Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Recommended reading etc

Kumphort

Post Tue, Nov 22 2005, 2:28 pm
Anyone have any suggesions for recommended reading or someother source of advice on dealing with an idependent stubborn soon to be two-year old.

My cutie 16 months old, has become a real stubborn handful, with a mind of his own. I need some fresh ideas on negotiating,discipling etc him..

Tefila

Post Tue, Nov 22 2005, 5:34 pm
Wish u luck Exclamation at this age most won't sit w/h a book for longer then 5 secs unless it's in their mouth, or they can have fun ripping pages.
I do have both the yom tov and alef bet beautiful illustrations cloth book but they r not interested only with interactive books. like ones where they can press buttons those r fun except I am still looking for a jewish one like that. Hatzlacha Very Happy
and as far as discipling well that I'm still working on What

gryp

Post Tue, Nov 22 2005, 6:15 pm
freilich- I think she meant for herself Wink

red sea

Post Tue, Nov 22 2005, 6:45 pm
I don't know of any good books but I do know from experience what worked with my stubborn independent ones. I think that independence is a sign of a bright child and I actually like to encourage them to express themselves and learn desicion making skills. I offer lots of age appropriate choices ie: this outfit or that one, for tonites dinner - chicken or fish etc. simple either or type choices. I reserve telling them what to do for only the real important stuff. If they do not want to listen, I first tell them I understand that they do not want to but still have to listen, then I just physically pick them up and walk them thru the motions so they they do it anyway. If I'm too tired to enforce something, even if it's important, I still phrase it as a choice so that they can choose "no" in order to maintain consistency. If I am consistent - they learn when I tell them to do something they are going to listen, and it still gives them an outlet to be their own person. Anyways, this is what works for me, maybe it'll help you.

Tefila

Post Tue, Nov 22 2005, 7:19 pm
Quote:
freilich- I think she meant for herself

So she did embarrassed
Well good tips anyway don't u think Very Happy

hisorerus

Post Tue, Nov 22 2005, 8:00 pm
How to Talk so Kids will Listen, and Listen so Kids will Talk
by Mazlish and Faber

Rivk

Post Tue, Nov 22 2005, 8:57 pm
"Parenting with Love and Logic" - totally changed my outlook on parenting.

tzivi

Post Wed, Nov 23 2005, 7:21 am
RG wrote:
freilich- I think she meant for herself Wink

Hahaha LOL LOL

tzivi

Post Wed, Nov 23 2005, 7:23 am
hisorerus wrote:
How to Talk so Kids will Listen, and Listen so Kids will Talk
by Mazlish and Faber

This book is amazing, but I am not sure that it is for toddlers.

I would also suggest Toddler Taming by Chris Green ~ I am not sure if it is Australian or not or whether it is available online or overseas, but it is a fabulous book.

gryp

Post Wed, Nov 23 2005, 12:07 pm
Quote:
Well good tips anyway don't u think Very Happy

freilich, you always have good tips Smile

Kumphort

Post Wed, Nov 23 2005, 12:10 pm
Ok, I am looking on amazon.com for the love and logic book.

They have a parenting with love and logic for early childhood. Has anyone read it?

Does the regular love & logic book deal with toddlers, or is it more with older children?

Rivk

Post Wed, Nov 23 2005, 1:43 pm
The regular love and logic book is more geared toward older children, but the overall system works for children of all ages. I'm thinking about getting the early childhood one myself! Although really, once you understand the concepts you can apply it to any age. I'm assuming that the early childhood book has more examples with babies / toddlers as opposed to the other book which has more examples with older children. Good luck!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics