Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Salads & Dips
My First try at Chilbeh.. something missing

Ilovehashem26

Post Fri, Dec 17 2010, 12:49 pm
I tried chilbeh because Ihad the seeds in my house. I soaked it and changed the water a few times, stuck it in my blender, processed, added garlic, lemon and salt. it tastes like its missing someting. I think it could use cilantro. any suggestions?

Tamiri

Post Sat, Dec 18 2010, 12:04 pm
Ilovehashem26 wrote:
I tried chilbeh because Ihad the seeds in my house. I soaked it and changed the water a few times, stuck it in my blender, processed, added garlic, lemon and salt. it tastes like its missing someting. I think it could use cilantro. any suggestions?
I recently tried making Hilbeh again, after many many years of not trying because of failure. I changed the water only once, and that was fine. Added a ton of cilantro, lots of fresh garlic, salt, lemon juice and a bit of ground cloves and cumin, to get the schug flavor, but without the schug. I read that to get it frothy, you add a leek but I haven't tried that yet. Maybe next time. The schug was delicious. My neighbor took a container and my co worker begged me for more. Yum! Also, you can make it and freeze!
BTW I used the whole seeds, not broken ones and not powder.

ray family

Post Sat, Dec 18 2010, 2:17 pm
I use schug

Ani

Post Sat, Dec 18 2010, 2:33 pm
Yes, do try adding cilantro. To the ingredients you used (soaked seeds, garlic, freshly squeezed lemon and salt) I also add either parsley or cilantro. I soak overnight (never heard of changing the water before, maybe I should do), then grind it all together, adding tons of water for it to froth well – it always does. We love it! Doesn’t seem to miss anything. We also freeze a lot and have it almost everyday.

Seraph

Post Sat, Dec 18 2010, 4:50 pm
Add salt. Not putting enough salt in it definitely makes it missing something. Most times it seemed like something was missing, it usually was salt. Or not enough lemon. Or not enough garlic.
I usually don't put cilantro or parsley in mine, though thats the typical addition. I sometimes stick a tomato in mine. It tastes delish.

Mrs Bissli

Post Sat, Dec 18 2010, 4:57 pm
I also do not change water, just use the seeds soaked overnight. I definitely add garlic, salt, cilantro, ginger roots, loads of lemon juice. Ginger roots definitely makes difference, admittedly that's more of baghdadi recipe. I usually leave zchug on the side so that people can add as much or as little as they wish. To get it frothy, you try to incorporate more water after whizzing.

Bliss

Post Sun, Dec 19 2010, 3:50 pm
My mother used to just powder the seeds in a grinder and add it to a cup of juice.

Ilovehashem26

Post Tue, Jan 04 2011, 8:37 am
I ended up making the chilbeh and it looked fine, I added enough salt lemon cilantro garlic etc... I think it tasted perfect except it was too bitter. what did I do wrong? I soaked it and changed the water before hand..

Mrs Bissli

Post Tue, Jan 04 2011, 11:46 am
Elementary, Mr Watson. You used too much fenugreek seeds relative to other ingredients.

Tamiri

Post Tue, Jan 04 2011, 11:59 am
I think that some batches are more bitter than others. I like mine a little bit bitter. Are you using plenty of water to soak them? Are you soaking for at least a day or two? When I first learned how to make it from our Yemenite metapelet, I think she said something about soaking them for three days and changing the water. I soak from Wed night till Thurs night or Friday.

Laughing Bag!

Post Tue, Jan 04 2011, 12:13 pm
hey this is so interesting I never knew I could make anything with the chilbe I always swallow it whole imgonna try it now thisway. m so excited cuz I know how healthy it is and it helps boost the milk supply too so if I can have it as a food its great!
thanks
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics