Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Is France Safe?

queenert

Post Tue, Sep 16 2014, 8:09 am
Is it safe these days to walk around in France looking obviously Jewish?

Ruchel

Post Tue, Sep 16 2014, 8:10 am
Where?

amother

Post Tue, Sep 16 2014, 8:13 am
Yes, I was there a month ago. And I was in a very "bad" neighborhood.

Ruchel

Post Tue, Sep 16 2014, 8:18 am
Since this can benefit more than one person I'll write more even though I'm exhauuuuusted lol

My own rule of thumb:
-is there a riot going on?
-as a single white woman are you afraid to take out your iphone, go around freely?

If both answers are no then go ahead and don't wear a cap on your kippa or wtv.

Bear in mind what happened, happened in 2 areas. France is composed of thousands (?) of areas. Posh areas are better because they don't want troubles there, a classic.

Now if you mean terrorism, there have been the usual threats on "insert the significant French symbols". I hear they're rioting in a frontier town between Belgium and France, going after (non Jewish) cars and people, and the mayor wanting emergency state. So I guess google the name of your future neighbourhood.

naturalmom5

Post Tue, Sep 16 2014, 9:07 am
If it's a business trip or visiting family listen to ruchel
If it's just a vacation why do you want to give those filthy antisemites money when there are so many nice places to go

amother

Post Tue, Sep 16 2014, 9:11 am
naturalmom5 wrote:
If it's just a vacation why do you want to give those filthy antisemites money when there are so many nice places to go

So because there are anti-Semites in France you shouldn't go there? Not everybody is antisemitic. I am French and feel insulted by your comment. There are many anti-Semites in the States too, as in many other countries!

MaBelleVie

Post Tue, Sep 16 2014, 9:19 am
naturalmom5 wrote:

Along the same lines, we should stop supporting Israel because Israel provides assistance to Palestinians.

For those not so politically inclined, the French govt tends to be pro Israel. France also has a huge Jewish population, and I certainly would not want their economy to suffer.

Ruchel

Post Tue, Sep 16 2014, 12:11 pm
And we're already suffering plenty, both Jews and non jews... The crisis is something there, I can tell you (though I hear not worse than most neighbour countries). Many many many parents at my kids' are unemployed. sigh

Third kehila in the world, and proud Heart

queenert

Post Fri, Sep 19 2014, 9:16 am
We were considering a flight with a stopover in France but they charge 9x more for a lap child than Turkish air.
Sad
We'd have loved to support the beautiful French community (I'd been before…you're really an incredibly nice bunch!)

Thanks for all your responses!

Now I'm off to ask if Turkey's safe…Smile
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics