Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Low muscle tone

amother

Post Wed, Apr 06 2011, 9:31 am
my 7 month old baby is not able to bear much weight on her legs. My pediatrician said her muscle tone is slightly lower than he would like it to be. She crawls around very nicely and almost sits up. I didnt buy her a jumperoo or exersaucer as I heard mixed reviews about it but he suggested I try it. Anyone have any experience with low muscle tone? Can a jumperoo or exersaucer help? Anything else I can do to help her?

Thanks

flowerpower

Post Wed, Apr 06 2011, 9:42 am
Exersaucer not but the jumperoo is great. All pt's reccomend it. It really can help.

amother

Post Wed, Apr 06 2011, 9:43 am
thanks! I just ordered one a few minutes ago. I hope its not too late to improve her muscle tone!!

the world's best mom

Post Wed, Apr 06 2011, 9:45 am
My kids' PT hates excersaucers. The baby doesn't have to support herself in there, so it only makes matters worse. I'm not sure about a jumperoo though.

If your baby is crawling properly at 7 months old, I really wouldn't worry. When I had ds evaluated for PT at 7 months old, he crawled across the room and the PT laughed and asked why on earth I was getting him evaluated. (He had slightly high muscle tone, but did not get PT.)

amother

Post Wed, Apr 06 2011, 9:48 am
OP here: my baby crawls all over very nicely. This is my first and therefore I feel guilty that perhaps if I had bought the jumperoo, her tone would be better.

the world's best mom

Post Wed, Apr 06 2011, 9:50 am
Don't be silly. Most kids never have a jumperoo and they turn out okay. She will probably be just fine.

amother

Post Wed, Apr 06 2011, 9:51 am
thanks! I hope so Smile

Liba

Post Wed, Apr 06 2011, 9:55 am
Smile A six month old who is crawling is B"H doing well IMO. I don't think you have anything to feel guilty about.

One of my low tone children was in PT from 3 weeks and didn't even roll over or pick up their heads while on their belly until they were 10 months old.

It sounds like your baby is a curios and busy one to be crawling. Smile

amother

Post Wed, Apr 06 2011, 9:57 am
Thanks Liba! My doctor said hes not VERY concerned but he would like to see her balance better on her legs in an upright position.

shobee

Post Wed, Apr 06 2011, 10:00 am
I'm a PT who does not work with kids rather with Geriatrics but I have a few comments. Firstly, if I'm not mistaken 7 months is not considered late for sitting up independently and early for crawling at that age. Generally the way pt's evaluate is firstly based on the the child reaches his/her developmental milestones. If there is a delay, the therapist will evaluate to check why. Low muscle tone can sometimes be a reason for that. not every child with low muscle tone will have weak muscles though and that doesn't always translate into a developmental delay. If your Doc is concerned he should give you a referral to a developmental PT as that is their area of expertise. About the exersaucer- it actually is not great at all in terms of healthy muscle development as the harness allows the child to strengthen his legs w/o strengthening his core. It's better for him to crawl and try to stand up on his own. Generally the Pt will give you a few simple exercises to target what he needs to practice with him for a few minutes each day. Good luck!

amother

Post Wed, Apr 06 2011, 10:03 am
Thanks shobee. My doc said no need to go to PT but Im worried nonetheless as this is my first child and I just want to do everything right for her! He said he will check on her again at her next visit. I hope her tone improves!! Do you think a fisher price jumperoo will help?

shobee

Post Wed, Apr 06 2011, 10:05 am
Sorry I forgot the main point I wanted to make. We can't affect muscle tone. The child's born with his natural tone and that doesnt change. What can be changed is strengthening weak muscles, learning more effective movement patterns etc if there was a delay. So even if you had bought the jumperoo the child would still have low muscle tone. I live in Israel and I'm not familiar with the jumperoo but can look into it. Good luck!

Liba

Post Wed, Apr 06 2011, 10:10 am
Shobee said exactly what I came back to type. Smile

http://www.livingwithcerebralp.....l.php

If you read towards the bottom of this page they explain fully the difference between muscle tone and strength. Don't get stuck on the rest though. They are not likely talking about a 7 month old crawling baby when they discuss diagnosis and causes.

Last edited by Liba on Wed, Apr 06 2011, 10:11 am; edited 1 time in total

amother

Post Wed, Apr 06 2011, 10:11 am
I'm an OT and I have never recommended that parents buy any equipment for their low tone kids Smile

The number one thing any parent can do to help a child develop is get on the floor and play! Encourage them to use their muscles by motivating them with favorite toys and silly play.

amother

Post Wed, Apr 06 2011, 10:48 am
thanks so much everyone! she spends most of her time crawling and playing with her toys either sitting up or on her tummy. any specific things I can do with her to strengthen her tone? I want to do my best for her

shobee

Post Wed, Apr 06 2011, 10:49 am
http://imamother.com/forum/vie.....73529 this thread might be helpful as well

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Apr 06 2011, 11:02 am
amother wrote:
I hope its not too late to improve her muscle tone!!

It's never too late and I'm a prime example. I'm lo-tone. I spent my formative years skinny and weak, being chosen last for teams. Not being allowed to dance ballet en pointe.

Now I'm in the gym 6 days a week. I have nice muscle tone. I can carry my bags home from the store, help my mom with heavy yard work, etc.

No, I won't be an Olympic athlete, and your child may not either. But I have quality of life, and I worked hard for it.

amother

Post Wed, Apr 06 2011, 11:08 am
amother wrote:
thanks so much everyone! she spends most of her time crawling and playing with her toys either sitting up or on her tummy. any specific things I can do with her to strengthen her tone? I want to do my best for her

OT above you. If you would like to strengthen leg muscles, you can motivate her to stand on your lap or on the floor by making silly faces/noises to distract her while she's standing, or holding a fun toy up there so she can only reach it by standing.

amother

Post Wed, Apr 06 2011, 1:17 pm
thank you!!!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics