Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping -> Strollers
Single Stroller that converts to a double

amother

Post Wed, Apr 27 2011, 10:42 am
Which would you recommend? Do they all have one seat much lower down? Is that uncomfortable for the child?

What makes more sense, practically and financially, to buy for two children close in age - a single and a double or a single that will convert to a double ?

amother

Post Wed, Apr 27 2011, 12:36 pm
Bugaboo Donkey

amother

Post Wed, Apr 27 2011, 12:40 pm
I have an UppaBaby Vista that I love - It comes as a single and then you can buy a seat which you attach to the stroller when you need to make it a double.

I would think out of practicality it would be worth it to buy a single that converts to a double so that you don't have to find space in your home to store both.

I also hear that people really like the Baby Jogger City Select Double Stroller which can also be used as a single stroller or a double one.

sky

Post Wed, Apr 27 2011, 12:46 pm
I have the Phil and Ted and love it and it seems to be one of the cheaper convertable carriages. (It pays to call stores in Lakewood, they were significantly cheaper then anywhere online including ebay)
But I think the Phil and Ted is the lowest seat of all the choices, it doesn't bother my kids. My 3 year old (36 lbs) went in the bottom seat by choice over yom tov. And my baby 16 months loves it. I have had mine over 3 years and it does show some wear and is faded.

Besides for the fact that the convertable strollers give you more options, most are tandem which I really like because it allows the strollers to fit in much tigher spaces.

There are other choices:
Britax-B - Amazon was having an amazing sale on that. Babies can recline in both positions with sun covers.
City Mini Select - Looks great but I've heard it is heavy.
Uppa Baby - baby doesn't sit so low.
Bugaboo Donkey - expensive, not tandem but side by side, I think the only one like that.
valco with an attached front seat. (I'm not sure how that would work for 2 kids close in age)

goforit

Post Wed, Apr 27 2011, 1:50 pm
its great to have one stroller if you go out you don't need to plan which stroller to take and your plans can be more flexable. like go pick uo toddler from play group with out thinking about it before. another thing these "double" strollers are usally good heavy ones if you need to go steps or in and out of car you should think about it. maybe a light double and good single is better if that's the case. I had the phil and ted but now there are better modeld. I loved the phil and ted besides the way the toddler covers the baby that needs to lie flat. good luck

spring13

Post Thu, Apr 28 2011, 1:02 am
From what I've seen, if you really want the option of adding a second seat, get stroller that was really designed for the purpose (like Phil and Teds, Baby Jogger City Select, Britax B-Ready), and not one that you can just add a "rumble seat" (like Uppababy Vista, Valco Trimode, Baby Jogger City Elite). Then you'll have a proper second seat instead of one that is liable to tip the stroller over, or be really uncomfortable or unadjustable. And please don't waste your money on a Bugaboo Donkey, unless you really like it when everyone around you is pointing and commenting on how much money you blew on your baby gear.

Which one you get depends on your taste, I think. I like the sporty, compact design of most Phil and Teds strollers, but lots of people like the luxury look, adjustability, and big basket you get with a City Select - although it ends up being bulkier and harder to maneuver. The B-Ready is probably somewhere between those two, and may be the most versatile.

amother

Post Thu, Apr 28 2011, 9:41 am
What's the fold like on the Phil and Ted and the Britax? Can it be folded with the second seat in? How cumbersome is it to go in and out of a car?

sky

Post Thu, Apr 28 2011, 10:18 am
amother wrote:
What's the fold like on the Phil and Ted and the Britax? Can it be folded with the second seat in? How cumbersome is it to go in and out of a car?

I have the Phil and Ted Sport. It does not fold with the second seat once you use it in the toddler mode . It requires 2 hands to fold. It is slightly cumbersome to get in and out of the car. But folds very compact for a double. I would not buy it as a car carriage.

The Vibe folds with the seat but is supposedly diffucult to fold and is large and more cumbersome then the sport (I think the sport is now either the explorer or the classic)

Phil and Ted now makes a verve that folds with the seat and is not as large as the Vibe. It is also a 4 tire carriage instead of a 3.

The Britax does fold with the seat.

spring13

Post Thu, Apr 28 2011, 8:11 pm
amother wrote:

check out the BabyGizmo videos - she's pretty thorough.

Britax: http://babygizmo.com/media/vid.....e.php

P&T Explorer: http://babygizmo.com/media/vid.....r.php

P&T Smart: http://babygizmo.com/media/vid.....t.php

P&T Verve: http://babygizmo.com/media/vid.....e.php

cheerio

Post Thu, Apr 28 2011, 9:31 pm
LOVE THE BRITAX!!! and its on sale so get it now before june Smile

folds well with the second seat. VERY easy to take the bottom seat on and off when you have only one kid with you. it is a full sized stroller so not the lightest but lighter than many. not hard to take in and out of car. (had a graco quattro duo tour before and that is VERY heavy)

highly highly recommend it. feel free to ask me Q about it. watch the video on baby gizmo basically tells you everything you want to know. good luck!

sugarplum

Post Thu, Apr 28 2011, 9:41 pm
I have the city select as a single. It converts to a double and both children can sit and see. I can go in lots of different ways. people eem really happy with it the one downside is that it isn't a light stroller.

D you already have a single? think a single that converts is better practically and fincially. takes up less space too.

dlj

Post Sun, May 01 2011, 1:07 pm
There was a thread a while ago which might be useful for you to look at....
http://www.imamother.com/forum.....35826
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics