Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions
Bracelet rubberbands in shapes

Simcha100

Post Wed, Oct 13 2010, 6:44 am
The new thing that kids around here have gotten into. I live in Israel. I assume they are sold in the States as well. They come in all kinds of shapes and colors. I have boys and my husband is convinced that they are not allowed halachically to wear them. Bracelet is beged isha. My second grader and 5 yr. old have been playing with them. He looked up sources on the internet and got different rabbinical answers basically all saying no.
At first I didn't think it was a big deal- just a toy they are playing with, a phase, but he seems to have made a good point. Just wondering what you all think.

momaleh

Post Wed, Oct 13 2010, 7:03 am
Silly Bandz! Everyone in the US wear them.

Ima2NYM_LTR

Post Wed, Oct 13 2010, 7:34 am
Silly Banz are marketed to both boys and girls. There is nothing inherently 'girly' about a rubber band around the wrist-which is essentially what it is.

I happen to hate them because they are a chocking hazard for my baby, they are a stupid fad and you pay $3-$4 for a package of rubber that costs cents to make

Grandmama

Post Wed, Oct 13 2010, 8:38 am
The market is so glutted with them. By now I have seen them all over the place, in almost every store, with some stores selling them for as low as .99 but still being way overpriced for the junk that it is.
Like every fad, think= mood rings, smiley face, bean bags; this too shall pass.

Ima2NYM_LTR

Post Wed, Oct 13 2010, 9:10 am
can it pass soon, please?

I swore (well not really) that Id never get them for my son, just on principal.

But then his speech therapist started giving them out as a job well done. Then friends shared with him. Then I had a $9.50 purchase and a $10.00 coupon and, well the silly banz were right there. They someone gave us some that she had leftover from a promotion. Then.....

Mimisinger

Post Wed, Oct 13 2010, 11:00 am
Simcha100 wrote:
The new thing that kids around here have gotten into. I live in Israel. I assume they are sold in the States as well. They come in all kinds of shapes and colors. I have boys and my husband is convinced that they are not allowed halachically to wear them. Bracelet is beged isha. My second grader and 5 yr. old have been playing with them. He looked up sources on the internet and got different rabbinical answers basically all saying no.
At first I didn't think it was a big deal- just a toy they are playing with, a phase, but he seems to have made a good point. Just wondering what you all think.

I started this exact thread a few months ago. Everyone responded that they don't think they're a prob. My dh still does.

watergirl

Post Wed, Oct 13 2010, 11:08 am
my Rav and DH both say that its easy to issur something, its a bit harder to see how it might be ok. For this type of fad, only little kids are wearing them, it pitters out by the time it becomes as issue IMO. Theres so many pop culture things our kids cant participate in, why take this away?

zigi

Post Wed, Oct 13 2010, 11:19 am
I don't mind them dd loves them, ds trades his, I like the fact that they are cheap and that I can use them as rewards, dd plays with the shapes

Ema of 5

Post Wed, Oct 13 2010, 11:24 am
they make jewish ones too- torah, luchos, that kind of stuff.
I personally have never seen them sold, but my nieces showed them to me

reed

Post Wed, Oct 13 2010, 12:06 pm
akivachaya wrote:
they make jewish ones too- torah, luchos, that kind of stuff.
I personally have never seen them sold, but my nieces showed them to me

Amazing Savings has them near the registers. The Jewish Holiday shapes were great incentives over Yom Tov!

small bean

Post Wed, Oct 13 2010, 12:17 pm
the bracelets are sort of going out already as were upto rings and necklaces.

Simcha100

Post Wed, Oct 13 2010, 2:33 pm
Thanks everyone for all the replies. As I said I also think why not just let them, but I have to say that I understand what dh is saying when he says- every time it is peer pressure to follow and do what everyone else does and as they get older, it is peer pressure for bigger things and if they learn now then it'll be easier then. However, that is the case if there is really something wrong with boys wearing them- and what age boys- mine is in second but I don't know maybe older boys have them as well. They have not been around here for a s long as in America, I don'[t think. small bean commented moving on to rings and necklaces. Just a toy on one hand but it really is so girly... I am going to discuss it with a Rav...

freidasima

Post Wed, Oct 13 2010, 2:36 pm
so wait, it was only my kids who used them as slingshots when they came out?

overworked

Post Wed, Oct 13 2010, 4:22 pm
as a store owner I suggested for the moms of boys to buy a keyring/keychain & let them hang it on there pants so they can also make use of this fad

Tefila

Post Wed, Oct 13 2010, 5:04 pm
B'h
Here it's the craze too.
1. It's called silly bandz quite appropriate imho.
2. They are specifically made for boys too by any definition those are not ornaments
I let my boy of 6 have them too. He has sport ones car ones the only thing I will not let him have are the guns and my daughters I wont let them have the fairy or princesses.(this is a personal hashkafic view of mine)

Do remember if you want to point out halacha it would only apply from Bar Mitzvah ,whilst for chinuch we do earlier, however to reiterate they are not bracelets!

Also Walmart in Canada sells 24 for a dollar.
Freidaima my children would not dare to use their prize possessions for anything else. If one silly bandz break they are in tears.

Simcha100

Post Mon, Oct 18 2010, 4:28 am
The Rav of the school(for boys) my 7 yr. old goes to said that they can play with it but they can not wear it in school. Outside of school they should do what their parents allow. For those of you who are familiar with schools in Israel it is Barkai- in the Shomron
The key chain/ key ring is a good idea.

Mrs Bissli

Post Mon, Oct 18 2010, 7:15 am
Silly Bandz fever crossed the Atlantic a few months ago... Now it's banned in the kids school. Sounds like both boys and girls are busy trading them during the break.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions