Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Purim
How to make a fish bowl with candy

ettilou

Post Tue, Feb 10 2015, 10:45 pm
I am buying mason jar mugs with lids and I thought I'd tie in Adar by making them look like fish bowls. I know I can put rock candy on the bottom and gummy fish, what else can I add or do? Any better ideas to do with these mugs? TIA

zaq

Post Tue, Feb 10 2015, 11:01 pm
line the jar above the rock candy with crumpled clear or blue cellophane to look like water, and arrange the gummy fish between the glass and the cellophane. Then you can fill the center of the jar with just about anything. If you like to patchke, buy some fruit leather or fruit-by-the- foot and cut in thin wavy strips to resemble underwater plants or seaweed. Put these between the glass and the cellophane, too, to make it look as if the fish are swimming among them.

How about filling the center with candy "sushi"? Use fruit leather for the seaweed wrapping, marshmallows for the rice, and different-colored licorice sticks for the filling. You could do something similar with cake, using thinly sliced chocolate cake for the seaweed and whipped "cream" for the rice.

kb

Post Tue, Feb 10 2015, 11:05 pm
I wouldn't eat it. Candy that was played with and manipulated grosses me out and would be thrown out (though I might be impressed with your creativity)

cbg

Post Tue, Feb 10 2015, 11:35 pm
http://www.confessionsofacookb.....owls/

ettilou

Post Tue, Feb 10 2015, 11:49 pm
ZAQ , the cellophane idea is fantastic. I'm going to look for blue cellophane now. CBG , I loved the link, but I make them ahead and can't risk the jello ruining the candy. But it's a great idea. Thank you. Anyone else have any thing else to add to the fish bowl idea? Thank you again for helping me.

greenfire

Post Tue, Feb 10 2015, 11:57 pm
it's possible it won't be touched to grossness ... if the candy is poured into the jars

what about gravel candy with the gummy fish on top ...

miami85

Post Wed, Feb 11 2015, 1:25 am
one year I did s/t similar with juju fish in blue jello--only they don't really make blue jello so I had to get clear jello and use blue food coloring.

spikta

Post Wed, Feb 11 2015, 1:15 pm
We got a MM like that once, with jello and candy in it.
Frankly, it was pretty gross, and I'm not a picky person. The way the jello and the candy interacted made for a slimy and running food color-y experience. It was beautiful to look at, but it would make me sad if I put effort into food and it got looked at and then tossed.
Perhaps the person making it was using a bad recipe, but in any case, if you do decide to do this with jello and not cellophane, do a dry run first, before you make 30 of them.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics