Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
S/o do you like voice notes?
Previous  1  2  3  Next

Do you like voice notes?
Love them  
 21%  [ 40 ]
Can’t stand them  
 51%  [ 94 ]
Don’t care  
 18%  [ 33 ]
Other  
 8%  [ 15 ]
Total Votes : 182

amother
Lotus

Post Thu, Aug 31 2023, 12:10 am
amother Bronze wrote:
Are you holdin it up to ur ear? Like a regular phone call? 🤙

We might’ve forgotten what that means thanx to AirPods. Honestly though what a blessing

Yea. But it still just stops.

(I don’t have airpods.)

chanatron1000

Post Thu, Aug 31 2023, 12:10 am
Anything that can be a text shouldn't be a voice note. But if it would otherwise be a phone call, I like them.

singleagain

Post Thu, Aug 31 2023, 12:14 am
Disclaimer voice to text

And I voice to text sometimes because I have a hard time putting into typing what I can by voicing my thoughts I am. I don't know exactly what the word is but I think best when I talk out loud so if I'm trying to put together a response I will sometimes do it like that. However, an options where it is not available I will voice to text but then I don't proofread and I'm sorry which is why I often start my posts with disclaimer or I put it at the end of the post if I forget to do it at the top

I do however really dislike voice notes when I am driving as my car can't read a voice note. It will just say this message contains only a voice note

However, there are times when I don't like trading voice notes. I prefer to get a text back. I also just funny because I've noticed sometimes that if I voice note a friend they sometimes voice note me back instead of texting me back

amother
Yellow

Post Thu, Aug 31 2023, 12:28 am
Used to hate them so much but now I love them for very specific situations.

I moved to a different time zone from my closest friends. It's extremely hard to catch up in real time. My best friend and I will leave each other extremely long voice notes but we don't expect immediate responses. Sometimes days or even a week or more will go by, but we're both chill about it, so it works for us. I tend to listen with an AirPod in while I'm doing chores. Since we started doing this, we're both in touch so much more than we would have been otherwise. It's a blessing, honestly.

On the flip side, if someone sends a voice note just to say "yeah" or "what's up", I find those more annoying. That really could have been a text. If I don't have time at the moment to respond, I might forget to because it's just a voice note and I won't see the words "what's up" waiting for a response when I scroll by.

Fyi you can speed up voice notes by 1.5 and 2, so if the person speaks slowly you can cut the listening time in half.

amother
Aqua

Post Thu, Aug 31 2023, 12:41 am
Hate hate hate receiving while at work or around other people.

Love ability to send while driving or something that needs more detail that doesn't make sense to text.

Still don't understand why they don't offer the option to translate voice note to text like when I receive voicemail to email and I can read the message (although admittingly sometimes obscured)

lovecouches

Post Thu, Aug 31 2023, 12:45 am
I have had multiple phones. I just put it by my ear like a regular phone call and walla no one else can hear. I also don't really have friends or anyone that sends voice notes that take more than maybe 30-45 seconds and the long ones aren't filled with ums but with an answer to a question. I also in general don't feel obligated to answer voice notes or texts right away.

amother
Zinnia

Post Thu, Aug 31 2023, 12:46 am
voted 'other' because my phone doesnt have the capability to send or recieve them.

imaima

Post Thu, Aug 31 2023, 1:33 am
I like them when the person knows what they want to say. If them hem and haw and sigh for half a minute, I lose my patience.
I also don’t like voice notes over 5 min long which are basically a therapy session on Whatsapp…

DrMom

Post Thu, Aug 31 2023, 1:49 am
Arguments against voice messaging:

- I can check my whstsapps unobtrusively in a meeting by quickly glancing at my phone. I won't listen to a voice message in such a setting.

Arguments for:

- Helps if your hands are occupied (driving) or if you can't stop to type (if you are walking, for example)

- Handy for me if I am leaving a message in Hebrew, which I still speak much better than I spell Can't Believe It

amother
Yellow

Post Thu, Aug 31 2023, 1:52 am
imaima wrote:
I like them when the person knows what they want to say. If them hem and haw and sigh for half a minute, I lose my patience.
I also don’t like voice notes over 5 min long which are basically a therapy session on Whatsapp…

If anyone needs to hem and haw, they should pause their voice note until they think of the words they're looking for.

If you're listening to a vn of someone who hems and haws, listen at 2x speed.

amother
Fern

Post Thu, Aug 31 2023, 3:26 am
Depends. When it's an obnoxiously boisterous reminder about just five days left till MegaTzedaka's MegaRaffle, no. When it's my young grandson saying I love you Grandma, talk to you later, I love it!

LovesHashem

Post Thu, Aug 31 2023, 3:30 am
I love them. I have friends who are also mom's and busy with kids and work and we never find a time to speak on the phone when we are both available.

We can send voice notes back and forth and respond when we have a moment. Its great.

amother
Alyssum

Post Thu, Aug 31 2023, 4:08 am
I hate phonecalls and voicenotes are too similar too phone calls, but worse.
Maybe if I start using them I will get used to it.
I don't mind receiving them, even long ones, I end up responding with a long text. I often use voice to text for a hands free option rather than voice notes but then I have to edit before I send.

Iymnok

Post Thu, Aug 31 2023, 4:34 am
amother Yellow wrote:
If anyone needs to hem and haw, they should pause their voice note until they think of the words they're looking for.

If you're listening to a vn of someone who hems and haws, listen at 2x speed.

This.
DH will leave 3-4 in a row. I like that because I can re listen to the part I need, instead of the whole thing.

amother
Wheat

Post Thu, Aug 31 2023, 4:37 am
Anyone else always speed them up or am I the only one?

Esp listening to one of my own..lol

juggling

Post Thu, Aug 31 2023, 5:55 am
DrMom wrote:
Arguments against voice messaging:

- I can check my whstsapps unobtrusively in a meeting by quickly glancing at my phone. I won't listen to a voice message in such a setting.

Arguments for:

- Helps if your hands are occupied (driving) or if you can't stop to type (if you are walking, for example)

- Handy for me if I am leaving a message in Hebrew, which I still speak much better than I spell Can't Believe It

Arguments against: they aren't searchable and it can be very challenging to find the voice note that has the information you're looking for. I don't think there is a way (yet) to label voice notes for future reference. If it's important info in a voice note, it should be followed by a text summary of the important points.

SwissAlps

Post Thu, Aug 31 2023, 6:32 am
I like them for sharing a long thought or story. I don't like them when they are multiple topics discussed or too long. By the time I finish the voice note I forget what the beginning is about.
Also, if this is the first time you are texting a person, please write your name first. Don't leave a voice note only and introduce yourself at the beginning. I am much more likely to listen to it if I know who sent it.

amother
Lotus

Post Thu, Aug 31 2023, 6:38 am
amother Fern wrote:
Depends. When it's an obnoxiously boisterous reminder about just five days left till MegaTzedaka's MegaRaffle, no. When it's my young grandson saying I love you Grandma, talk to you later, I love it!

Okay, yes, THIS I would agree is adorable and cannot be replicated through written text. Very Happy

amother
Lemonchiffon

Post Thu, Aug 31 2023, 6:42 am
amother Aqua wrote:
Hate hate hate receiving while at work or around other people.

Love ability to send while driving or something that needs more detail that doesn't make sense to text.

Still don't understand why they don't offer the option to translate voice note to text like when I receive voicemail to email and I can read the message (although admittingly sometimes obscured)

Agree with your entire post. I feel the same way about all of it.

amother
Grape

Post Thu, Aug 31 2023, 12:25 pm
I really hate voice notes. I have ADHD and I have a hard time paying attention to things that are auditory only. Seeing things in writing or listening to things while there is something to look at (like a video, slides, other visual info, or someone's face directed to me only in conversation (not like a class/lecture addressing the whole room with no visuals)) is easiest for me to pay attention to. Voice notes are also inconvenient because I can't listen to them when my kids are around because there is too much going on around me or I don't want it to disturb the baby etc. I can't just put the phone to my ear in the middle of work, just like I can't always answer the phone during work. I can quickly read a written message most of the time, but usually can't listen to a voice note.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette