Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Photography and Fine Art
Bday cakes
Previous  1  2

mugsisme

Post Wed, Jun 11 2008, 11:03 am
shabri wrote:
A little off topic but whats your icing recipe? I just made a cake for DD yesterday and got a recipe from a friend but the icing was very hard to spread. Yours looks professional.

I used to decorate cakes professionally. I used the Wilton icing.
Wilton icing recipe here. I used shortening for the butter (2 cups shortening) and water. If the icing is too thick to spread, add a tiny drop more water. If you want chocolate instead of white, then use margarine and add 3/4 cup cocoa. Use pareve milk instead of water, but refrigerate any leftover icing.

Pictures of my cakes are here:
Leah's cakes

I stopped decorating 7 years ago, and never finished updating the site. Some pictures got moved around and I never fixed it back up. One of these days.

chayitty

Post Wed, Jun 11 2008, 11:26 am
wow shopaholic!!...that is such a cute professsional cake!!!

Seraph

Post Wed, Jun 11 2008, 11:31 am
I've posted this elsewhere, but I mate my husband an "under the sea" birthday cake with fish and other stuff made out of food colored taffies. I also made three little babies as a centerpeice for a cake for a kiddush for three little girls- also out of taffy.

Tamiri

Post Wed, Jun 11 2008, 11:32 am
I think that for white icing I will use Israeli white chocolate spread and for dark icing, regular chocolate spread. Seems easiest.

shabri

Post Wed, Jun 11 2008, 12:06 pm
JUst rich's whip and you were able to decorate on top? I was thinking abt doing that but thought that the whip would be too whipped that nothing would stay. I guess I should have done that.

There is no (or very little) shortening to be found. I used all marg instead of half and half but didn't love the consistancy (or the taste)

smiley:)

Post Wed, Jun 11 2008, 12:11 pm
shabri wrote:
JUst rich's whip and you were able to decorate on top? I was thinking abt doing that but thought that the whip would be too whipped that nothing would stay. I guess I should have done that.

There is no (or very little) shortening to be found. I used all marg instead of half and half but didn't love the consistancy (or the taste)

As you are whipping it you check the consistency so it should be good. Shouldnt be like liquid, shouldnt be too stiff.

Raisin

Post Wed, Jun 11 2008, 1:31 pm
tamiri - do a green icing, and make footballers and a ballout of marzipan, or use lego men.

Marion

Post Wed, Jun 11 2008, 3:53 pm
shabri wrote:

I WILL NOT use margarine in my icing; I hate the taste of it. I also use the Wilton recipe, all shortening. I have found shortening at SuperDeal on Derech Hevron (and online at www.dcity.co.il), and at Super HaMoshava on Emek Refaim. I'm told it can also be bought at CheaperKol, but I haven't yet seen it there with my own 2 eyes.

Crayon210

Post Wed, Jun 11 2008, 6:23 pm
mugsisme, I LOVE your cakes. I enjoyed looking at them a few years ago, and I never cease to be amazed. I love looking at beautiful cakes, and yours are really something.

red sea

Post Wed, Jun 18 2008, 1:05 pm
the idea is nice & has great potential for those capable but I am somewhat icing challenged & cake designing application pathetic but I made it for an upsherin, its an alef bais house.

well those are 2 of the sides of it, it had the entire alef bais and a door etc.

yo'ma

Post Wed, Jun 18 2008, 1:42 pm
red sea wrote:
the idea is nice & has great potential for those capable but I am somewhat icing challenged & cake designing application pathetic but I made it for an upsherin, its an alef bais house.

well those are 2 of the sides of it, it had the entire alef bais and a door etc.

You're too humble!! It's adorable!!

YALT

Post Sun, Sep 14 2008, 8:27 am
now that I finally got the pics up on photobucket, I'm posting them.
I CANNOT hold my hand still! Therefore, I cannot make fancy patterns on the cake, etc...
So, I get creative! Make all decorations off the cake, either with readymade things (cookies, pretzels, etc..) or make 4/5 until it looks decent. THen put it on the cake on the day of.
I started this cake 2 weeks before the upsherin.
If you want more details, let me know.
If you plan to do it in CH, let me know. I just don't want to put in all the effort, for DS' upsherin if it won't be original. I have other ideas taking its form in my head.
His Upsherin is IY"H 21 Teves.

Now for the pics....

Car #0-1: bris,pidyon haben

Car #3: Upsherin

Car #13: Bar Mitzvah

Car #18: Chupah

Car #65: Retirement

Seraph

Post Sun, Sep 14 2008, 9:01 am
Wow. Beautiful. That must have been lots and lots of work.

Uriel loves fish. So I made him a fishy birthday cake.

My first try at using frosting to decorate.

Ilovechoumous

Post Sun, Sep 14 2008, 10:17 am
such beautiful cakes!!!
over the years, ive made quite a few. I was lucky to be involved in a cake decorating class once, its really great.

Tamiri, I've seen many caduregel cakes, but here is an idea:

bake a cake in a big rectangular pan (enough cake to fill it, should feed lots of kids).

do you know about fondant? roll fondant with green food colouring.

if not, make an easy icing- 4 c powdered sugar, 150 g butter, 2 tbs water. if its too thick, add a tiny bit more water, use a mixer.

keep some white icing for the lines.
add some green food colouring to the rest.
if you want to get really fancy, and have a lot of time, pipe the icing onto the cake so that it looks like grass.
if you dont have time, spread the green icing over the cake for the grass. use the extra white icing for the lines or border.

at the toy store, buy little soccer people, little posts, and a little ball. position all of these things as if they are actually engaged in a soccer match.

I think you pass through raanana sometimes, on achuza where the bank leumi is, they also have taste- a bakers store and next to it a toy store. can get most things from there.

good luck and tell me how it goes.

GAMZu

Post Sun, Sep 14 2008, 11:00 am
Whoa, Yalt, that's like a whole sculpture! LOL

Seraph, I love it! Did Uriel devour the cake? Very Happy

gamekeeper

Post Sun, Oct 26 2008, 1:17 am
how do I post a pic?

gamekeeper

Post Sun, Oct 26 2008, 1:45 am

gamekeeper

Post Sun, Oct 26 2008, 1:46 am
[img]
[/img]
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Photography and Fine Art