Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads
WW Challah with Sugar Alternative? (I.e Splenda)

sunshine!

Post Thu, Jan 13 2011, 10:10 am
Anyone have a recipe for WW challah with splenda that they found to work? Please post!

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Jan 13 2011, 10:35 am
Splenda isn't heat stable. What about honey ?

sunshine!

Post Thu, Jan 13 2011, 10:52 am
I am off all sugar including honey

Mommy3.5

Post Thu, Jan 13 2011, 11:43 am
Yeast can only be activated with sugar, you will need at least a little bit to proof the yeast. I would just skip the sugar, minus what you need for proofing. Splenda has an awful taste in just about everything.

ra_mom

Post Thu, Jan 13 2011, 11:46 am
From Splenda's website

Quote:
Guidelines for using SPLENDA® No Calorie Sweetener, Granulated, instead of sugar in your own recipes

Volume/Height You may notice a smaller yield when substituting SPLENDA® Granulated Sweetener for sugar. In some cases, cakes and quick breads will not rise as high as their full-sugar counterparts, but they will still taste delicious!

To achieve a better rise:Switch from 9" round pans to 8" round pans with 2" sides. Also, try adding 1/2 cup nonfat dry milk powder and 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda for every 1 cup of SPLENDA® Granulated Sweetener you use.

Flavor For quick breads and muffins, add one or two tablespoons of honey or molasses to boost flavor and provide some moistness.

Yeast Activation SPLENDA® Granulated Sweetener will not activate yeast. You should maintain at least two teaspoons of sugar in recipes calling for yeast and replace the remaining sugar with SPLENDA® Granulated Sweetener.

Bake Times Your baked goods made with SPLENDA® Granulated Sweetener may bake more quickly than those made with sugar.
Cookies, brownies and quick breads: Check 3-5 minutes before the original recipe's expected bake time.

Storage Sugar acts as a preservative, helps retain moisture and keeps baked-goods fresher longer.
All fresh baked goods are best eaten within 24 hours. If you want to keep your baked goods made with SPLENDA® Granulated Sweetener longer, wrap well and freeze.

Don't forget – you need only half as much SPLENDA® Sugar Blend as the amount of sugar called for in your recipe since only 1/2 cup is needed to replace 1 cup of regular sugar.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads