Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
Living in Israel, do you keep1 or 2 days Yom Tov
Previous  1  2  3  4

Do you keep 1 day or 2 days Yom Tov
We keep 1 day, as it it was & will be when Moshiach comes  
 82%  [ 48 ]
We live here temporarily so we keep 2 days  
 0%  [ 0 ]
We live here a long time but keep 2 days as plan on moving back  
 1%  [ 1 ]
We keep 1 day, we live in Israel & are vacationing out of the country  
 6%  [ 4 ]
Other, please comment  
 8%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 58

amother
OP

Post Wed, May 01 2024, 10:34 am
Isramom8 wrote:
After October 7, a lot of Israelis went to chutz laaretz, whether Cyprus, Georgia the country or the US etc. for a while because they felt it would be calmer for their families. I think everyone has to do what works for them and do not deserve to be bullied for it. They didn't prove that they don't consider EY to be their home. They proved that they considered their family's physical well being and mental health seriously.

For this the נביא warned that if one leave Israel "because it's bad" the "sword will follow them".

Hashem is everywhere and His decrees go where the person is.

(See anti Semitism now, it's everywhere not only in Israel, Not only for religious. Shockingly, on Oct 7 they especially hit those who didn't believe in Hashem, those who helped Gazans for years & now it spread all over the world including liberal college campuses.)

May Hashem keep us safe as only He can.

amother
Grape

Post Wed, May 01 2024, 10:52 am
essie14 wrote:
Is option 1 for people who have made aliyah? It's a bit confusing.
I don't know anyone who lives here who keeps 2 days.
It's basically an aveira of bal tosif, from what I understand. If Israel is your home you keep one day.

The only people who keep 2 days are vacationers who don't own a home here or students.

If you own a home in Israel but don’t live there, you keep two days. Unless Chabad who hold that if you’re in Israel for YT at all you keep one day.
It’s way more complicated than you make it out to be.

shabbatiscoming

Post Wed, May 01 2024, 10:54 am
amother Grape wrote:
If you own a home in Israel but don’t live there, you keep two days. Unless Chabad who hold that if you’re in Israel for YT at all you keep one day.

Nope. I know people who are not chabad and were told to keep one day when they come visit because they own property in israel but live out of israel.

amother
Grape

Post Wed, May 01 2024, 11:02 am
shabbatiscoming wrote:
Nope. I know people who are not chabad and were told to keep one day when they come visit because they own property in israel but live out of israel.

My family was told to keep two days. And we don’t rabbi shop. In our community this is what is done. Once you move there, then you keep one day. And when in chul, there are specific halachos to follow. It’s very complicated.

shabbatiscoming

Post Wed, May 01 2024, 11:06 am
amother Grape wrote:
My family was told to keep two days. And we don’t rabbi shop. In our community this is what is done. Once you move there, then you keep one day. And when in chul, there are specific halachos to follow. It’s very complicated.

My point was that therrme is not ONE correct answer. Thats all. I know people eho were told to keep one day and people who were told to keep two.
Nobody was rabbi dhopping. They asked and did what they were told was the psak for them.

essie14

Post Wed, May 01 2024, 11:31 am
amother Grape wrote:

Nope. I know many people who own vacation homes in Israel and they were all told to keep 1 day of chag.
It's not complicated.

amother
Pear

Post Wed, May 01 2024, 11:40 am
salt wrote:
Do they put on tefillin?

Hmmm... I don't know... would have to ask my husband...
or maybe someone else here knows?

amother
Pear

Post Wed, May 01 2024, 11:41 am
shabbatiscoming wrote:

I know someone who doesn't live here, but owns property here and comes for the shalosh regalim every year so they keep 1 day.

Comptroller

Post Wed, May 01 2024, 12:09 pm
amother OP wrote:
If you call Israel home, do you keep 1 or 2 days Yom Tov?

The poll questions are responses I heard from people. Are there many others?

Walking the streets in Israel is always magical. You meet natives, those who made Israel their permanent home, those who live here long term without Aliya and Kollel couples etc. Also, people from around the world from many different backgrounds and countries.

Walking around on the second day Yom tov is so unique. Many people do their shopping and driving, while others are dressed in shabbos clothes and go to Yom Tov meals.

Hearing everyone's experiences is fascinating.
May we welcome Moshiach very soon.

I don't think the question of 1 or 2 days is linked to moshiach or not.

I think it is a purely geographical question, just like shmitta and others. So to me it is clear that people living permanently in Israel do 1 day of yom-tov.

Chabad has a slightly different rule. They act according to the place where they are on Yomtov itself, regardless where their permament home is, so 1 day in Israel, even if they live in chul, and 2 days in chul, even if they live in Isreal.

amother
Dustypink

Post Wed, May 01 2024, 6:42 pm
amother Turquoise wrote:
I don't know anyone who lives here and keeps 2 days (while here)

I’ve been living in Israel for 5 years and was told to keep 2 days because I don’t know how long I’ll be living here.

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 02 2024, 4:24 pm
I want to thank everyone who took the time to post and those who are still posting. It's fascinating to learn from everyone.

a2z

Post Mon, May 06 2024, 2:21 am
We live here in Israel keep one day.
the only thing that I would want 2 days for is a second seder. That way you could actually appreciate it because you aren't falling asleep on your nose most of the time.
Page 4 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions