Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Vegan/egg-allergic amothers- tell me about aquafaba

amother
Bronze

Post Sun, Dec 20 2015, 3:46 pm
Has anybody here used it? I googled, but I'm not on Facebook and I'd like to know how it's worked for "real people" and not just professional food bloggers. Do you use chickpea water, or some other legume?

smss

Post Mon, Dec 21 2015, 9:33 pm
http://www.pennilessparenting.......html

(this blog is by an imamother poster)

amother
Bronze

Post Tue, Dec 22 2015, 4:39 am
Thanks! The funny smell she mentioned doesn't seem promising, though- I'm pretty sensitive to smells in my food.

5*Mom

Post Tue, Dec 22 2015, 5:36 am
We've used garbanzo liquid for a few things: Mayo is amazing, chocolate mousse tastes delicious but it did separate a bit every time, even though we tried to tweak it. No funky smell that I noticed and I'm particularly sensitive to that sort of thing. I think I used it in place of egg in meatballs and the texture was the same as with eggs.

amother
Bronze

Post Tue, Dec 22 2015, 5:41 am
5*Mom wrote:
We've used garbanzo liquid for a few things: Mayo is amazing, chocolate mousse tastes delicious but it did separate a bit every time, even though we tried to tweak it. No funky smell that I noticed and I'm particularly sensitive to that sort of thing. I think I used it in place of egg in meatballs and the texture was the same as with eggs.

Thank you! Did you use the liquid from cans or from cooking the beans yourself? Did you need to beat it for meatballs, or just mix it in as-is?

5*Mom

Post Tue, Dec 22 2015, 9:36 am
amother wrote:
Thank you! Did you use the liquid from cans or from cooking the beans yourself? Did you need to beat it for meatballs, or just mix it in as-is?

Liquid from a can. Did not whip for meatballs. The concept is the same as for eggs: when substituting for whipped egg whites, whip the aquafaba. When substituting for unwhipped egg or egg whites, don't whip.

amother
Bronze

Post Tue, Dec 22 2015, 9:48 am
5*Mom wrote:
Liquid from a can. Did not whip for meatballs. The concept is the same as for eggs: when substituting for whipped egg whites, whip the aquafaba. When substituting for unwhipped egg or egg whites, don't whip.

Thank you! Sorry if that was a dumb question- dh is allergic so I haven't baked with eggs in several years. I feel like I've completely forgotten what I'm doing.

5*Mom

Post Tue, Dec 22 2015, 11:47 am
Not a dumb question at all. Other than the first person to discover this (how they thought of it I'll never know) how is anyone supposed to guess that bean water behaves exactly like eggs?? Incidentally, my entire family is fascinated by this and gathers 'round to watch me whip the bean liquid into mayo or my daughter whip it into mousse, and looks surprised every time when it works Smile.

smss

Post Tue, Dec 22 2015, 11:57 am
Can you post/link your mayo recipe, 5*mom? Does it really taste like normal mayo?

greenfire

Post Tue, Dec 22 2015, 12:01 pm
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aquafaba

can't wait to tell my vegan dd about this ...

btw you can also use coconut milk [as in the liquid from a coconut not actual milk product] in place of whipped topping
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen