14 2024, 6:36 pm
To me it means the default position is that we don’t need it. I had to find a good reason to buy it, not the other way around. I also am very good at stretching small amounts of protein, as well as repurposing meals into other meals.

amother
Puce

Post Thu, Mar 14 2024, 7:54 pm
There are many threads on this and similar. Depends what your current shopping looks like and how much you need to cut back.
Start with shopping sales, cheaper brand, try not to buy to much perishable that will go bad before you use it. Try to finish leftovers instead of tossing.
You don't need to stop buying snacks,but look at price. Will your kids eat generic brand? Or try to stock up when their favorites go on sale. Can you bake muffins or cookies for snack?
Same with ketchup, pickles ..cheaper brand or on sale..
Hatzlacha

amother
NeonPurple

Post Thu, Mar 14 2024, 8:04 pm
I don’t want my kids to feel very deprived. And yeah I think not having things like ketchup or semi-fun snacks in the house will have them feeling lacking. Pickles they don’t care as much about. But olives make the home-made pizza more “fun” so I can get away with never getting take-out pizza since we have good pizza at home.
So we aren’t eating beans and rice. But we buy store brand items when cheaper and if they’re not very much lower quality than name brand. I will try to buy their treats when on sale. I feel like food is the one thing we do splurge on a bit because it is so enjoyable and we do have to eat.

amother
Winterberry

Post Thu, Mar 14 2024, 9:23 pm
Bingo saved me so much. 1st time I went and I spent much less. One thing I cut back that helped was juice and drinks. You can make lemonade and it's way cheaper and buy seltzer if you want something else.Lesve soda and expensive drinks for Shabbos. I bought 3 yogurts for $3 on Bingo, cholov ysroel. Their cheese and meats are also cheaper than other stores.

amother
DarkRed

Post Thu, Mar 14 2024, 9:32 pm
I started baking rolls for lunches kids love it and cup cakes for snacks covering cup cakes with chocolate and toppings. It's fun, filling and cuts cost of snacks.

ray family

Post Thu, Mar 14 2024, 11:47 pm
Kids can have a combination of snacks + fruits,veg,homemade baked goods.
You don’t only have to give them premade snack bags
I don’t think the occasion bottle of ketchup is what’s pushing you over your budget.
Are you buying cereal - if yes, how much?
Can you make oatmeal, farina, homemade pancakes or waffles etc and stock them in the freezer
Do you buy yogurts?
What does not buying much processed foods mean? ( I don’t love in the US so I don’t know what’s available to you) are you buying cup of soups, other ready made frozen items?
What about brand name products vs generic brands?
How much waste is there?
Mid week are you eating fleishigs every night?
Can you introduce more parve food?
What about baking your own challah and desserts for Shabbos?
Just some ideas that come to mind.

amother
DarkYellow

Post Fri, Mar 15 2024, 12:24 am
amother Winterberry wrote:
Bingo saved me so much. 1st time I went and I spent much less. One thing I cut back that helped was juice and drinks. You can make lemonade and it's way cheaper and buy seltzer if you want something else.Lesve soda and expensive drinks for Shabbos. I bought 3 yogurts for $3 on Bingo, cholov ysroel. Their cheese and meats are also cheaper than other stores.

Bingo is NOT cheaper in a lot of things. I saw it now with my Purim shopping.

Yes they sometimes do have major sales, but I have yet to shop there and see a difference in my bill.

Yes, they have a few of their own brand products that are cheaper, but sometimes it’s not worth making the special trip to save a few bucks just for those few items.

amother
NeonOrange

Post Fri, Mar 15 2024, 12:45 am
Ketchup is essential. Heinz is non essential.
I buy store brand for everything that is edible and comparable. So I buy the store brand ziplocs but not the ones from the dollar store (ends up more per bag anyways).
I will not buy store brand cereal but I buy only when on sale. Mayo I only buy Best Foods (Hellmans for you East Coasters). Everything else pretty much is store brand if kosher.
I buy bigger bags of cheaper snacks and the kids pack it in store brand ziploc vs snack bags.
My kids eat vegetables and fruit. Send with a ziploc of dressing. I also just limit the junk. Tell them how many they can take. Junk doesn't fill anyways.
Sandwiches- PB and J, cheese, cream cheese, egg salad and tuna if cold don't smell, hummus (walmart!!)

I don't find costco saves me vs sale shopping but it is bulk. I don't have a membership anymore.
I like Walmart. They won't do the delivery to my apartment (yet!) But they do ship. I also just drive there. Store brands are much cheaper and if I am not sure, I use my regular non Kosher grocery store's app to compare.

I also shop at the local Safeway/Vons/Kroger etc with their card and clip coupons to their app. Super easy and saves a bundle.

Bnei Berak 10

Post Fri, Mar 15 2024, 4:10 am
Bottled water: install a water filter or Brita filter instead.
We drink lots of seltzers. I have a soda stream machine. ( only buy bottles for pesach which is a huge shlepp)
Soda only for shabbos.

amother
Chicory

Post Sun, Mar 17 2024, 5:45 am
Will your kids eat popcorn
A huge gallon size bag is pennies to make
They can make it gourmet and have fun spicing it different ways

Much cheaper than those snack bags that hardly any come and you are left wanting more

amother
Anemone

Post Sun, Mar 17 2024, 7:04 am
1. Make a list before you shop, and stick to it. Don't buy something just because you see it and decide it's a good idea. If you didn't think you needed it before you got to the store, you can still be fine without it.
2. Can your kids bake with you? If they do, they're much more excited about what they baked (even if it's healthy!) and likely to try it. You can bake oatmeal breakfast cookies or muffins for them to take as snacks to school.
3. This depends how old your kids are, but 'creative cookout nights' are super fun - each family member (or team if some are too young) are given certain ingredients and then they gotta make supper with that. You can use any ingredients, it really doesn't matter, because the point is to have fun. Sometimes we davka do it with only 5 ingredients, that's all you're allowed to use for the main, for ex. The cookout night can include creative presentation. You take pics and at the end of the week (or however long the competition stands for), you vote on a winner! Obviously this only covers dinners for a few nights, but it might expand your horizons of foods the family might eat.
4. Stretch protein. Instead of serving breaded cutlets, serve a stir fry with a lot more veg than chicken, for ex.

These are things that have worked for us. Hope you find ones that work for you!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics