Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Purim
Creative costume for 12 yr old dd?

asweet

Post Tue, Feb 16 2016, 9:56 pm
My dd - 12 years old wants to be something different and creative...unfortunately her mom is as uncreative as they come...

what were your daughters around this age?

would love to hear ideas!

thanks

amother
Red

Post Tue, Feb 16 2016, 10:01 pm
old lady, waitress

Ihatepotatoes

Post Tue, Feb 16 2016, 10:05 pm
two sandwich boards, one for the front and one from the back. write in huge letters " yidden! please come to the aid of a poor girl who doesn't have any ideas for a creative costume!

or a cleaning lady named "vash"ti

specialmom

Post Tue, Feb 16 2016, 11:53 pm
Upside down person
Button down shirt on legs with shaitel head and wig attached to collar. Mittens on feet
Wide long skirt upside down attached to shirt with pins over top of body covering her head and socks on feet. Need to walk with hands up gets lots of stares;) venahapoch hu in a real way

bigsis144

Post Wed, Feb 17 2016, 2:32 am
Fictional characters:
* Pippi Longstocking (I made two braids and then made them stick straight out by threading a coat hanger wire through)
* Anne of Green Gables
* Hermione Granger
* Alice (from Alice in Wonderland)
* Madeline
* Nancy Drew
* Amelia Bedelia

Occupations:
* Magician
* Chef/Baker
* Doctor
* Dancer
* Pilot/Flight Attendant
* Explorer
* Florist
* Athlete
* Chimney sweep (like in Mary Poppins... shirt, vest/suspenders, smudged face, lace-up boots)

Time Periods:
* Ancient Greece/Rome/Egypt
* Wild West (either pioneer style in a dress and bonnet, or cowgirl)
* Victorian
* Age of Sail (pirate!)
* Hippie
* 1950s (poodle skirt)

--

When I was 12, I think I was Miriam HaNeviah... I had a huge, beautiful blue-and-turquoise dappled scarf that I wore with a blue tunic embroidered in silver (yay second hand stuff) and carried a tambourine.

To megillah reading, I think I was a magician -- white shirt, black skirt, sparkly bow tie and cummerbund, top hat and stuffed bunny.

--

What do you have around the house that you could work with?

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Feb 18 2016, 1:07 pm
Oh. My. Gosh. I just spent 3 hours in the local costume store, with a 12yo DD who was throwing an epic (although B'H quiet) temper tantrum.

She's a tomboy, and really into anime. Do you have any idea how hard it is to find anime cosplay stuff in a tiny town in northern Israel? Well, I do. At wits end I'm sorry honey, but you cannot be Katsune Nekko Tamagi or whatever the name is from your current fandom.

*cue temper tantrum*

FINALLY, I got her to agree to a beautiful sorceress costume. I swear, it was the only thing in this huge store that was not a Disney princess, Hello Kitty, or completely non tznius and zexy. 285 shekels later, I just want to go home and collapse, but now she wants me to alter the hem and the neckline TONIGHT, so she can take pictures and Instagram it to all her friends. Not gonna happen. She's lucky I still have enough energy to make dinner.

I'm really starting to hate this holiday. It was so much easier when she was little, and I could dress her up as a ladybug!

/vent
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics