Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Piercing babys ears
1  2  Next

amother

Post Mon, Jan 22 2007, 9:39 pm
My DD is 5 mo old. I recently had her ears pierced. I feel like I have made a huge mistake. I should have waited until she was older.
I can still take them out and they would heal up quickly.
any opinions on whether I should take them out or leave them in?

happymom

Post Mon, Jan 22 2007, 9:42 pm
u should leave them in. why would u want her to go throught that pain again??? once u did it already, why does it hurt to leave them in?

amother

Post Mon, Jan 22 2007, 9:49 pm
I am afraid they are not in the proper place. One looks a little too high and the other looks a little too low.
one ear is also getting a little infected.
I'm just so nervous that when her ears grow the holes will be in the wrong place

mumoo

Post Mon, Jan 22 2007, 10:54 pm
If you are uncomfortable, take them out. When a girls wants them at a later age, the pain is inconsequential to them.

I personally didn't pierce my dds' ears because I happen to know several women who never had them done and I realized everybody does not necessarily want pierced ears.

I have let 2 daughter's so far, it's like a rite of passage; when I feel they are old enough to take care of their ears themselves, I let.

It's an exciting day. We go to the mall, choose earrings, I videotape it, then we go for ice cream and home to show Totty.

happymom

Post Mon, Jan 22 2007, 11:20 pm
I dont believe in piercing babies ears so when anyone asks me when ill pierce my daughters I always say, when she asks me. WELL, little did I know that shed ask me when she was one and a half! Lol, since shes been 20 months (shes almost 2) shes been saying mommy I want earings!!!! LOL..... I told her she can have when she gets a little older...Smile

I actually want to get her stick on earings... does anyone know where I can buy those?

mumoo

Post Mon, Jan 22 2007, 11:28 pm
before amazing saving closed here, that's where I'd go. Maybe Claire's?
We have US toys (like Oriental Trading Co) they have them in bulk

GAMZu

Post Mon, Jan 22 2007, 11:45 pm
One of my sons grabs his baby brother's ears, twists and pulls them and says, "I'm making earrings for him."
Hahaha.
I'd let it close up if you feel they're in the wrong place.

amother

Post Tue, Jan 23 2007, 3:53 am
does anyone have experience with closing up a earing hole? does it leave a scar? She hadthe piercing done about 2 weeks ago.

eema

Post Tue, Jan 23 2007, 5:55 am
no it won't leave a scar if she just got them pierced a couple of weeks ago. trust me, before I made teshuvah, I had over 20 piercings in my ears (not to mention the other numerous amounts I had all over my body), and I had them for over ten years, and most of them did not leave a scar, and I've had them out for around 5 years now.

chocolate moose

Post Tue, Jan 23 2007, 11:16 am
I'd leave it alone. One of my ears is pierced a little low and I lead a full and exciting life!

Mirabelle

Post Tue, Jan 23 2007, 2:53 pm
I really want to get my baby's ears pierced but I am holding myself back.
I will wait until she asks me. I got mine done (for the first time, I have had many since!) when I was 10 and it did feel like a big event. I think 10 is a good age.

Squash

Post Tue, Jan 23 2007, 3:01 pm
chocolate moose wrote:
I'd leave it alone. One of my ears is pierced a little low and I lead a full and exciting life!

lol LOL

Squash

Post Tue, Jan 23 2007, 3:06 pm
shosh2008 wrote:
(for the first time, I have had many since!) when I was 10 and it did feel like a big event. I think 10 is a good age.

That's an interesting point. My mother didn't have my ears pierced when I was a baby. When I got older, my parents couldn't afford it, so I babysat and saved up the money for it. It WAS actually very exciting and a good feeling that I was paying for it myself.

But I also have loads of problems with the piercing. I forget whether I've had them pierced 3 or 4 times by now. With the last piercing, for some reason, a keloid (growing scar tissue) grew on each ear. Of course I can't wear earrings now, just clip ons. But I also had to have the keloids removed, which cost me about $750!!!!

I always wonder if you have less problems with ear piercing if you get it done younger and vice versa.

chocolate moose

Post Tue, Jan 23 2007, 3:08 pm
I didn't want mine done until I was 20, belive it or not. But I had DD's done at 18 mos, the latest "safe" time you can pierce a baby's ears.

Not all girls want to wear earrings, remember.

Squash

Post Tue, Jan 23 2007, 3:10 pm
My daughter's ears were pierced when she was two days old!!! (does anyone smell a hungarian here? Very Happy )

Seriously, it was not planned. We just happened to be at the right place at the right time.

Mirabelle

Post Tue, Jan 23 2007, 3:11 pm
I dont know, my mother has never had her ears pierced and when she took me to get mine she made a really really big deal about taking care of them and keeping them clean, so I didnt DARE disobey. When I was a teenager and went to Israel for the summer I got second holes, I was a lot less careful and they got infected. I think when you are a teenager you are less worried about the consequences of your actions, than when you are a younger kid and actually scared of your parents.

chocolate moose

Post Tue, Jan 23 2007, 5:20 pm
I went to a nurse even tho it cost more.

greenfire

Post Tue, Jan 23 2007, 8:16 pm
I pierced all Lady Lady Lady 3 girls when they were just a couple of months - they scream for a second and then it's over oh and I had to nurse them right away.

Funny story - with my first kid I went w/a friend who had a 2 yr old and she wouldn't let them pierce the other ear Lady

anuta

Post Tue, Jan 23 2007, 9:19 pm
happymom wrote:
I dont believe in piercing babies ears so when anyone asks me when ill pierce my daughters I always say, when she asks me. WELL, little did I know that shed ask me when she was one and a half! Lol, since shes been 20 months (shes almost 2) shes been saying mommy I want earings!!!! LOL..... I told her she can have when she gets a little older...Smile

I actually want to get her stick on earings... does anyone know where I can buy those?

My almost three year old started asking me for earrings (I never take mine off, and she got interested). I told her it hurts and explained how they pierce the ears with a sharp needle... She still kept asking. I took off my earring to show her the hole and to repeat my story about pain, and as soon as she saw it, she covered her ears and screamed "no, no!". LOL. I think she imagined I was about to pierce her ears then and there.
I will wait until she asks and is not deterred by pain. I got mine pierced at 14.

amother

Post Tue, Jan 23 2007, 9:25 pm
I would feel bad making my kid cry from pain even for a second for the admration of others..... I mean thats what I feel taht the earings are for everyone else and the little baby couldnt care less.... thats one reason im waiting till my daughter is older..
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics