Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
Double take this week

amother
OP

Post Sun, Mar 24 2024, 9:07 am
https://mishpacha.com/after-hours/

This week’s double take was silly. I don’t know why Ella didn’t just go to the urgent care. Takes the same amount of time as going to her friend’s house.

amother
Denim

Post Sun, Mar 24 2024, 9:11 am
Yes, but I think having a personal policy and not making exceptions is a copout. It makes people feel as though they're no longer responsible for each individual decision, but that's not the case. If you're okay with turning people away, it's just as okay without a policy. If you're not okay with it, a policy doesn't make it better.

amother
Pear

Post Sun, Mar 24 2024, 9:35 am
I think realistically most doctors will get people coming over and asking them just to check this, or to ask about that. It's kinda part of the territory.
I think it just came over as a little bit rigid. Hatzola is not the call for everything, and tbh my experience with them for a lot of my kids was that they recommended we take them to be checked by a doctor, due to their age, and that they can't confirm an injury is just surface.
Waiting for hours in the emergency room isn't much fun. And for some reason it's always worst at night.
But the story did seem a little overdramatized.

amother
Red

Post Sun, Mar 24 2024, 11:09 am
My father is a doctor, and yes, he has to have these types of boundaries and stick to them. He's not a malach, nor is he a machine. It's never "just five minutes", and even if it were, if enough people take just five minutes, it still adds up. Plus there's the whole liability issue. Doctors are not a concierge service (unless you're paying for that). Yes, sometimes illness or injury happens at an inconvenient time. That's what urgent care is for. You can't just be banging down your doctor friend's door for everything, that's not fair to the doctor or their family.

amother
Ginger

Post Sun, Mar 24 2024, 11:10 am
amother Pear wrote:
I think realistically most doctors will get people coming over and asking them just to check this, or to ask about that. It's kinda part of the territory.
I think it just came over as a little bit rigid. Hatzola is not the call for everything, and tbh my experience with them for a lot of my kids was that they recommended we take them to be checked by a doctor, due to their age, and that they can't confirm an injury is just surface.
Waiting for hours in the emergency room isn't much fun. And for some reason it's always worst at night.
But the story did seem a little overdramatized.

Nowadays, there's urgent care.

amother
Calendula

Post Sun, Mar 24 2024, 11:15 am
I didn't read the article.

My parents are doctors and we grew up with people coming by all the time. My parents are amazing and really take care of people from the kindness in their heart.

I do think it's a little tone deaf to go to a doctor who is making a simcha. But if the person didn't know, it's understandable. However, if they are told it's not the best time, I think they should take that as, "please go elsewhere" instead of pushing in.

It also depends what the ailment is.

Everyone should use seichel.

notshanarishona

Post Sun, Mar 24 2024, 11:28 am
Coming to the doctor while he is midst purim seudah (and very possibly drinking and not at full capacity) or a sheva brachos is extremely rude. I do think it’s ok to stop by a doctor who is a family friend on Shabbos if you are unsure if it really requires being mechalel Shabbos or not, but only at reasonable hours. Doctors are not on call 24/7 and need boundaries for their mental health.

bsy

Post Sun, Mar 24 2024, 1:15 pm
I took a child to the ER last night. It was hard but safety is important and I didn't want to bother a neighbor after reading this story on Shabbos

eta14

Post Sun, Mar 24 2024, 1:21 pm
The question is what about on shabbos when you live where there is no hatzalah? On shabbos my sons finger was clearly infected he woke me up at 6am and it has swollen up like a balloon. In the end, my husband took him to shul and asked if anyone could take a look. I don't think what we did was wrong bc I had no idea if it was something that needed medical care asap or something that could wait...I'm not a Dr and where we live now has no hatzalah.

amother
Khaki

Post Sun, Mar 24 2024, 1:30 pm
eta14 wrote:
The question is what about on shabbos when you live where there is no hatzalah? On shabbos my sons finger was clearly infected he woke me up at 6am and it has swollen up like a balloon. In the end, my husband took him to shul and asked if anyone could take a look. I don't think what we did was wrong bc I had no idea if it was something that needed medical care asap or something that could wait...I'm not a Dr and where we live now has no hatzalah.

I probably would have sent DH to shul to ask the rav if he thinks we can drive him to an urgent care. Or you can call your local pediatrician and have the on call doctor advise what to do. Even with no hatzalah there are many avenues a person can take

amother
Strawberry

Post Sun, Mar 24 2024, 1:33 pm
eta14 wrote:

In this story, clearly there was Hatzalah available, as she said this numerous times.

If there's no Hatzalah where you live, it might be different, but still, noones obligated.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room