Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads
Which flour for Challah?

smile

Post Wed, Jun 09 2010, 4:13 pm
Someone told me that she uses Plain-flour to bake Challah.
I always use only Strong- or Bread-flour and was always told to do so. I was wondering how many do or would use Plain-flour? And if yes do you add Backing-powder or anything when using it for Challah or bread?

nylon

Post Wed, Jun 09 2010, 4:23 pm
It depends on the country's flour. In the UK, the plain flour is too soft for challah; it's meant for cake. In the USA, some brands have enough protein. AIUI, in France, you use ordinary type 55 at home.

If the protein content is listed on the bag, that's all you need. It should be at least 11%, preferably more (11g protein for 100g of flour). I never add baking powder; that's for cakes.

smile

Post Wed, Jun 09 2010, 4:31 pm
I am in England. And my friend did tell me she uses the Plain-flour. Since I never ever heard of this before, I thought I would ask here.

Mrs Bissli

Post Wed, Jun 09 2010, 4:47 pm
I use strong or super strong flour for challah. It should have protein anywhere from mid-11 to 13%.
Your friend probably meant plain flour (the same as all-purpose flour in US) as opposed to self raising flour.

Self raising flour: soft (ie low protein) flour with baking powder added. good for cakes, pancakes etc
Plain flour: soft flour, no baking powder added. good for biscuits, dusting, batter, roux
Strong flour: as I said above, use for baking bread

What you need for bread is yeast, not baking powder/soda (unless you're making irish soda bread).
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads