Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
Too fat to swim?
1  2  Next

amother

Post Thu, Jun 06 2013, 10:39 am
I was always insecure about my body. And therefore haven't worn a bathing suit or gone swimming since my preteen years. I am now a grown woman. And I am fat. My husband takes our kids swimming. I still don't wear a bathing suit publicly. But never admit that out loud. Just play it off like I don't like to swim.
This summer my daughter will be too old to swim during men's hrs. What to do? And how to do it without passing along my unhealthy body image issues?

vintagebknyc

Post Thu, Jun 06 2013, 10:42 am
get her a cute suit--maybe make a big deal about getting her first grown-up suit? really, just make it all about her.

and get yourself a cute swimdress and get in the water, even if you only do so to splash with her.

notshanarishona

Post Thu, Jun 06 2013, 11:12 am
You could always swim with a t-shirt on top of your bathing suit.

mandr

Post Thu, Jun 06 2013, 11:48 am
With a t-shirt and shorts above the bathing suit, you can mitigate it somewhat. But there's no such thing as too fat to swim, if that's what you're wondering.

naturemom

Post Thu, Jun 06 2013, 11:59 am
Never too fat to swim!!!
Get a coverup like tshirt over your suit, and please enjoy yourself.
Swimming is too much fun to give up. Smile

flowerpower

Post Thu, Jun 06 2013, 12:00 pm
You can find a nice two piece bathing suit or put a tshirt over your bathing suit. That will make you feel less self conscious. No one is too fat to swim.

bigsis144

Post Thu, Jun 06 2013, 12:02 pm
notshanarishona wrote:
You could always swim with a t-shirt on top of your bathing suit.

A rash guard and board shorts are cute and safer (won't become heavy and/or float up around your head).

ex. http://www.landsend.com/pp/wom.....VALID

ETA: No such thing as too fat to swim.
Did you know, though, that chimpanzees are too muscular to swim? Their density prevents them from being bouyant. So if you're ever being chased by chimpanzees, jump in a river. Unless there are hippos or crocodiles in the water or something.

Last edited by bigsis144 on Thu, Jun 06 2013, 12:07 pm; edited 1 time in total

bamamama

Post Thu, Jun 06 2013, 12:05 pm
Own your body. Get a cute suit that is comfy and enjoy yourself!!! It's really important to project positive body image to our kids so they don't tie their self-worth to how they look!

yamz

Post Thu, Jun 06 2013, 12:12 pm
I know you won't believe me, but I promise you, unless you are wearing a bikini, nobody is going to be looking at your body-- they'll all be too worried about their own!

As others have already said, get yourself a pair of swim shorts to wear over your bathing suit. Maybe check out Land's End to see some options. You can pull on an oversized t-shirt to go with it and relax in a lounge chair poolside. You've already made it sound like you don't enjoy swimming, so this shouldn't seem unusual to your daughter. Then if/when (and I really hope it's when) you summon up the courage, you can just remove the t-shirt and jump into the pool to have some fun with your daughter. You'll be so glad you did it.

Good Luck, please don't stress about this!

amother

Post Thu, Jun 06 2013, 12:13 pm
Buy one of those modest swimsuits, they cover everything.
I'm too self conscious to wear those, so I bought surfing tight shorts (knee length) and a swimming shirt.

Isramom8

Post Thu, Jun 06 2013, 12:49 pm
The last time I was at a women's pool, I noticed something: There is such a variety of body types out there. So many really large women, and so many really tiny ones. Whatever body you have, it's probably well wthin range of other women who swim. Every woman is concerened about her own body, but no one else cares.

Raisin

Post Thu, Jun 06 2013, 12:55 pm
I got something similar to the landsend link. Shorts and a swim top. Saves on bikini/underarm waxes too.

Barbara

Post Thu, Jun 06 2013, 1:01 pm
amother wrote:
I was always insecure about my body. And therefore haven't worn a bathing suit or gone swimming since my preteen years. I am now a grown woman. And I am fat. My husband takes our kids swimming. I still don't wear a bathing suit publicly. But never admit that out loud. Just play it off like I don't like to swim.
This summer my daughter will be too old to swim during men's hrs. What to do? And how to do it without passing along my unhealthy body image issues?

You can go in a cover up if you're not going into the pool.

But you are NOT, repeat NOT too fat to swim. You're gorgeous. Go for it.

If you want a "modest" swimsuit, there are tons of links here. For a mainstream suit, go to lanebryant.com, swimsuitsforall.com or landsend.com I recommend a tankini with shorts for the bottom.

Go. Have fun. I demand it.

imasinger

Post Thu, Jun 06 2013, 1:02 pm
I agree with everyone else. Besides, if you go swimming enough, you might end up losing weight -- it's great exercise!

shoemaker

Post Thu, Jun 06 2013, 1:07 pm
check out this site hydrochic.com. thay have very cool stuff, love them enjoy.

Ruchel

Post Thu, Jun 06 2013, 1:10 pm
There are women who go in the pool fully dressed, others in tiny bikini, others in regular one piece suit. And allll body types.

bigsis144

Post Thu, Jun 06 2013, 1:11 pm
Just a thought: I noticed that this is under manners/etiquette.

How sad is it that society shames us into thinking that a fat person's mere presence is offensive? Sad Having excess adipose tissue doesn't make you unclean or contagious...

Lady Godiva

Post Thu, Jun 06 2013, 1:16 pm
You are not too fat to swim! You may be too large to wear a bikini, but so what? (It's easier to swim in a bathing suit that covers up more anyway.) Wear a comfortable swim suit and wear a tank top or t-shirt on top if that makes you feel more comfortable and have fun with your daughter!

P.S. Please don't feel out of place in the pool. It's for women of all shapes and sizes and nobody cares what others look like.
Hug

doublemama

Post Thu, Jun 06 2013, 1:43 pm
Oh my goodness, swimming is such a fun healthy thing to do, I swim in a T-shirt and shorts sometimes and no one bats an eye. Woman within has some cute modest(er) suits, some with those little skirts. I saw this getup the other day that was an actual dress made out of swimsuit material over a wetsuit thing , very, very modest. Life is too short, and if someone stares then they can just watch you having a good time!

IRock

Post Thu, Jun 06 2013, 2:25 pm
This is too crazy, OP. I could've written the exact same post! I haven't gone swimming in who knows how long! I always was on the heavy side and hated my body for it. Now, I'm actually decent on top but have massive thighs and hips. Even if I wanted to go swimming, I honestly don't remember how...
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette