Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)
Ugggh constant crying!

amother
Oak

Post Mon, Dec 28 2015, 1:09 am
Going through a rough patch now. DD in the past used to have fits every time she didn't get her way but we were mainly past that after a lot of work. She still occasionally has setbacks but usually it's something like she's coming down with a virus or something, and it clears up pretty quickly. But it's been more than a few days this time and I'm starting to lose it. Everything that's even slightly upsetting or disappointing, even the most everyday things that until now she was used to (like being sent back to bed after popping out... you know, routine stuff) sends her into these massive dramatic crying jags. Besides that it's sad, the constant crying and whining is giving me a huge headache. And I just don't know how to deal with this because we were mostly past it for a while already. I actually broke down yelling at her the other day which of course only made her more hysterical which only made me worse too because I was literally losing it. I was so flooded with the stress and the noise that I just couldn't think straight anymore, I had to lock myself in the bathroom to take a breather but even then I couldn't calm down from the stress because I could still hear her howling right outside the door. I settled down since then but really that's how bad it is, EVERY LITTLE THING erupts in tears.

I have no idea what's triggering this, if it was that she was getting sick then we would know by now because it's been going on about a week already. Nothing special happening in school as far as I know. Pretty calm on the home front too. I am losing it. I'm afraid my DD is losing it. Help Sad

amother
Mauve

Post Mon, Dec 28 2015, 1:25 am
My sympathys. My 10 year old son was like that until he was about 8 1/2 he would cry about . every. little . thing. Hold on. This to shall pass... but it can take all your energys out now...

amother
Oak

Post Mon, Dec 28 2015, 1:37 am
I have sensitive ears and especially now because I have a cold that is making my ears/head even more sensitive... I Cant. Stand. The crying. Auuuuuuuggggh! It's also really sad for the kid. I wish I knew how to help her not break down so much. I don't know what's going wrong that's making this happen. I don't think she knows either, I think it's something internal that for whatever reason her threshold of reasonableness just suddenly dropped way down.

I'm telling you, I have to really work to restrain myself from smacking her when she gets all hysterical and won't calm down. I am not a violent person. I don't give potches (I occasionally threaten them but since I never deliver my kids know that is just a way of saying "I am really getting upset about this!" Usually I am a much more rational discipliner). But this hysterical endless frequent crying business just has me so stressed and so helpless I am just at my wits' end.

Jewishmom8

Post Mon, Dec 28 2015, 2:00 am
It is so so hard op.
Can you put on music for yourself? To like tune it out?
I just stick in my earphones somtimes so I dont have to hear the screaming and negativity.
It helps me.

the world's best mom

Post Mon, Dec 28 2015, 7:04 am
My 3 year old has been like this too, since he became a big brother. I just ignored it for a couple of weeks, and every time we walked outside, he cried really loudly and people stared. (I guess because he always went in the stroller until we started using it for the little howling creature who is threatening to take his place as the baby of the family. He's not happy to have to walk.)

Finally, one time I had enough. I told him that he can cry until we get to the next corner, and if there's any crying after that he can't have... I forgot what but that doesn't matter. It worked. He finished his crying by the corner, though he did continue to moan after that. I've done the same trick once or twice since then, with good results.

He still does get into these moods, but considerably less often now.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Mon, Dec 28 2015, 10:20 am
When my daughter would do that, I would send her into her room. She could cry as much as she wants in there. She can come out whenever she is ready to be a normal part of our family. I would sometimes let her cry on my bed, it made her feel better.

There were also certain times of the day that she was triggered more easily. Especially at night, or if she was hungry. The key is to stop it before it escalates into a full fledged tantrum.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)