Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Purim
Shout out to an almost stranger, 10 years later!

amother
OP

Post Sun, Mar 24 2024, 6:25 pm
All the threads about the difficulty some woman have finding a babysitter so they, and everyone else in their Shul can hear Megillah undisturbed reminded me of this...

I was PP and feeling very out of sorts and anxious. I had a few little kids and they all had to be at their Rebbes and teachers at particular times, meaning I had to go to Megillah leining in a few mins.. Only the baby had given both dh and me a difficult night, and he had gone to a later minyan then planned.

I was a nervous wreck, standing in front of my house with my kids hoping dh would come home already. Just then an aunt of my relative walked passed and asked what was the matter (I must've looked as anxious as I felt) and I told her.

This wonderful warm Bubby said 'Oh how I remember Purim with little kids! It's so stressfull, but it gets easier! Then she took my baby and toddler and sent me off to Megilla. 5 minutes later, dh came running in hoping I'd still get to Megillah on time, to find this Bubby playing happily on the floor with my (happy) kids!

In an interesting twist, this lady became my brother's mother-in-law a few years later Very Happy Very Happy

amother
Cognac

Post Sun, Mar 24 2024, 6:26 pm
đź‘Ź thanks to the village!

Rappel

Post Sun, Mar 24 2024, 6:29 pm
She sounds lovely Smile

amother
OP

Post Sun, Mar 24 2024, 6:48 pm
You know what was the nicest thing about it? That she didn't lecture me that I should be grateful I've got kids or tell me Purim gets harder when they get older etc etc. She just saw what I needed and did it!

happy7

Post Sun, Mar 24 2024, 8:39 pm
Incredibly special!

amother
Lightblue

Post Sun, Mar 24 2024, 9:44 pm
Great story, op! She saw a need and filled it.

amother
Trillium

Post Sun, Mar 24 2024, 9:46 pm
Love this story. Thanks for sharing with us.

effess

Post Sun, Mar 24 2024, 11:25 pm
When I grow up I want to be like her!
This story went straight into my kishkes. How I needed that woman to step into my life when my baby was a newborn.

amother
DarkMagenta

Post Sun, Mar 24 2024, 11:28 pm
We need more of these women!!

Thank you for sharing this story. Bli neder, next year, I will ask at least one person in the community who I think could use it if they would like to bring their child(ren) over so they can go listen to megillah.

ra_mom

Post Sun, Mar 24 2024, 11:31 pm
That's so touching- what an incredible woman!! Hashem should bentch her.
I appreciate you sharing the story of this beautiful act of kindness.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Mar 25 2024, 12:31 pm
I decided to give this lady a ring and tell her that I was just thinking about this, and wonders if she remembers about it.

She had a good chuckle, said she recalls chatting with me in my front garden, with me holding a newborn on Purim a few years back, but doesn't remember babysitting! I told her it was only 5 mins but she saved me.

She said she was glad she helped me, and said I should pass the favour forward, so will have to remember that next Purim Very Happy

mudpies

Post Mon, Mar 25 2024, 3:43 pm
Really warmed my heart to read this. Such a simple thing, but so beautiful. Shows how much of a difference you can make with such a small thing, or with just a few minutes. Good food for thought. Thanks for sharing!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics