Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Spagetti and Ketchup
1  2  3  Next

Chava Golar

Post Thu, Jan 13 2011, 3:41 pm
My non-jewish supervisor just told me that she never heard of spagetti and ketchup before. Is it just me or is this a really popular food amonst the Jewish community? I thought it was a given that spagetti goes with ketchup. (Btw, she also never heard of cream cheese sandwhiches... or fish and mayonaise/hosradish)

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Jan 13 2011, 3:44 pm
Perhaps her world is just small.

cookielady

Post Thu, Jan 13 2011, 3:47 pm
I've never viewed spaghetti and ketchup as a popular Jewish food. It's not what I want to feed my family, it's having nothing nutritious to it. One. Of my kids likes to put ketchup on her food. I think it's her thing not inspired by popular Jewish eating.

If you were talking sushi.....

chica

Post Thu, Jan 13 2011, 3:49 pm
I never heard of ketchup and spagetti... let alone that it's a "Jewish food".... maybe I'm just out of the loop!

CatLady

Post Thu, Jan 13 2011, 3:56 pm
Spaghetti and ketchup was something I saw for the first time on an episode of My Name Is Earl. It was played strictly for laughs, and not as a shining example of Bubby's home cooking. (However, my step-grandmother OBM was a wretched cook, so this would have been a step up.)

Ruchel

Post Thu, Jan 13 2011, 4:06 pm
To me it's a bit gross and low class a dish.
Pasta goes with tomato sauce (or non tomato, or butter, or plain) but never with ketchup. The tastes just conflict. My dh is Italian and can't believe some would use ketchup instead of tomato sauce!!
Ketchup is for French fries, though they can also go with TS!

amother

Post Thu, Jan 13 2011, 4:11 pm
I wouldn't serve it but my ds LOVES it. He only eats pasta with it. I think of it as a kids food...

saw50st8

Post Thu, Jan 13 2011, 4:14 pm
Ruchel wrote:
Pasta goes with tomato sauce (or non tomato, or butter, or plain) but never with ketchup. The tastes just conflict. My dh is Italian and can't believe some would use ketchup instead of tomato sauce!!

The only way I eat spaghetti with ketchup is with cottage cheese mixed in. I find the saltiness balances the sweetness of the ketchup.

That being said, I do associate this as a low class dish.

mummiedearest

Post Thu, Jan 13 2011, 4:20 pm
spaghetti and ketchup is not a dish. just like hot dogs and ketchup is not a dish. you don't serve it combined, you offer the option of combining it yourself.

I used to eat it, but I was one of those kids who put ketchup on everything.

I believe ketchup was originally meant to go with fish, btw.

Inspired

Post Thu, Jan 13 2011, 4:20 pm
Yes, spagetti and ketchup is a purely heimish combination. I have never heard of it outside the frum world. No "non jews" or jews with no frum background that I know have ever eaten it or even heard of eating it. Pretty much the same goes for spagetti and cottage cheese but maybe slightly less, that I am not totally sure about.

ra_mom

Post Thu, Jan 13 2011, 4:21 pm
The only people I know who eat pasta with ketchup... are kids!

octopus

Post Thu, Jan 13 2011, 4:24 pm
yuck. spaghetti and ketchup. blech.

spaghetti goes with tomato sauce. I only use ketchup for french fries.

Inspired

Post Thu, Jan 13 2011, 4:26 pm
ra_mom wrote:

Only FFB kids.

mummiedearest

Post Thu, Jan 13 2011, 4:28 pm
Inspired wrote:
ra_mom wrote:

Only FFB kids.

not true. have you never read those articles in various parents' magazines which speak of the smother-everything-in-ketchup syndrome? I can assure you, this is an american kid thing. it's not specific to one group.

lamplighter

Post Thu, Jan 13 2011, 4:35 pm
I love spaghetti and ketchup! I must have juvenile Jewish taste buds Smile

Inspired

Post Thu, Jan 13 2011, 4:39 pm
Again, in my whole life with mainy not frum/ not jewish/ converts and bts everyone I know except certain types of ffbs looks at you cross eyed when you say "spagetti and ketchup" like its something normal, similar to saying "mac and cheese". The first time I ever saw it/ heard of it was at a lubavitch friend of mine's house as a teenager and she looked at me like I was from mars for never having heard of it. non jews do not eat spagetti and ketchup.
Smothering in ketchup is for all finger foods, protein and the like. The first time I ever had steak the relative who served it to me was horrified that I asked for ketchup to go with it. Not because steak and ketchup is unheard of. It is just not classy.

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Jan 13 2011, 4:42 pm
Ketchup is just over-sweet tomato sauce. What's the big deal ?

obagys

Post Thu, Jan 13 2011, 4:50 pm
I would consider that kid food, and not specific to Jewish kids, either.
OP, she never heard of cream cheese sandwiches? Even the local Dunkin Donuts sells that! lol

cookielady

Post Thu, Jan 13 2011, 6:26 pm
As a kid, there was a girl in my class who ate everything with ketchup. I remember telling my mother the girl was weird because of it. My mother said "don't make fun of her, that's just what poor people do."

I mentioned it recently to my mother, she tries to deny she said it. I remember it like yesterday.

MiracleMama

Post Thu, Jan 13 2011, 6:33 pm
saw50st8 wrote:
Ruchel wrote:

The only way I eat spaghetti with ketchup is with cottage cheese mixed in. I find the saltiness balances the sweetness of the ketchup.

That being said, I do associate this as a low class dish.

My mother used to eat spaghetti that way. Maybe she still does. Nobody else in our family ever joined her on that dish.

I do know a small handful of jewish people who admit to eating spaghetti and ketchup. Not nearly enough that I'd call it a popular Jewish dish.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen