Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
My 2 yr old is killing me!
1  2  Next

withhumor

Post Fri, Feb 16 2007, 2:07 pm
For 2 months now she plays with her # 2. she digs in and squishes it and smears it all over, and uses it like crayons. In the beginning I never said anything. I would take her and clean her p and then the house and hope it never happens again. She picks shabbos to do it and then it’s awful to clean her up without a hot bath! I am losing my cool and I’m afraid I’m going to get so mad next time that I’ll explode and even smack her, and she’s just a baby! She doesn’t deserve this.

Why would a child do it…… how can I teach her that it is so disgusting. She’s a very particular kid, she doesn’t like her hands dirty from food and stuff, so why doesn’t this gross her out? I’m at wits end. Been going on for weeks now.

amother

Post Fri, Feb 16 2007, 2:22 pm
Is she trained? Is she digging into her pamper or into the toilet bowl? If its the latter then why dont you just make sure to flush as soon as something comes out?

withhumor

Post Fri, Feb 16 2007, 2:48 pm
She toilet trained herself a long time ago. His is when she wakes up early when everyone’s a asleep and she digs in to her pamper that she wears a night. OR, this morning, before I posted this she had an accident in the house and instead of telling me she just makes herself at home.

S.Shcwartz

Post Fri, Feb 16 2007, 2:56 pm
I hear it's normal for children to do this out of curiousity.

Mitzvahmom

Post Fri, Feb 16 2007, 3:00 pm
if it I makes u feel any better my now 8 year old, when she was a bit younger than 2 reached into her pampers and started painting with the #2 all over her car seat

withhumor

Post Fri, Feb 16 2007, 3:35 pm
Ok all my kids did it, one did it once and the other did it twice. But this is not going away and I simply wonder how long I’m supposed to hold my cool!

Yehudis!

Post Fri, Feb 16 2007, 3:56 pm
My 2 year old boy did this for a period of months (he is 3.5 now.) I had access to receiving help and advice with this problem because he was diagnosed with development delays due to lead poisoning. Obviously there is a low chance that the problem you are facing is anything more than just a "phase" and your pediatrician could quickly confirm that.

The main point in our case was that our son was intelligent but due to his learning style, he was actually bored, and made the mess out of boredom.
To fulfill his need we bought a 12 pack of playdoh and gave him a new color (or 2) every day, and after he used up that playdoh we bought another 12 pack. Every day he played playdoh he was less and less likely to play with diaper mess. He walked around with a glob of playdoh and even took it to nap/bed and we didn't care just so it made him satisfied and happy to ignore his diaper.

I am sorry you feel alone in this situation, and overall its sounds like you are doing all the right things despite your personal frustration and pain. Try the playdoh solution and for a 2 year old child, I am sure given the situation playdoh for a 2 year old on shabbos would be permitted (you could ask a rov to make sure.)

mumoo

Post Fri, Feb 16 2007, 4:36 pm
withhumor wrote:
She toilet trained herself a long time ago. His is when she wakes up early when everyone’s a asleep and she digs in to her pamper that she wears a night. OR, this morning, before I posted this she had an accident in the house and instead of telling me she just makes herself at home.

can you wake up before her? maybe check on her more frequently during the day-at least until the thrill goes away. at the least you may prevent some disasters

ds never played picasso, but he liked to take his diaper off at night and then he'd wake up in a pished bed. I started by putting the diaper on backwards. no contest. then we ducktaped the diaper. he was stalled, but successful. last, we put on the diaper backward, duck taped it and put on sleeper pajamas with the long zipper in the back. the game was over. we won.

withhumor

Post Sat, Feb 17 2007, 8:16 pm
OMG it’s so sad yet so funny but I can’t laugh. Luckily this shabbos I was watching her like a hawk and I prevented like you say a major Picasso. I love the play-dough idea. She is an usually sharp kiddo and her motor skills are scary over developed. She plays with clics toy for heaven sakes and she just turned 2! She was making wooden puzzles by 13 months… she scares me.

She is definitely doing it from boredom, no question about it. the thing is though that she wakes up really early with the birds and she doesn’t say anything. Going in to check if she’s awake is dumb because she’s a light sleeper and she’ll wake up just because I’m checking, no matte how quietly I go in to her room. It’s really a struggle for me because she’s sneaky quite and all the time has this naughty grin…. Oy.

amother

Post Sat, Feb 17 2007, 8:32 pm
just tell her a firm NO, and try very hard and STAY CALM because yes she is just a baby

BrachaVHatzlocha

Post Sat, Feb 17 2007, 8:48 pm
will she understand punishments at this point? time out? or a firm "no" as amother listed above? I don't think 2 is too young to start disciplining softly...

greenfire

Post Sat, Feb 17 2007, 8:57 pm
wow! that is a very smelly situation - sorry - no advice here but difinately be patient and think of something quick

withhumor

Post Sat, Feb 17 2007, 8:59 pm
She does get sad for like a few seconds when I ‘punish’ her. I’m not into it though. I don’t agree with corporal punishment, I believe that punishing only is effective if you warn in advance.

Squash

Post Sat, Feb 17 2007, 9:21 pm
Great advice that I once read in "Spirit" magazine (published by Yedei Chesed, Rockland County): Put her to sleep in a zip up sleeper. Cut the feet off and put it on backwards, with the zipper in the back. This way she won't be able to even get to her pamper.

Hope it helps. Good Luck!

chocolate moose

Post Sat, Feb 17 2007, 9:27 pm
Isn't that why they call it The Terrific Two's ?????

Helani

Post Sat, Feb 17 2007, 9:33 pm
I knew somebody whos kid did the same. They put him in sleeper with the zipper turned to the back until he got over it. Good luck!

mumoo

Post Sat, Feb 17 2007, 9:43 pm
mumoo wrote:
ds never played picasso, but he liked to take his diaper off at night and then he'd wake up in a pished bed. I started by putting the diaper on backwards. no contest. then we ducktaped the diaper. he was stalled, but successful. last, we put on the diaper backward, duck taped it and put on sleeper pajamas with the long zipper in the back. the game was over. we won.

Quote:
I knew somebody whos kid did the same. They put him in sleeper with the zipper turned to the back until he got over it. Good luck!

Squash wrote:
Great advice that I once read in "Spirit" magazine (published by Yedei Chesed, Rockland County): Put her to sleep in a zip up sleeper. Cut the feet off and put it on backwards, with the zipper in the back. This way she won't be able to even get to her pamper.

or maybe you read it in the top post
sorry for the self-indulgence, I was just feeling invisible for a minute

withhumor

Post Sun, Feb 18 2007, 9:26 am
Don’t worry, I’m devouring every word here. I do have 2 sleepers left over from her baby years… but I can’t see myself doing it every night just for the sake of prevention…. I’m wondering more about what to do AFTER it happens.

greenfire

Post Sun, Feb 18 2007, 10:33 am
withhumor wrote:
Don’t worry, I’m devouring every word here. I do have 2 sleepers left over from her baby years… but I can’t see myself doing it every night just for the sake of prevention…. I’m wondering more about what to do AFTER it happens.

why would you wait till after - when you could prevent ... do you like torturing yourself and family with all that c_ _ p!

RedVines

Post Sun, Feb 18 2007, 12:11 pm
my 2 yr. old just stuck her finger in her diaper and I FREAKED out...like that was disgusting, never ever again...and so far so good...I hope!
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics