Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism
Doing chesed with little child at home

amother

Post Mon, Apr 04 2005, 4:06 pm
I would like to get more involved in chesed projects/organizations. I have a 2 year old at home and I don't want to do anything at her expense (I.e. leaving her with babysitter while I go to do chesed)
I was wondering if you had any ideas of things to do that you can do with a child at home or where you could bring a child along.

Motek

Post Mon, Apr 04 2005, 4:28 pm
I'm glad you started this thread as I had thought, on and off, of starting a thread about chesed ideas and what sorts of chesed women do.

some ideas:

hosting people for Shabbos meals

having a book or tape library if there isn't one in your area

working on making shidduchim, maybe hosting shidduchim meetings

hosting/planning a Rosh Chodesh party for women with speakers etc.

Tefila

Post Mon, Apr 04 2005, 4:33 pm
Taking your 2yr old to visit an older person (not for 2 long though). Giving some shabbos treat to give w/h her to someone you know!!

Motek

Post Tue, Apr 12 2005, 1:51 pm
I read a nice article in the fall issue of Horizons about women who cook for Chai Lifeline. It can be cooking once a week for a family, or even one portion a week. The organization picks up the food and give it to families and to people who are staying with relatives in the hospital.

don't know if you have something like this in your area
the article has a brooklyn phone number to both cook or to deliver food: 718-438-5409

there's also the idea of cooking for those who need it in your area, for brissin, etc.

curlyhead

Post Fri, Apr 15 2005, 1:11 am
Make a mommy and me. There are many mothers out there who are lonely and looking for people to talk to. Babysit other peoples kids who need an extra hand - like someone who just had a baby
Another idea I heard of is to have a mommy and me in a nursing home.

Tefila

Post Fri, Apr 15 2005, 1:13 am
Quote:
Make a mommy and me. There are many mothers out there who are lonely and looking for people to talk to

Great idea!

timeout

Post Tue, Jun 21 2005, 10:41 pm
Rivky how do I find out about a Mommy and me in a nursing home?

elisecohen

Post Thu, Jun 23 2005, 9:52 am
Contact your local bikur cholim or Chai Lifeline about a family nearby with a special needs child the same age and go for playdates/mommy support dates. You can't imagine what a level of chessed and chizuk this can be for the other mother.

ShakleeMom

Post Fri, Feb 06 2009, 2:17 pm
Does anybody know a person who would be willing to deliver Shabbos food packages to a family in Canarsie? it's about 20 minutes away from Flatbush. I am trying to help this family but no organization would deliver to them!

flowerpower

Post Fri, Feb 06 2009, 4:00 pm
Do you drive? A ton of orginazations advertise that they are lookiing for female drivers.

Visiting an old lady 20 minutes a week is easy and they old woman really waits for it. I take my dd to a 96 year old woman(witht he brain of a 22 year old) and dd and her are best friends lol. Cojo in flatbush is good for that.

If you don't hate cooking, you can cook meal for a family that needs it.

Raisin

Post Sat, Feb 07 2009, 3:37 pm
almost 4 years later the op might have other things to fill her day.

ShakleeMom

Post Sat, Feb 07 2009, 6:54 pm
Raisin wrote:
almost 4 years later the op might have other things to fill her day.
I revived this because the thread came up... Mrs. Spirer can cook for this family but won't deliver to Canarsie. What woudl you do ?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics