Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
Do you consider omitting something a lie?
Previous  1  2

zaq

Post Mon, Nov 24 2014, 7:07 pm
amother wrote:
The whole truth...

Is it considered perjury if you don't say the whole truth?

"The whole truth" doesn't mean blabbing everything that's in your head. Your lawyer, regardless of which side you're speaking for, will instruct you to answer only the question you are asked and not volunteer any details for which you are not asked. So if the question is "was the defendant wearing a light raincoat?" you say yes or no and don't add "but she had a heavy fisherman-knit sweater underneath it" unless you are asked.

OTOH If you are asked "who was present at the meeting?" and you say "Mr. X, Mr. Y, and Mr. Z" conveniently omitting Mr. A who was also there, then, yes, that is perjury. The difference between false statement and perjury AIUI is that perjury is lying (including omitting material information) under oath while false statement is lying to a government official such as an investigator. lawyer amothers, correct me if I'm wrong or inaccurate in this.

Barbara

Post Mon, Nov 24 2014, 7:39 pm
yo'ma wrote:
I'm not thinking of anything in particular, just in general. If it depends, then please share on what, etc...

If its something important, something that people are depending upon knowing and would expect you to tell, yes, its a lie if its omitted.

Not if its an inconsequential detail.

Eg, I went to Staples today to buy pens for DS. They were marked "clearance $3," but rang up as $13. I wasn't in the mood to argue, so I told them to forget it; I'll pick up pens another time. Now, if DH asks me if I went out at lunch today, I might say, "no, I ate leftovers at my desk," and not mention Staples. There's no information he needs to know.

But let's say I spent $600 there. Then he would need to know, since its a big chunk of change to consider in out budget.

amother

Post Mon, Nov 24 2014, 8:21 pm
Saying no I didn't go out during lunch break today is a lie. Outright denial of a fact that you went somewhere.

Not telling him where you went is an omission and not a problem because it's not important.

Unless I misunderstood your example?

amother

Post Mon, Nov 24 2014, 8:23 pm
zaq wrote:
"The whole truth" doesn't mean blabbing everything that's in your head. Your lawyer, regardless of which side you're speaking for, will instruct you to answer only the question you are asked and not volunteer any details for which you are not asked. So if the question is "was the defendant wearing a light raincoat?" you say yes or no and don't add "but she had a heavy fisherman-knit sweater underneath it" unless you are asked.

OTOH If you are asked "who was present at the meeting?" and you say "Mr. X, Mr. Y, and Mr. Z" conveniently omitting Mr. A who was also there, then, yes, that is perjury. The difference between false statement and perjury AIUI is that perjury is lying (including omitting material information) under oath while false statement is lying to a government official such as an investigator. lawyer amothers, correct me if I'm wrong or inaccurate in this.

Got it. Perfect example to clarify the difference.

amother

Post Mon, Nov 24 2014, 8:28 pm
amother wrote:
She said that if it depends, please explain for what. I guess that that is her question then, which is why I shared information about my marriage. BTW, why are you amother?

Cuz I was lied to by omission when asking for information, too. And now it's hard to forgive those people.

I'm sure there are many more like us. So I suggested a spin-off...

Sorry if I sounded harsh in my post. I didn't mean to. I was just triggered I guess.

chani8

Post Tue, Nov 25 2014, 4:18 am
Toeles has everything to do with what is permitted and what isn't.

Omitting something may be required al pi halacha.

One is permitted to outright lie in certain circumstances.

You have to learn the halachas of shmiras haloshen.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette