Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
Too fat to swim?
Previous  1  2

amother

Post Thu, Jun 06 2013, 6:29 pm
I am also very overweight, but I love swimming. I have a hydro chic swimming suit , it's expansive $160 , but it's fits great, very slimming, it's a tznius swimsuit so I can go to mixed swimming, but I wear it to women only swimming as well. I have a very nice, slimming regular swim suit from lands end, but lately I wear only hydro chic one. Instead of sports type bra that comes with hydro chic , I wear my regular all lace bra.
I think you need to invest in a good swim suit, and the first time, go with someone who is not skinny either. Once you realize that the rest of the people are there to swim, not discuss everyone else, you would feel better. Get a nice pedi, cute swimming cap, goggles and off you go Smile

Web Page

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Jun 06 2013, 10:42 pm
My mother has always been very overweight. 5'3" tall, and over 300 lbs. She hated her body so much, and she usually refused to have her picture taken. The few times she would allow it, she'd pull my sister and me in front of her as a screen, and paste a miserable fake grin on her face.

I always thought my mother was beautiful, and it broke my heart to see her hate herself so much. Now she's gone, and I only have one picture of her. Sad

Please, for your children's sake, quit worrying about what random people are going to think about your body. Love, laugh, swim, and let them see how wonderful you are. Give them the joy of seeing you experience life. Don't hide!

I miss my mom's warm, squishy hugs SO much. Crying I would give anything to see her splashing and playing in the water. Please don't keep that from your children.

(seriously, I'm totally crying right now)

LAmom613

Post Fri, Jun 07 2013, 12:40 am
FranticFrummie wrote:
My mother has always been very overweight. 5'3" tall, and over 300 lbs. She hated her body so much, and she usually refused to have her picture taken. The few times she would allow it, she'd pull my sister and me in front of her as a screen, and paste a miserable fake grin on her face.

I always thought my mother was beautiful, and it broke my heart to see her hate herself so much. Now she's gone, and I only have one picture of her. Sad

Please, for your children's sake, quit worrying about what random people are going to think about your body. Love, laugh, swim, and let them see how wonderful you are. Give them the joy of seeing you experience life. Don't hide!

I miss my mom's warm, squishy hugs SO much. Crying I would give anything to see her splashing and playing in the water. Please don't keep that from your children.

(seriously, I'm totally crying right now)

What a beautiful, heartwarming, and bitter-sweet post. I am sorry for all the things you feel you missed. Clearly your mother was beyond fantastic to raise such a warm and loving daughter. I hope you are blessed with daughters to pass that on to. (and ps I am crying with you).

HindaRochel

Post Fri, Jun 07 2013, 1:51 am
Go swim. Swimming is one of the best things you can do for your body. There are suits for every size and type of body; find one that enhances your figure. Just google best bathing suit plus-size figure.

Play, laugh, splash, have fun with your daughter, that's what swimming is all about.

chani8

Post Fri, Jun 07 2013, 4:47 am
Wow, FranticFrummie, you were so lucky to have a warm squishy mother. I'm crying too, for both of our losses.

amother

Post Fri, Jun 07 2013, 8:07 am
amother wrote:
I was always insecure about my body. And therefore haven't worn a bathing suit or gone swimming since my preteen years. I am now a grown woman. And I am fat. My husband takes our kids swimming. I still don't wear a bathing suit publicly. But never admit that out loud. Just play it off like I don't like to swim.
This summer my daughter will be too old to swim during men's hrs. What to do? And how to do it without passing along my unhealthy body image issues?

Can I just say, OP, that you need some Big is Beautiful hashkafa. Go shopping and start dressing like you think you are hot. Israelis do it all the time. Being big, over here, is totally not looked down on.

greenfire

Post Fri, Jun 07 2013, 8:18 am
as a person addicted to the water ... I just go & pretend I'm a zexy fish ... I have too much FUN to care if anybody is watching [once somebody wanted to take pictures of me cause I was dancing in the water as the sun went down]

besides it's the best workout - easy on the bones and joints

so get yourself a swimsuit you fancy and go & have FUN !!!

marina

Post Fri, Jun 07 2013, 9:47 am
get an A-line bathing suit dress. You will look great in it and these are the rage.

This is what I mean. A little pricey but they look awesome.

http://www.womanwithin.com/Plu.....22505

greenfire

Post Fri, Jun 07 2013, 9:51 am
if you look in marshall's you can find a bathing suit for around $30 ... just try on enough of a variety to see which you feel best in ... also get one with a girdle-like panel in the front so it holds you a little better

amother

Post Fri, Jun 07 2013, 11:02 am
I have the same exact problem!!! embarrassed My kids beg me to swim with them but I am to embarrassed.
I absolutely LOVE swimming!!! Sad Sad
I have large thighs and I did not find swim dresses/shorts that go low enough. Crying

amother

Post Fri, Jun 07 2013, 1:30 pm
I feel you!
You could buy a tshirt for over the bathing suit that comes down a little longer from the lingerie shop if you want to try on. They have all sizes prints and colors I think for under 40$
Hope this helps! Enjoy the water

amother

Post Fri, Jun 07 2013, 4:21 pm
amother wrote:
I have the same exact problem!!! embarrassed My kids beg me to swim with them but I am to embarrassed.
I absolutely LOVE swimming!!! Sad Sad
I have large thighs and I did not find swim dresses/shorts that go low enough. Crying

I am a previous amother, hydrochic skirt goes past the knee, they also have plus sizes and extra long skirts for tall people, I know I sound like their salesperson, but I just love my swimming suit.

amother

Post Fri, Jun 07 2013, 4:25 pm
http://hydrochic.com/plus-size......html

A skirt like this. Very comfortable to swim, dries fast.

FranticFrummie

Post Fri, Jun 07 2013, 4:36 pm
There is an Xian site that makes wonderful swim skirts, and you can mix them up with whatever type of top you feel comfortable in. Dressingforhisglory.com

If you need a custom size they will make whatever you want. The customer service there is PHENOMENAL. I've never dealt with such nice people, and they're always happy to hear from Orthodox Jews, muslims, etc. Their "in stock" skirts come right to the knee, and I asked them to add several inches in length to mine and my daughters. It was no problem at all.

They do plus sizes really well too, and don't charge an insane amount of money for larger sizes (what I call the "fat tax"). I paid $55 for my skirt, and it's lasted over 3 years now and looks brand new. I think that the plus sizes are only about $65, and the quality is terrific. Money well spent, IMHO.

chocolate moose

Post Fri, Jun 07 2013, 4:48 pm
dOESN'T FAT MATke you ... bouyant?
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette