Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Is ur dh in klai kodesh

amother
Forestgreen

Post Mon, Jan 18 2016, 8:59 pm
before I even start this post please please please do not turn this into a bashing kollel thread. I am happily married for 4 years and I just found out that I am expecting my third. I have a professional job and work thirty hours a week. we are bh doing just fine financially with two kids. babysitting for a third kid will cost an additional 800 a month and that is going to be a little hard to swallow. the time is coming for dh to help out financially. Dh is in kollel but iyh getting his semicha in the next few months. he already has a btl. He is very smart and knowledgeable in a broad range of areas. He also speaks very well. He would like to stay in klai kodesh. Teaching highschool, a shul rabbi and kashrus research/administration (not mashgiach)are the areas that interest him. The problem is that these three jobs are hard to come by or there are many more applicants than jobs. I do not want him to be doing six small jobs to make ends meet. I would want him to have ideally one or two steady jobs. Is your dh in klai kodesh, what does he do and how did he get the job.

amother
Sienna

Post Mon, Jan 18 2016, 9:12 pm
DH learned for 4 years as well. I was expecting my third but still needed to finish up my internship for my graduate degree.
Though various hashagacha and help with a "headhunter" that worked for the kiruv training program DH was learning in, he landed a job working for a kiruv organization.
It's been 6 years and b''h with a few raises and promotions, we are managing.
I work part time and bring in some additional income.
We are tight, sometimes more than others but surviving b''h.

Do you or DH have connections? Ask everyone and anyone you know. Let you family get involved with mentioning his skill set, etc. And remember, everyone starts out at an entry level position. It sounds like your DH has lots of wonderful ma'alos. Please be wary of mistakenly turning down job offers because they sound too "low."

The most important thing to keep in mind is the growth potential within the job.
Hatzlocha!

mha3484

Post Mon, Jan 18 2016, 9:27 pm
Dh is a sofer. I can elaborate more of that appeals to him.

2cents

Post Mon, Jan 18 2016, 9:49 pm
My dh left kollel 3 years ago for klai kodesh. A few tips:
- network. If a guy in his kollel is a rebbe part time, or a guy in his minyan on shabbos works in a yeshiva, etc, he should let them know he is interested. Offer to substitute last minute, ask to go observe classes, ask what courses the school like rabbeim to take (in NY, for example, some yeshiva's like the rebbeim to attend torah umesorah classes, or rabbi kramer's course, or kriah courses). Show interest, availability, and willingness to work hard.

- don't expect to start at the top. Unless you have great connections, many mainstream big yeshivas won't even consider a first year rebbe. Apply to kiruv yeshivas, smaller yeshivahs, for lower grades than you would ideally want, different positions (resource room, jewish history as an afternoon/secular class in a yeshiva high school). Experience with tutoring or learning with baal batim also looks good on the resume.

I also have a sibling and a sibling in law in klay kodesh administration. For that I would to network, get your foot in the door any way possible (again, you may start with menial jobs), and add a resume of administrative experience and basic computer and media skills, and show a personable, efficient, and initiative-taking personality.

amother
Pearl

Post Tue, Jan 19 2016, 8:24 pm
Hi ladies. My DH leaned in a kollel, received his smicha 5 years ago and in kli koddesh since then. He is officially a rabbi of a small shul but the salary is very small and the position doesn't come with housing. He supplements with a local mashgiach work he shares with another kollel bochur, and teaches bar mitzvah boys. I'm still contributing more into our household budgets, big items like tuition and mortgages. He didn't want to teach in school because he doesn't have an education degree and that's not what he enjoys.

I think its important to keep an open eye. He got the current rabbi position because he worked as a 'rabbinical intern' without pay (just a small stipend), but that let him build his resume and he got good recommendation. Its a shame but he does multiple jobs and works too hard. DH would agree 200% its important to know people and get along well. Kli koddesh really needs 'people skill'. It also helps if you can consider relocating to OOT communities, less competition for the jobs but people really appreciate you and your DHs contributions. Its better to be a big fish in a small pond, you get more experience and credentials.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics