Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Should I be concerned?

amother

Post Mon, Mar 28 2011, 12:31 pm
My 18 month old only says like 3-4 words. She babbles a lot and she understands things but she doesn't say much. Should I be taking her to get evaluated or am I just an overly concerned first time mom?

Fabulous

Post Mon, Mar 28 2011, 12:34 pm
If she understands and babbles, she should be fine and will probably not be given services. That being said, if you are very nervous, it doesn't hurt to have a professional tell you that with an evaluation. It's normal till age 2 and you still have 6 months till then, when a lot can change in that time.

the world's best mom

Post Mon, Mar 28 2011, 12:53 pm
I was just discussing this with ds's speech therapist this morning. We both agreed that as long as a baby understands spoken language and babbles, using a variety of sounds, then the best thing to do is to keep an eye on the kid and get help if more delays begin to show up.

Insomniac

Post Thu, Apr 07 2011, 5:32 pm
This is my son... I actually took him to an ENT only because we just discovered that his older brother needs tubes (and probably needed them for years...) so we wanted to be ahead of the game. The doc did see excessive wax which he cleared out and suggested we get his hearing tested since he did see fluid. He didn't seem overly concerned and was doing it more for us, than him I think. But like your daughter, he understands EVERYTHING so we are not overly concerned. I think you just have to see if she is adding more words to her vocabulary every so often. Its a good idea to say the word over and over again so she gets it...like "water, do you want water? water...wa-Ter..." that type of stuff.
Behatzlacha!! Once they start talking.....it will be a whole new challenge. The "why?" stage is always fun. Smile

drumjj

Post Fri, Apr 08 2011, 3:06 am
my daughter had tubes put in at 18 months, till then she never said a word, she couldnt hear more than 50% I think. now she is 2 and 1 month and her speech has come on so much. I wouldnt worry at 18 months. especially if they show understanding of everything that you say.

chanee

Post Fri, Apr 08 2011, 4:14 am
With my 23 month old I have now the same. I constantly talk to here. she is definitly much better but still with all those pesach songs and all that goes with it she finally catched up the word "kadiesh". I still can`t decide if I should go for help or wait till when she`ll start school and see then what happens. but she`s absolutely much better than at 18 months when she understood but didn`t answer what she wanted

BeershevaBubby

Post Fri, Apr 08 2011, 4:37 am
My youngest just turned two and has a few sounds for specific things, babbles, understands everything KA'H, but doesn't have any real words.

The daycare workers all told me not to worry yet, he's still a baby LOL.

If by September he's not saying real words, I think I'll push for an evaluation... I don't want to get burned like I did with my older son who really was delayed.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics