Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
How to stop feeding in crib

amother
Plum

Post Mon, Jun 20 2016, 7:47 pm
No comments about what a bad parenting move we made, we are first time parents with no experience and this just sort of happened.

Baby only takes his last evening bottle and first morning bottle in his crib and he usually falls asleep drinking it. How can I switch over to a new routine for him, of feeding him outside the crib, and no food/drink in the crib? He won't take the bottle otherwise, just plays with it, spits it out, etc. He is 10 months old, and this has been going on for months, so he's very used to the routine already.

Please help.

chicco

Post Mon, Jun 20 2016, 7:55 pm
The baby only gets the bottle because you give it to him. So if you stop, the only problem really is dealing with him adjusting to that. (Which will likely be a big deal). I would phase the bottle out entirely and give him a sippy cup, but only out of the crib. He is old enough to learn how to drink from it. Even if he refuses in the begining, eventually, when he is thirsty, he will drink. Be prepared for everything to be thrown off for a while, youre shaking his world by this change. But ultimately it will be much better for all of you.

Also, ask your pediatrician for advice.

pesek zman

Post Mon, Jun 20 2016, 8:23 pm
Yes to the above post

You are in charge, not he. Until he is able to make his own bottle and get in crib with it, you can stop this at anytime

amother
Green

Post Mon, Jun 20 2016, 8:26 pm
We use a 'rock n play' for bottle times. Once he finishes his bottle, we put him into his crib. Maybe try something like that.

Google 'rock n play sleeper'. Its comfortable and cozy and has worked well for us.

amother
Orchid

Post Mon, Jun 20 2016, 9:08 pm
The baby can be using the bottle to relax to put himself to sleep. First he needs something else to replace the bottle. Better than him finding his thumb or worse. I'm saying that because I heard of a baby that after takeing away his milk in bed was only able to fall asleepif he banged into the bar crib. Months is still young my dr said I should use the sippy cup just for mealtime to get him used to it also juice and milk slowly got diluted to just having water in it

amother
Smokey

Post Mon, Jun 20 2016, 9:25 pm
amother wrote:
We use a 'rock n play' for bottle times. Once he finishes his bottle, we put him into his crib. Maybe try something like that.

Google 'rock n play sleeper'. Its comfortable and cozy and has worked well for us.

We did this in the stroller, until one morning, I put her in the stroller in my room with her bottle at the crack of dawn and went back into bed until I hear her throw down the bottle and start talking to herself. Next thing I know, DH says, "do you know that dd is running around the house???" It was close to an hour later. She climbed out of the stroller (it was still buckled-she wriggled out) and was roaming the house . I was horrified, I had no idea how long she was out there for or what she was doing.

embarrassed embarrassed embarrassed embarrassed embarrassed embarrassed embarrassed

Just something to keep in mind when you do this.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics