Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Help Wanted
Sub needed, great opportunity - please read details! (NY)

amother

Post Wed, Sep 29 2010, 9:18 am
Please take a moment to read, even if this is not for you, maybe you know someone. It would be a two-way chesed, I'd get my sub and they'd get a nice job!

A substitute teacher for a resource room is needed beginning immediately after yomtov and going for the next 2-3 months (it's a maternity leave starting early, how long it lasts depends when the baby shows up.) So potentially until the end of December.

- The individual must be certified to teach in New York State with certification in special education, students with disabilities, or reading and literacy (though the job will involve teaching math as well; those are the regulations).
- Hours are Monday - Thursday, 12:30 - 5:20 PM.
- Location is lower Manhattan (short train ride from BP, only a bit farther from Flatbush)
- The job consists of working with individuals, pairs, and triads of elementary yeshiva students for one period at a time, pulling them from their general education classrooms and providing extra instruction in general skills (reading, organization) as well as keeping them up to the content of their classes.
- The students range from grades 3-7; if your certification only covers some of those grade levels it should be OK (e.g. if you have 1-6 or 5-9)

The pay is very worthwhile. It goes by the hour and is commensurate with expertise but even the base pay is very good.
The regular teacher (the one on leave) would work together with the sub as needed/wanted to help decide on strategies, prepare materials, communicate with teachers and parents, etc. So this is a perfect opportunity for someone who is looking to get started in this kind of work but would appreciate some support and mentoring at the beginning.
Since it is divided into periods, the job could potentially be split among two different teachers - say, if one already has a job for earlier in the day and another wants to be home before her kids get home from school. This is perfect for someone who is between jobs, or for someone who is not really looking for full time work (stay at home mom, in school, or whatever) but might want a couple of months' worth of spare gelt.

As a bonus, I don't know how the scheduling would work out, but there is some possibility of being able to keep a couple of the cases for the whole year if you'd want. Not promising that though, it depends on how a number of factors play out. Just saying that if you do this and the school likes you, there's potential if you're interested in longer-term employment because they do need to expand the staff a bit.

Please email knaidel at gmail dot com regarding any interest or inquiries. I hope I've provided enough details to get you thinking! Please be prepared to provide references if you are interested in the position.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics