Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
I have a really weird reading addiction

amother

Post Sun, Feb 08 2015, 1:03 pm
I have always loved reading. As a kid I would read all the time and my parents had to take away my books at mealtime (except breakfast I think). Reading was definitely not allowed at the shabbos table. Anyway, since then I have developed this weird addiction/habit, where I cannot imagine eating anything unless I am reading. If other people are around, or I am out with someone I will eat and socialize, but If I am by myself I will scour the house for something to read before I eat, even if I am STARVING. This is not very functional

amother

Post Sun, Feb 08 2015, 1:07 pm
I never thought it was a problem.

Is there a twelve steps program for us word addicts?

I use my phone these days, ebooks, news sites, imamother... no more scouring the house lol.

amother

Post Sun, Feb 08 2015, 1:09 pm
Totally relate! Hey, I need one more cookie because I'm not done the article then I need another article because I'm not done my new cookie. And on and on.

I'm working very hard to stop the habit of eating and reading. It's something I really struggle with, and I know it directly causes my overeating.

watergirl

Post Sun, Feb 08 2015, 1:09 pm
I do that too. So does my husband and my daughter. As long as its during meals with out other people, whats the problem?

amother

Post Sun, Feb 08 2015, 1:13 pm
Let's all say it together, the first step is admitting we have a problem...

Rolling Laughter

ImaCohen4

Post Sun, Feb 08 2015, 1:18 pm
You sound well adjusted to me. You know when to put the reading material down and socialize and when alone you prefer to read. Some of us prefer to stimulate our minds 24/7 while some prefer to find relaxation by doing nothing and listening to peace and quiet ( if they can find it ). Different strokes for different folks. I know plenty of men who won't go to the bathroom without finding reading material to bring with them. While not my choice it's theirs and it's perfectly ok. So enjoy and love reading as so many of us do even when eating. :-)

Terri

Post Sun, Feb 08 2015, 2:04 pm
I totally relate. I used to think nothing of it but I've become aware that it's so much healthier for us to live our lives with mindfulness, focused on one thing at a time. Creates inner peace. Also when I'm having a snack and a young child is with me, they'd really like my attention... Though I'd rather read...

amother

Post Sun, Feb 08 2015, 2:13 pm
Yup I totally relate as well. The problem is that because of that I eat way too muc. Its bad for my diet. But it's so fun. I have been trying to stop but it's not working very well.

greenfire

Post Sun, Feb 08 2015, 2:31 pm
now imagine the same addiction only with going to the bathroom - not I personally but there are those that do

I think that reading & eating would make me forget that I ate and I would be eating a lot more

Iymnok

Post Sun, Feb 08 2015, 2:40 pm
Another reading addict here!

Shoelover

Post Sun, Feb 08 2015, 2:51 pm
I'm the same way!!!!!

amother

Post Sun, Feb 08 2015, 2:58 pm
greenfire wrote:
now imagine the same addiction only with going to the bathroom - not I personally but there are those that do

I think that reading & eating would make me forget that I ate and I would be eating a lot more

This used to be me before I lost 70 lbs. Now I still eat and read but within certain strict guidelines: only at the kitchen table when I'm eating breakfast or lunch alone. I don't allow myself extra food beyond what I had planned for the meal just so I can 'finish the article' or the page. No snacking - anywhere in the house- just so I can settle down to read.
However, lest anyone be jealous of me that I have successfully conquered this addiction, you should just know that I no longer read the way I used to. I do read newspapers and magazines but I almost never read books anymore - certainly not fiction - and when I do it's an effort, because I don't have the attention span that the snacking used to support. I miss reading so much. It used to be such an important part of my life and now it is an enjoyment and relaxation - not to mention a stimulation, that I no longer have.
For me though the choice is clear - if I want to keep the weight off I can never go back to eating and reading. It was a habit that was a main cause of my weight gain, especially after I had kids.

amother

Post Sun, Feb 08 2015, 3:14 pm
Op here,
So I'm normal?!! Ok great! I don't feel so weird anymore. Thanks for sharing. I'm off to eat my sandwich and read real simple

spring13

Post Sun, Feb 08 2015, 3:34 pm
I do that. I like having the mental stimulation, I get bored otherwise.

Fox

Post Sun, Feb 08 2015, 3:57 pm
Oh, absolutely! Eating and reading is one of the great pleasures of life, as far as I'm concerned.

Everyone in my family laughs at me and DS -- we used to go to the pizza shop together Motzoi Shabbos, Kindles in hand, and spend a lovely hour reading and eating pizza.

bandcm

Post Sun, Feb 08 2015, 4:01 pm
I do that. I didn't think it was an addiction, and I only do it when I am alone. Although sometimes it will be a cookbook, for lack of anything more stimulating. And I don't put on excess weight because I make my plate before I get my book, and when I have finished what's on my plate, that's that.
My nine-year-old daughter does the same thing, but I have taught her that it is rude to read at the table when there are other peole eating at the same table. It's only for when we are alone Smile

carrot

Post Sun, Feb 08 2015, 10:08 pm
This is totally me!!!

The problem I have is that I end up hungry because of this habit, rather than overweight. I can't really eat to satiation unless I'm reading. But I have little kids to take care of most of the time. I can't just take off with a book or the laptop. And so I end up skipping meals or eating too little. I basically can't eat enough unless I am alone.

It's a big problem for me.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Mon, Feb 09 2015, 11:16 am
I don't have to read when I am eating, although I am addicted to reading and find it hard to go to sleep if I'm in the middle of something good Wink My husband enjoys reading while he eats, but doesn't have to. My oldest, on the other hand, is almost always reading while he eats (at home at least)....and while I can't say it's the most respectable thing to do at the Shabbos table, sometimes it's nice to just let him be, and be able to ask other kids parsha questions Wink I do hope that it doesn't ingrain bad habits in him with regard to mindless eating (e.g. he'll take a 4th plate of meatballs and not end up finishing it because he didn't have a chance to read his inner cues that he was full) but for now I am just happy he's eating to begin with.

animeme

Post Mon, Feb 09 2015, 11:25 am
carrot wrote:

The problem I have is that I end up hungry because of this habit, rather than overweight. I can't really eat to satiation unless I'm reading. But I have little kids to take care of most of the time. I can't just take off with a book or the laptop. And so I end up skipping meals or eating too little. I basically can't eat enough unless I am alone.

It's a big problem for me.

Me too, carrot. Though it's also because I don't like to sit down to eat unless I know I can finish without having to stop a million times. And I end up hungry AND overweight, because I grab the wrong foods for snacks to tide me over until meal time.

I also don't like to eat unless I can read because I feel like it's a lost opportunity. On weekdays I will sit and talk to my kids while they eat and maybe have a drink, and the later I can read while I eat because I'm sitting anyway, right? But if I eat with the kids, aside from a broken meal, I end up losing the opportunity to read because I don't need to sit down so I run around and do something productive:(.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room