Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Are overweight people discriminated against?
1  2  Next

amother
Copper

Post Sun, Jun 14 2015, 1:25 am
I have been on a few interviews over the last few months. And some of the interviews I believed, went very well. But nothing. Either they dont call back or email back or if they do it is always a rejection.
Is it a thing that heavy people are discriminated against?
I cant figure out why I am not getting any job offers, at all.

nanny24/7

Post Sun, Jun 14 2015, 1:28 am
I know someone that used to be extremely overweight and she lost a lot of weight and now she is just a little on the heavy side, she always says when she was extremely overweight she was terribly discriminated against. She said what hurt the most was how people suddenly assumed she "grew a brain" when she lost weight, and that made her suddenly realize how she had not been listened to and respected before.
I don't know if this is happening to you, but I am so sorry if it is and I wish you luck in finding the job you want. I don't know if there are any legal rights to help you with this.

amother
Brown

Post Sun, Jun 14 2015, 1:33 am
Having been both thin and overweight and then thin again, people react very different to overweight people than thin people. I feel more respected as a thin person. It could also be that I felt better and present better.

amother
Copper

Post Sun, Jun 14 2015, 1:38 am
amother wrote:
Having been both thin and overweight and then thin again, people react very different to overweight people than thin people. I feel more respected as a thin person. It could also be that I felt better and present better.
But your answer is not what I asked. People reacting differently is not what I am talking about. I have never had someone come up to me and react in a way that was not nice because I am overweight. And I show complete confidence in my interviews.
I was really asking if people dont hire someone based solely on the fact that they are overweight.

amother
Brown

Post Sun, Jun 14 2015, 1:44 am
amother wrote:
But your answer is not what I asked. People reacting differently is not what I am talking about. I have never had someone come up to me and react in a way that was not nice because I am overweight. And I show complete confidence in my interviews.
I was really asking if people dont hire someone based solely on the fact that they are overweight.

I think so.

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, Jun 14 2015, 1:54 am
Sadly, I think you're right. People won't say anything to your face, but there is a feeling that people who are overweight have emotional issues, are lazy, lack self control, and don't care about themselves. I mean, if you were "normal" you wouldn't be fat, right? Rolling Eyes

It's horrible that people think that way, but it's definitely out there. My mom was overweight all her life because of thyroid problems, and I saw how she was treated out in the world.

Tablepoetry

Post Sun, Jun 14 2015, 2:29 am
I think it depends which job, and how overweight.
For jobs where appearance is a big thing (fashion clerks,beauty consultants, air stewardesses, etc) then even being a little overweight will probably be cause for discrimination.

For jobs where appearance is less important,if at all - then being slightly overweight/full is usually not a problem. (After all, most of us are). However, if you're very overweight/obese then you probably will have to put more effort into your appearance if you want to land the job. In other words, nice clothes, make up, jewlery, hair.
I do think there is discrimination against the very overweight, and things that a thin person might get away with (say, a more schlumpy look) will prevent an obese person from getting the job.

amother
Orange

Post Sun, Jun 14 2015, 2:37 am
I'm overweight and was hired sight unseen (I work from home). I guess I got lucky.

I think employers, whether they realise it or not, often do have a prejudice against overweight/obese people. They might be worried about laziness, but more likely they're concerned about loss of productivity due to health issues.

Ruchel

Post Sun, Jun 14 2015, 8:00 am
Interestingly my Sephora has several overweight (visibly, really overweight, maybe obese) girls there.

mommy3b2c

Post Sun, Jun 14 2015, 8:16 am
Unfortunately, yes. I don't think that people even necessarily think it's because your lazy, unproductive, etc... People see fat, and they are blind to all your good qualities. I am so sorry op, I am just being honest.

PassionFruit

Post Sun, Jun 14 2015, 8:20 am
I think people deff discriminate. Think of it about school settings--how is it that the pretty thin people are also the talented, funny, popular ones? It is the sick way of the world, one thing feed into another--fat people feel insecure, so they are quiet, so they don't explore their talents, so they don't have friends. Pretty people are given acceptance from a young age, encouraged, develop well, and do well. I know my mother [she is anorexic and tiny] sees fat people and thinks "why don't they just get a hold of themselves?" or "they must have very little self-control in all areas of life if they cannot control their weight." Not all the kids in my family are thin, including me, and my father is pretty fat, but this is the way people think. There is a lot of pain that goes into the complicated, challenging ordeal of struggling with your weight. It does not reflect on who you are on the inside. But the fact is, yes, people make sweeping generalizations when they see a fat person.

amother
Copper

Post Sun, Jun 14 2015, 8:24 am
thanks everyone. I actually have two different health conditions that make it so hard to loose and extremely eady to gain weight.
I guess I just have to project mysef as something amazing.
Well, wish me luck. I finally got a call from my dream job, seriously. I just hope they take me seriously.

amother
Brown

Post Sun, Jun 14 2015, 8:35 am
amother wrote:
thanks everyone. I actually have two different health conditions that make it so hard to loose and extremely eady to gain weight.
I guess I just have to project mysef as something amazing.
Well, wish me luck. I finally got a call from my dream job, seriously. I just hope they take me seriously.

You can do great. Look super put together for your interview. We can help you if you like. If you want to share your size and shape, we can try to help you project the best image. I am the amother who was heavy.

groisamomma

Post Sun, Jun 14 2015, 8:56 am
It wasn't until I lost weight that I realized how differently people, even family, regarded me. Even when I meet new strangers that don't even know I was heavy previously their interactions with me differ significantly than what I was used to as a heavy person.

amother
Goldenrod

Post Sun, Jun 14 2015, 9:05 am
groisamomma wrote:
It wasn't until I lost weight that I realized how differently people, even family, regarded me. Even when I meet new strangers that don't even know I was heavy previously their interactions with me differ significantly than what I was used to as a heavy person.

Same here. I actually had a really hard time accepting this fact after I lost weight. It still makes me angry that I am considered more valuable all of a sudden now that I'm slim, when I've been the same exact person on the inside all along. It's really a sad statement about how shallow our society really is. My weight loss helped me professionally too btw.

zaq

Post Sun, Jun 14 2015, 10:46 am
You betcha they are. As are people who are short. It's illegal, of course, but very hard to prove.

solo

Post Sun, Jun 14 2015, 11:39 am
as someone who used to be thin and fit and is now very overweight I can say with certainty that we r discriminated against. I remember reading an article many yes ago about fat being the last frontier in discrimination. Now that I'm fat I totally agree.

mille

Post Sun, Jun 14 2015, 11:45 am
Obviously it depends. Sure, some people out there will be discriminatory even though it's illegal, but there are people who will also discriminate against women, or certain races, or people with green eyes, or whatever else they don't like.

What I think is more important is how put together you look. If you are wearing baggy, unflattering clothes because you are trying to hide your tummy, it makes you look sloppy which is definitely a negative in a job interview. Make sure you are wearing well tailored, flattering clothes, all pressed and ironed, and that you look overall put together. I think that says a lot. Also, self confidence... It does a LOT for your 'first impression' appearance. If you are obviously self conscious about how you look, it will come across in your posture, your body language... Act confident! Even if you have to fake it til you make it...

amother
Copper

Post Sun, Jun 14 2015, 1:29 pm
mille wrote:
Obviously it depends. Sure, some people out there will be discriminatory even though it's illegal, but there are people who will also discriminate against women, or certain races, or people with green eyes, or whatever else they don't like.

What I think is more important is how put together you look. If you are wearing baggy, unflattering clothes because you are trying to hide your tummy, it makes you look sloppy which is definitely a negative in a job interview. Make sure you are wearing well tailored, flattering clothes, all pressed and ironed, and that you look overall put together. I think that says a lot. Also, self confidence... It does a LOT for your 'first impression' appearance. If you are obviously self conscious about how you look, it will come across in your posture, your body language... Act confident! Even if you have to fake it til you make it...
Of course I am wearing things that make me look very put together (I am the OP) that is the most important thing to me. I never go to interviews looking like dreck. But I also have had a few interviews lately and some have felt very good and then nothing, so I was just wondering about this.
So unfair Sad
And hey, for the person who said short people too? Hey, Im short and overweight. What a great combo Sad

causemommysaid

Post Sun, Jun 14 2015, 1:36 pm
Yes unfortunately.

I think being overweight vs obese makes a difference though. someone who is a little chunky will probably be ok so long as it's not an appearance based job.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics