Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Dairy & Pareve Meals
Lasagna

Fabulous

Post Sun, Oct 24 2010, 2:46 pm
I don't like cottage cheese and I looked on the back of the noodle box (oven ready). It calls for a mix of cottage cheese, regular cheese, an egg, and spinach. Can I do that and just omit the cottage cheese?

DefyGravity

Post Sun, Oct 24 2010, 2:48 pm
You can do whatever you want.

mha3484

Post Sun, Oct 24 2010, 2:50 pm
I don't like cottage cheese either so I use Ricotta when I make lasagna or stuffed shells. Its similar but not exactly the same. I have also found that when I have had CC in stuff I don't seem to notice it.

Fabulous

Post Sun, Oct 24 2010, 2:54 pm
DefyGravity wrote:
You can do whatever you want.

Thank you. I realize that. What I wanted to know is if it would taste good because I have never made lasagna before. I don't like ricotta either.

DefyGravity

Post Sun, Oct 24 2010, 2:56 pm
It'll taste like pasta with spinach, tomato sauce, and cheese. IMO, that will taste fine. I know many people that don't like cottage cheese or ricotta and omit it when they make lasagna. You can also use crumbled tofu as a replacement for cottage cheese.

Rodent

Post Sun, Oct 24 2010, 2:58 pm
I hate cottage cheese and don't have access to ricotta (unfortunately). I needed to use up some cream cheese one day and risked putting it in the lasagne I was making. It's actually really good, we don't make it without now Wink

Fabulous

Post Sun, Oct 24 2010, 3:03 pm
Thanks ladies. I guess I wasn't clear, I don't like any cheeses except types that melt really well like american, mozzarella, muenster etc... Thanks defy, I figured but I just wanted to know if anyone every made lasagna with just "melty" cheese.

mamaleh

Post Sun, Oct 24 2010, 3:31 pm
I've done it. Just noodles, marinara and shredded cheese. It's really fine & good. Now I mix the cottage in to the marinara (I'm also not a fan of baked , non melting cheeses), it seems to work very well, although I think if I blended it first (like with an imersion blender) it would be even better (though when I use the "blended " cottage cheese, that really isn't neccesary). It does make the lasagna moister, but if you are adding veggies it's totally not needed.

Fabulous

Post Sun, Oct 24 2010, 5:42 pm
I added spinach and it was YUM!! Uberfattening but yum! It's huge and tons of leftover. Can I freeze it? How? Thanks!

Fabulous

Post Sun, Oct 24 2010, 6:42 pm
Never mind. I gave it to my parents.

yo'ma

Post Fri, Nov 12 2010, 12:38 pm
Rodent wrote:
I hate cottage cheese and don't have access to ricotta (unfortunately). I needed to use up some cream cheese one day and risked putting it in the lasagne I was making. It's actually really good, we don't make it without now Wink

I like cottage cheese, but we don't have access to it. Ricotta we can get, but we can't rely on anyone having it.

KosherCook

Post Sat, Nov 13 2010, 8:38 am
I don't use cottage cheese, cream cheese or ricotta. In addition to tomato sauce/cheese etc I use a layer of white sauce/bechamel sauce.
Elana

chocolate moose

Post Sat, Nov 13 2010, 3:55 pm
ds doesn't like cottage cheese but can't discern its taste in lasagne.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Dairy & Pareve Meals