Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Hebrew spelling of Kayla

Chippies

Post Sun, Sep 06 2015, 6:02 pm
We have a daughter named Kayla and we need to spell her name in hebrew, but we have no idea how to spell it. We looked it up and it seems like some people end it with a heh and some with an aleph, and some use one yud and some two. What is the most common spelling? We want to go with whatever spelling is used the most.

Scrabble123

Post Sun, Sep 06 2015, 6:05 pm
There is a book on divorces which has many of the common names. Kayla is a Yiddish name which is why some people would use two yuds and an alef at the end (because that is how it would be spelled in Yiddish), but surprisingly that is not always the correct way because names should be spelled in Lashon HaKodesh and not in Yiddish. Having that in mind, my guess would be Kuf, yud, lamed, hei although it should be double checked because it is simply that - a guess. A Rov should be able to get his hands on the book and let you know the most accurate spelling.

agreer

Post Sun, Sep 06 2015, 7:23 pm
my sister spells her name kuf-yud-lamed-aleph, but I've also seen it kuf-yud-yud-lamed-ayin (also a yiddish spelling)

I think spelling it with a "hay" at the end is an israeli thing, but it's not a hebrew name

OOTBubby

Post Mon, Sep 07 2015, 7:14 am
It would be קילא. Because it is yiddish -- the "ah" ending is an aleph. And correct spelling of an long "a" like that is always only one "yud". Many people use 2 "yuds" but then find out when their kesubah is written that it should only be one yud.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names