Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Miscellaneous
Forging passports - slight spinoff

lech lecha08

Post Mon, Jun 28 2010, 3:14 am
Quote:

On her site it says that the passports were not issued with her permission.

This was mentioned on one of the threads about the kidnapping. I'm curious how forging a passport is possible. When I applied for passports for my kids and DH couldn't go with me, he had to give me a notarized consent form for me to apply for the passports. Actually, with DD2, the notary didn't do something right and they wouldn't process it until we resubmitted the form or DH appeared in person to give consent.

I'm American and DH is Canadian. One passport we got at the US consulate in Canada and one we did Tel Aviv. Are the laws different if you're both US citizens and applying within the country?

smilingmom

Post Mon, Jun 28 2010, 4:31 am
That is why I was very skeptical at first. In the US, it is extremely difficult to get a passport for a child. Forging someone's signature is not enough. A notary has to swear that they checked the person's ID.
If there is an allegation of fraud, the notary as well as the father would be under investigation.

Another reason I was skeptical is that none of the "Missing Children" Sites has taken on this cause, , which they usually do within 72 hours of receiving a valid claim.

But there is verification of a Rav, so I have to Dan the mother L'kaf zchus.

Mimisinger

Post Mon, Jun 28 2010, 4:34 am
When we needed to get passports, dh had to come with me.

lech lecha08

Post Mon, Jun 28 2010, 4:35 am
I obviously don't know all the deatils and am not judging the mother. I was just curious if the process was different if the parents were both US citizens. Each time, we applied from outside the country so maybe they thought it was more possible to sneak getting passports and bolting with the kids back to the US rather than if we actually lived in the US already or something. Plus the one time I took them alone from Canada to the States, I needed a notarized letter of permission from DH.

Mrs Bissli

Post Mon, Jun 28 2010, 4:41 am
Just to clarify... You mean forged signature to apply for a passport, which does not mean the same as a forged passport, right? I assume difficult, but not impossible, if someone forges both spouse's and notary's signatures. The regulation has a loophole to the two-parents-in-physical-presence rule.

smilingmom

Post Mon, Jun 28 2010, 4:57 am
Mrs Bissli wrote:
Just to clarify... You mean forged signature to apply for a passport, which does not mean the same as a forged passport, right? I assume difficult, but not impossible, if someone forges both spouse's and notary's signatures. The regulation has a loophole to the two-parents-in-physical-presence rule.

To forge a notary signature, you also need to forge a notary stamp and number. Not an easy task.
Also, passports are difficult to forge because of the scanning & detecting that occurs at the airport.

sarahd

Post Mon, Jun 28 2010, 5:02 am
I doubt those passports were forged. They were probably fraudulently obtained.

OOTBubby

Post Mon, Jun 28 2010, 7:39 am
smilingmom wrote:

To forge a notary signature, you also need to forge a notary stamp and number. Not an easy task.

Or to have a sympathetic friend who is a notary who will stamp it even knowing (and not caring) that the signature is forged.

Many, many people (in the US at least) are notaries.

Mommeeeeeeee!

Post Mon, Jun 28 2010, 7:57 am
I got a passport for a child without my dh being there. Can't remember if we needed a notarized letter or not - I don't think so, but it could be that I forgot since then. But if I had needed one, it wouldn't have been difficult, as it is very easy to get a notarized signature where I am - I have done it many times and they never asked to see ID or anything.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics